P1000 ‘16 1k-5 acts weird at 31-36 mph

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve searched all over this site for my specific problem. 2016 1000-5 deluxe with 8200 miles. When I accelerate slowly or moderately it hesitates at 3500-4000 RPM or more accurately at those RPM when it hits 31-36 MPH. It acts like it wants to grab another gear and it can’t but it’s already in 6th. It does it for a few seconds then catches again and it accelerates just fine after 36 MPH. If I accelerate rapidly - like 4500+ - it works just fine and smooth as ever. It’s only when I moderately accelerate and even when I decelerate. It hits the 31-36 MPH range and “misses” enough where it jolts you forward in your seat. It never comes close to stalling or dying, just seems to “miss” till it gets below 31 MPH or above 36 MPH. Any ideas? I’d rather not have my local jack wagon dealer charge me a grand just to drop it off. I don’t think it’s injectors. Thing runs and idles just like the day I bought it except in that very small window I described. Thanks!
BTW, I did a full oil change/sub change and air filter change and it didn’t help.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve searched all over this site for my specific problem. 2016 1000-5 deluxe with 8200 miles. When I accelerate slowly or moderately it hesitates at 3500-4000 RPM or more accurately at those RPM when it hits 31-36 MPH. It acts like it wants to grab another gear and it can’t but it’s already in 6th. It does it for a few seconds then catches again and it accelerates just fine after 36 MPH. If I accelerate rapidly - like 4500+ - it works just fine and smooth as ever. It’s only when I moderately accelerate and even when I decelerate. It hits the 31-36 MPH range and “misses” enough where it jolts you forward in your seat. It never comes close to stalling or dying, just seems to “miss” till it gets below 31 MPH or above 36 MPH. Any ideas? I’d rather not have my local jack wagon dealer charge me a grand just to drop it off. I don’t think it’s injectors. Thing runs and idles just like the day I bought it except in that very small window I described. Thanks!
BTW, I did a full oil change/sub change and air filter change and it didn’t help.
Pretty specific range. Can you get it to mimic this using the paddles?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wondering if it can be isolated to an rpm range vs the speed range. I don’t make claims of being much of a mechanic. There are some guys on here that have been into the shift points and fuel maps though that might be able to help better if you can isolate it further though.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's hard to read another man's explanation of his problem and diagnose it. If you are accelerating slowly with light throttle until the machine reaches 30 - 35 mp and shifts into 6th gear then pressing the gas to accelerate, that could be a sign of bad or dirty spark plugs misfiring under load.

If that's not correct, I have no idea what is causing your issue. If it was mine I would take it to a dealer and ask them to diagnose the problem and give me an estimate. I'd probably pay the price and let them repair it.

If I wanted to go cheap I would make a couple of inexpensive guesses.

First I would change the spark plugs and carefully inspect the plug wires and the way they are toured to make sure nothing is contacting either.

Second, I would run a tank or two full of gas with a bottle of Chevron Techron additive added to each tank full. Techron is an excellent fuel additive for injector cleaning. It works.

If those two wild guesses don't help the only thing I know to do is take it to a dealer and pay the one hour labor charge most dealers charge to diagnose.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
One question, its a 16’ did u get the clutch campaign update done?
Also, have you cahnged the injector wiring harness that plagues
The the early P1 models?
Thats “injector harness” not the injector itself.

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's hard to read another man's explanation of his problem and diagnose it. If you are accelerating slowly with light throttle until the machine reaches 30 - 35 mp and shifts into 6th gear then pressing the gas to accelerate, that could be a sign of bad or dirty spark plugs misfiring under load.

If that's not correct, I have no idea what is causing your issue. If it was mine I would take it to a dealer and ask them to diagnose the problem and give me an estimate. I'd probably pay the price and let them repair it.

First I would change the spark plugs and carefully inspect the plug wires and the way they are toured to make sure nothing is contacting either.

Second, I would run a tank or two full of gas with a bottle of Chevron Techron additive added to each tank full. Techron is an excellent fuel additive for injector cleaning. It works.

If those two wild guesses don't help the only thing I know to do is take it to a dealer and pay the one hour labor charge most dealers charge to diagnose.
Just a moderate steady consistent acceleration. I don’t “step on it” after or approaching the problem speed. If I accelerate more aggressively from 0 mph then there is no problem at all.

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One question, its a 16’ did u get the clutch campaign update done?
Also, have you cahnged the injector wiring harness that plagues
The the early P1 models?
Thats “injector harness” not the injector itself.
Clutch was done in 17 (I think that was the year) on the recall.
Haven’t heard of the injector wiring harness issues before. This thing has been problem free for 6+ years and 8200 miles so I’ve never had to spend much time here. Is there a link to the harness?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Clutch was done in 17 (I think that was the year) on the recall.
Haven’t heard of the injector wiring harness issues before. This thing has been problem free for 6+ years and 8200 miles so I’ve never had to spend much time here. Is there a link to the harness?

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you in low range if so thats all you have.
High range

Well I put a quart of sea foam in it and did about a 30 mile drive. Let it idle for about 5 mins before taking off. Acted up once in the first half mile and then never again in the next 30. You gotta be kidding me. Is it possible it worked that quickly? This thing has done it without fail the past 500ish miles. Hot or cold engine. Didn’t matter. I did everything I could to make it do it again on this ride and nothing. Manual mode. Auto mode. Sport mode. No issues after the first half mile. I don’t hardly dare believe it.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
High range

Well I put a quart of sea foam in it and did about a 30 mile drive. Let it idle for about 5 mins before taking off. Acted up once in the first half mile and then never again in the next 30. You gotta be kidding me. Is it possible it worked that quickly? This thing has done it without fail the past 500ish miles. Hot or cold engine. Didn’t matter. I did everything I could to make it do it again on this ride and nothing. Manual mode. Auto mode. Sport mode. No issues after the first half mile. I don’t hardly dare believe it.
Sometimes being lucky is better than being good!

Nomojic

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
High range

Congratulations! Sometimes the simplest, most basic solutions to a problem produce results.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup like i tell my young techs at work. Work smarter not harder. Do the easy stuff first, 9 times out 10 youll find it there.
Agree! Going through Navy Electronics Technician "A" School, back in '63/'64. one of the first rules of troubleshooting was and remains, "Check the Easy Stuff First". On board ship, this was quickly followed by the "Floatation Test". :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!