P1000 Air Conditioner

DenMachine

DenMachine

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2020
Wisconsin/Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My fully enclosed P100-5 gets mighty hot in Arizona summers. Has anyone thought or used a 12 volt evaporator (swamp cooler) type AC?

Thanks in advance.

Denny

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
My fully enclosed P100-5 gets mighty hot in Arizona summers. Has anyone thought or used a 12 volt evaporator (swamp cooler) type AC?

Thanks in advance.

Denny
I won’t comment on the full cab / AC part…all I’ll say is that the electrical system is limited on how much power it can provide.

In the wintertime, my P1k5 struggles to manage a 60” light bar, intermittent winch on my plow, intermittent plow rotation, and a heater, plus normal operation of the vehicle. Basically the stator can support the heater and light bar plus the vehicle and that’s it.

I have to run a battery tender to make sure the auxiliary battery is fully charged up as it’s a slow loosing battle on battery capacity as the night wears on. Every time I move the plow, the system is losing ground faster than it can recover.

Bottom line is the electrical system isn’t capable of doing much…continuously loaded.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Im an HVAC tech and I aint even going to touch that in a SXS. Might work 🤏🏻 much!
And swamp coolers are nasty! I hate working on them

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Or Just sell it and buy a Fire Trap Poo Poo North Star addition with ac. But that wont help when the Poo Poo catches fire. It will be hotter than your Honda with the enclosure and a heater on in 90 degree weather. 🥵🔥🧯🚒

Reactions: JenElio and ChadD
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
For a swamp box you’re running a fan and a water pump.
That is it. Fairly low power requirement.
The water may be an issue for long rides but the honda gas tank isn’t that big so you will need to swing by your truck on a regular basis anyway.
I have no idea if anyone makes a 12 volt swamp box.

I have no idea how to size a swamp box, still trying to wrap my head around sizing a compressor AC.
Let us know what you find out.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
For a swamp box you’re running a fan and a water pump.
That is it. Fairly low power requirement.
The water may be an issue for long rides but the honda gas tank isn’t that big so you will need to swing by your truck on a regular basis anyway.
I have no idea if anyone makes a 12 volt swamp box.

I have no idea how to size a swamp box, still trying to wrap my head around sizing a compressor AC.
Let us know what you find out.
All this….as an HVAC tech and occasionally do sales and sizing of equipment is why I ain't touching it. When a I was in automotive it takes a bit of HP to run a compressor, plus u need to add a evaporator larger radiator, relays thermistors and so forth. So this will be similar to run efficiently and will rob the engine of performance especially with the new refrigerant requirements by our great EPA.🙄🥳
Swamp coolers just forget it! The internet and LubeTubers dont know there ace holes from a hole in the ground! But what do I know? 🤷🏻‍♂️ They just keep me employed🤣

I would be on board with an AC to SxS (still thinks it defeats the purpose of owning one)
If and when a rig is being designed and built, the system is via HP, Radiator etc. is built specifically for it and done right. Not the way Poo Poo has done it with the North Star🤦🏻‍♂️
Its like saying lets add a smart stat to a 20-30yr system and it will make the furnace more efficient and run better NOT 🙄🤣
All for the glam! Like putting lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:
advertisement
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I won’t comment on the full cab / AC part…all I’ll say is that the electrical system is limited on how much power it can provide.

In the wintertime, my P1k5 struggles to manage a 60” light bar, intermittent winch on my plow, intermittent plow rotation, and a heater, plus normal operation of the vehicle. Basically the stator can support the heater and light bar plus the vehicle and that’s it.

I have to run a battery tender to make sure the auxiliary battery is fully charged up as it’s a slow loosing battle on battery capacity as the night wears on. Every time I move the plow, the system is losing ground faster than it can recover.

Bottom line is the electrical system isn’t capable of doing much…continuously loaded.
110/240v generator in back with a unit heater and a house ac wall unit on roof - or a jeep

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a disabled veteran friend who just bought a Polaris something, loaded with a full cab and electric dump bed.
He uses it as his daily driver and is mobile again..another story.

He had me drive it and it happened to be on our first hot spring days, 90 degrees,
(warm for us).

I'm not a Polaris fan, although I have owned tons of their sleds.

I drove Creighton's new wheeler ( no heavy duty 4x4 ing) and have to say it ran great, air conditioned, electric windows, built in stereo, GPS, on and on. Nicely accessorized and the fit - finish was good.
If it holds up, it will be a nice rig.

Best thing though, is my friend is better as a result. He can't speak or he'd likely say skrewww Hondas..