P1000 ‘22 Cold Air Through Gauge Panel

Pioneep

Pioneep

Apr 30, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2022 Trail has the same issue. There is about a 3/16" gap between the gauge cluster and the dash. When it is cold out that air blasts you right in the face. My not so elegant fix was to put 1/2" wide butyl tape around the cluster to block the air. The right way would be to remove the dash and fix the reason why the cluster doesn't seat against the dash opening.

View attachment 366407
I’m glad I’m not the only one, and thanks for showing what you did. As I suspected, it’s just not a well known issue yet, ergo not something one would find in a search or fifty. Glad you’re also turning yours into a jeep, and not just settling for bundling up and enjoying that cold blast. I actually tried stuffing 1/4” backerod in there a couple nights ago, and it disappeared into the abyss. My next move was some kind of seal as you’ve done, but I was looking for something clear. I’m trying to avoid removing the dash, but if I ever get an under hood heater, I’ll maybe address the issue, from the back, while I have the front removed. Nice looking Pioneep!

Seanflyguy

Seanflyguy

May 26, 2022
Hudson
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same issue here w 2022. Purchased 1/2” wide black felt at home improvement store and slid it between cluster and plastic. Solved problem and looks good.

F1363CFC D560 43B1 BCB8 CCA7A1720B99

Pioneep

Pioneep

Apr 30, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Same issue here w 2022. Purchased 1/2” wide black felt at home improvement store and slid it between cluster and plastic. Solved problem and looks good.

View attachment 366544
Great suggestion! I wish I could see your gauge close up. I found some 3/4” clear butyl tape, which I planned on ordering if no one has it locally. But I might like your idea better

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go to Home Depot and get some backing rod.

Reactions: Smitty335
NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was gone last week, I just got back and looked. I have about an 1/8" gap. I'm thinking that I will do the same thing as Bighat and use some crystal clear silicone. I think I'll mask of the instrument cluster and fill the hole. I was looking under the hood, I'm going to try to hang some thin rubber sheet from the underside of the cowl to keep the air from rushing in around the shifter. I'll post pictures if it is successful

Pioneep

Pioneep

Apr 30, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How bout a 1/4” clear OR black soft silicone tubing stuffed in like a gasket
That’s exactly what I’ve looked for, but haven’t run across any at the local stores. I thought about removable silicone caulk, but thought I’d make a mess

Pioneep

Pioneep

Apr 30, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah I tried 1/4” backerod first thing. Didn’t work very well. Just kept falling through. Not sure if everyone’s panel is like mine, but the gap is not consistent. For example, the bottom side is pretty tight, sides are huge gaps. So, I think I may go the butyl tape route. Needs something kinda squishy and sticky, with the ability to apply more or less, as needed. I really want to get the ice crusher behind dash heater in there.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did mine today with crystal clear silicone. I taped off the instrument cluster and packed the gap full of silicone. I figure there is enough dust in there that it will separate easily enough if I need to get it apart later. It makes a big difference! I don't need my gloves on now when I drive.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did mine today with crystal clear silicone. I taped off the instrument cluster and packed the gap full of silicone. I figure there is enough dust in there that it will separate easily enough if I need to get it apart later. It makes a big difference! I don't need my gloves on now when I drive.
Does Japan have winters?

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Depends where you are, but they have lot's of snow in the winter. We sell lot's of product over there

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
that gap was to cool the electronics in the display - lol……

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
that gap was to cool the electronics in the display - lol……
Dammit ! It probably took months of engineering by Honda’s best to come up with a clever solution, And within minutes we foiled their efforts.

• Haha
Seanflyguy

Seanflyguy

May 26, 2022
Hudson
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good Evening! First time poster, long time listener
I’m not sure if the ‘22 P1000 gauge cluster is different than ‘21, but I’d like a brilliant idea on sealing it up. Obviously, cold air comes in through the opening above the steering wheel, and I’ve read that some stuff things in there. There seems to be even more coming through the gauge/instrument panel itself. Kinda wondered if anyone else noticed. This is a ‘22 P3K Deluxe with OEM roof, windshield, hard back and OEM soft uppers. I used tailgate seal on doors and where the windshield meets roof, so the thing is actually pretty tight, EXCEPT that blast of cold from the gauges. Any suggestions are appreciated!

View attachment 366165

Seanflyguy

Seanflyguy

May 26, 2022
Hudson
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good Evening! First time poster, long time listener
I’m not sure if the ‘22 P1000 gauge cluster is different than ‘21, but I’d like a brilliant idea on sealing it up. Obviously, cold air comes in through the opening above the steering wheel, and I’ve read that some stuff things in there. There seems to be even more coming through the gauge/instrument panel itself. Kinda wondered if anyone else noticed. This is a ‘22 P3K Deluxe with OEM roof, windshield, hard back and OEM soft uppers. I used tailgate seal on doors and where the windshield meets roof, so the thing is actually pretty tight, EXCEPT that blast of cold from the gauges. Any suggestions are appreciated!

View attachment 366165
Same issue w my 2022 1000-5. I utilized 1/4” door seal felt from Home depot and it sealed nicely looks ok.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!