P1000 2020 1000-5 acts crazy at 4k rpm

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So there IS and angle sensor!?! I hadn't seen it in the manual, but I'll look for it now and check it. Thanks!

That's been my problem the whole time, I don't have spark. I have proper power to the coils just nothing coming out.
It sounds like your coils are grounded out in much the same manner as a kill switch. You said you fried some wires from your winch set up. You may have melted or fused together some wires.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You know, my idea could be wrong about the Pioneer 1000 having a Bank Angle Sensor. I'll grab my manual and look more closely.
Or ping @HondaTech verify.
Is the angle sensor inside the steering assy. ?

Reactions: Smitty335
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

# 10
But I think there are 3 types of angle sensors. Including the steering.
But I'm hip shooting until in front of manual and schematics.

Reactions: ChadD
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That's been my problem the whole time, I don't have spark. I have proper power to the coils just nothing coming out.
If there's no spark the fuel injectors won't fire either, that's how the P5/5.2's are, would assume the bigger machines are programmed similar.

M

Msmdomination

Feb 5, 2022
Birmingham
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If there's no spark the fuel injectors won't fire either, that's how the P5/5.2's are, would assume the bigger machines are programmed similar.
That makes sense. I knew that if there is a bad injector it would kill everything, including the coils, but injectors checked out fine. I just couldn't see fuel coming out, but now I know why. Thanks!

View attachment 402558
# 10
But I think there are 3 types of angle sensors. Including the steering.
But I'm hip shooting until in front of manual and schematics.
THANK YOU! I couldn't find it in the manual, nor the microfiche. Now that I know where it is I should be able to find it in the manual.
It sounds like your coils are grounded out in much the same manner as a kill switch. You said you fried some wires from your winch set up. You may have melted or fused together some wires.
I thought so too, but I've checked and re-checked many times and I have perfect continuity from the coils all the way back to the PCM. If there was an open or short in there it should've showed up.

*****Can anyone tell me more about the drive power circuit? What does it do? Why is it needed? What are some issues it may have that isn't listed in the manual? I've checked it per the manual at least 5 times, had fresh eyes check it twice, and even changed out the PCM to a known good one. Yet it checks out fine every. single. time. What's NOT in the manual I should check.

It's the only code that has been tripped more than once. Maybe it's something connected to the drive power circuit that's failed even though the circuit itself is fine?********

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So there IS and angle sensor!?! I hadn't seen it in the manual, but I'll look for it now and check it. Thanks!

Do you have power at coils while cranking.What about the ign switch maybe bad on one out put.When it was breaking up coming home could that have been the seatbelt.

Reactions: Msmdomination
M

Msmdomination

Feb 5, 2022
Birmingham
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys. Here is THE update.

The ultimate culprit (hopefully) was.........drum roll please....................

THE STATOR!!!!

I had checked the CKP previously, but it checked out fine. Where I ran into trouble was my peak voltage tester. It was bad.

With new leads from Amazon I retested the coils. Still had proper battery voltage, but one coil didn't read ANY initial voltage upon cranking, while the other read within tolerance. I then rechecked the peak voltage at the PCM and sure enough, same thing.

So, while I feel pretty confident I have found the problem, I'm not out of the woods yet. However, I'm confident enough to drop $400 on a new stator if that tells you anything.

Of course, I'll update yall after it comes in and I get it installed. Fingers crossed. (I've been wrong about thinking I was wrong before 😜)

Thanks again for all your help!

M

Msmdomination

Feb 5, 2022
Birmingham
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BTW, I still don't know what the drive power circuit is, nor how it relates to the stator. If anyone can enlighten me it would be much appreciated!!! @HondaTech maybe??

Reactions: ChadD
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok guys. Here is THE update.

The ultimate culprit (hopefully) was.........drum roll please....................

THE STATOR!!!!

I had checked the CKP previously, but it checked out fine. Where I ran into trouble was my peak voltage tester. It was bad.

With new leads from Amazon I retested the coils. Still had proper battery voltage, but one coil didn't read ANY initial voltage upon cranking, while the other read within tolerance. I then rechecked the peak voltage at the PCM and sure enough, same thing.

So, while I feel pretty confident I have found the problem, I'm not out of the woods yet. However, I'm confident enough to drop $400 on a new stator if that tells you anything.

Of course, I'll update yall after it comes in and I get it installed. Fingers crossed. (I've been wrong about thinking I was wrong before 😜)

Thanks again for all your help!
should be able to test the stator with a descent DVM, its just a 3 phase wye connection, so reading through 2 coils at a time and checking to ground will give you the health of the stator - u r looking for all 3 phases to be close to each other and manual spec and no short to ground - when spinning machine over you should see ac voltage on each phase as well

my recommendation is to also test voltage regulator - the electrical system was giving all it had when it was a dead short to ground

M

Msmdomination

Feb 5, 2022
Birmingham
Ownership

1. 1000-5
should be able to test the stator with a descent DVM, its just a 3 phase wye connection, so reading through 2 coils at a time and checking to ground will give you the health of the stator - u r looking for all 3 phases to be close to each other and manual spec and no short to ground - when spinning machine over you should see ac voltage on each phase as well

my recommendation is to also test voltage regulator - the electrical system was giving all it had when it was a dead short to ground
Yep. Stator is toast. Already have an OEM one one the way.

Good call on the regulator. I wouldn't have thought of that, but makes total sense.

H

HondaTech

I've had a unit that wouldn't start (no spark) once with the same problem.

CKP sensor voltage at the plug but when connected to the wiring harness it wouldn't start. The sensor was shorted internally and made a circuit when plugged in.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!