P1000 1 tire 4 ply 1 tire 6 ply??

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With 4 adults clipping thru a freshly chisel plowed farm field @55mph we clipped a rock with the left rear and blew out the tire, gash in the side and hole underneath a lug, almost as it had gotten bent back too far.

I wasnt ready to spend the money on 4 new tires with better ply rating, knowing these tires are 98% new. Local shop cant find 27x11-14 Big Horns 4 or 6 ply. Ebay had some that were 6 ply, my question is anyone run tires with different ply ratings? IE: left rear is 6 ply, right rear is same tire but 4 ply? Would a difference in the different weights of the tires affect the rear end?

I ended up finding a dealer in MN who carries 27x11-14's Bighorn 2.0's 4ply on hand, he is a Artic cat dealer and that size is also OEM on Wildcats and Prowlers. Costed me HALF of what the Honda dealer wanted.

Reactions: dotman1
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
no it will not matter will just be a weaker tire if you get 4 ply. i would get the 6 ply.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
no it will not matter will just be a weaker tire if you get 4 ply. i would get the 6 ply.

Understand, however there must be a weight difference between a 4 and a 6 ply tire? Can it effect your machine, if 1 tire is heavier then the other?

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
atv tires are not regulated much at all there is no federal standards and anything on atv tire ply ratings. you can buy 4 tires of the same ply they want all be the same weight or the exact same size. It will not be that big of a differance.

Last edited:
bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
that size tire must be specific to the 1000 cause maxxis doesnt make that size anymore in regular or 2.0 bighorns

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
hmm your right they don't make that size or they're just starting to make that size. Never realized that. I know the 1000 comes with 27" bighorns tho

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!