P1000 1000-3 cargo box mod

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ordered a pioneer 1000-3 a month ago and have no idea when I'll get it. I am replacing a ranger 900xp. I think I'm going to miss the under seat storage so I'm looking for tips to replace it. One thing I found was on the 1000-5 people cut out the cargo box/door panels for storage under the color panels. Can that same thing be done on the 1000-3
Just wondering if you special ordered one or did you order one that was already built and awaiting shipment? I just put money down on one that is awaiting shipment but the dealer has no idea when it will ship. I expect to be waiting at least a month from now. The dealer told me he hopes to get it by the end of the year. It's a waiting game.

Reactions: Lady01
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Just wondering if you special ordered one or did you order one that was already built and awaiting shipment? I just put money down on one that is awaiting shipment but the dealer has no idea when it will ship. I expect to be waiting at least a month from now. The dealer told me he hopes to get it by the end of the year. It's a waiting game.
It sounds like we did the same thing. The dealer told me I'm 12th in line for any color. If I switched to camo he said the line would be shorter but I'd have to pay 800 or so more. In August when I placed the order they had only recieved 2 the entire month. So he said it could be a six month wait. In September they got 10 in though so it's anyone's guess.
Some neighbors have had 4wheelers ordered from the same place since February. They thought they'd get them by May and sold there units only to have to buy used ones to replace them. This covid deal is a mess.
I'll keep repairing away on my ranger until I get the call it's in. Hopefully soon.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It sure seems like a mess. I really had no idea how bad it was until I walked into the dealership and asked the first guy at a desk I saw if they had any Honda Pioneer demos to try out. He kinda smiled or laughed a little and said they haven't had a demo in house of almost anything for over a year. Good luck to you and hope both of ours are shipped sooner than much later.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Similar experience. I stayed long enough and asked enough questions they let me test drive one that was waiting to be picked up. It was enough for me to make the deposit.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Anything NOT on the lot is a special “mystery” order now a days.
the 6 month wait is more realistic from what has been thrown around the last yearish. Some have been surprised like us married men are when the wife is feeling frisky :cool: and they show up sooner cuz a small amount of production parts show up to complete a rig or two. Its kinda like opening a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get! Right Forest? Lol.
I wish the both of you quick fortune in your wait. 🤟

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Almost nobody is dealing. MSRP is what 099.9% are charging.

The price difference is $2,000.
Yep thank you china virus👎
Thats why I suggested you should looks used.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yep thank you china virus👎
Thats why I suggested you should looks used.
You said "Around 1K", which wasn't accurate. No need for the 'tude.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You said "Around 1K", which wasn't accurate. No need for the 'tude.
1K was accurate from what ive seen and according to some of the posts on other threads. 2k is what you found witch is fine and ill use that now as well if someone asks. There was no “Tude” towards you. Unless your happy with whats happing with things thats having us even talk about this? So simmer down there turbo lol.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
1K was accurate from what ive seen and according to some of the posts on other threads. 2k is what you found witch is fine and ill use that now as well if someone asks. There was no “Tude” towards you. Unless your happy with whats happing with things thats having us even talk about this? So simmer down there turbo lol.
I've spent the last ~1 month (solid) and have likely contacted upwards of 50 (yes, fifty) dealers across the country by phone. Not a single one within ~600 miles of here offered anything less than MSRP, and exactly one had something in stock that was close to what I wanted. And all but two of them wanted the full ride of $~895 destination, $~400-ish prep and several hundred "doc fee".

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I've spent the last ~1 month (solid) and have likely contacted upwards of 50 (yes, fifty) dealers across the country by phone. Not a single one within ~600 miles of here offered anything less than MSRP, and exactly one had something in stock that was close to what I wanted. And all but two of them wanted the full ride of $~895 destination, $~400-ish prep and several hundred "doc fee".
Yep, been that way for some time now unfortunately

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yep, been that way for some time now unfortunately
Except at my regular dealer that I normally buy powersport vehicles from. While they don't have anything in stock (I have a deposit on an 1000-5 Deluxe that they ordered back in mid AUG), they NEVER charge (add on) the $895 destination fee, nor an "assembly/dealer prep" fee. MSRP plus $95 for doc fee plus $15 for title. That's it. Been that way for at least 11 years that I know of (past purchases), other than pre-COVID prices were well under MSRP.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Over this past weekend, I did find a dealer who litearlly just received a 2021 1000-3 Special Edition. He wants MSRP plus the $895 destination, but no assembly/dealer prep and $160 for doc fees. No great, but not bad. If I wanted the 3 seater SE, I'd be on my way there right now.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Except at my regular dealer that I normally buy powersport vehicles from. While they don't have anything in stock (I have a deposit on an 1000-5 Deluxe that they ordered back in July), they NEVER charge (add on) the $895 destination fee, they NEVER charge a dime for "assembly/dealer prep", and they only charge $95 for doc fee plus $15 for title. That's it. Been that way for at least 11 years that I know of (past purchases).
You have a rare one there.
I had an RV dealer I use to buy from in GR that did that. They got greety and wanted the extra the rest were getting and changed. Too bad! I liked them, they were a no BS dealer.

Teammontana

Teammontana

Apr 3, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda offers a shelf that fits under the front dash that we use all the time. Adds about 6 inches of stale age all the way across the dash. It was @$100 when we got our 2018. They also sell a plastic box that fits under the drivers seat but I found that area is usable by putting tools, tow straps, etc. into a small zippered tool bag and then larger items on top of that. Gets really dusty but if your smaller gear is in the bag it’s stays clean. We also use the under box storage for the rear seats when they aren’t being used.

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I compared my 1000-5 side by side with my Dad's 1000-3. There is nowhere near the thickness to the 3 that there is in the 5. You might be able to put a set of jumper cables in the 3 but that's about all. For us, it wasn't worth the time and hassle to cut out the 3.

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like robobrainiac's post above. When I'm grouse hunting, dead birds go in those footwells for the rear seats like his pics show. It gets a bit warm, but no issues keeping them there (away from the dogs) until I get back to camp. If a guy drinks beer, it's also a great spot for empty beer cans (just sayin). And you have this storage on both sides and easily accessible with a 1000-5. Also easy for a cow dog to load up through either side door, which is faster to open/close compared to the rear tailgate. And for what its worth, I haul a lot of gravel, tree trimmings, bark, all kinds of stuff in the bed of my 1000-5 and the rear ROPS doesn't seem to get in the way. I have a chainsaw mounted back there on one side, and carry a shovel or rake or pitchfork on the other side. The chainsaw is protected by the ROPS when trail riding.

I could go on and on about the advantages of the five seater. You'll have lots of storage for your fencing gear and tags in those footwells straight from the factory...and the ability to add storage to the rear doors.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Honda offers a shelf that fits under the front dash that we use all the time. Adds about 6 inches of stale age all the way across the dash. It was @$100 when we got our 2018. They also sell a plastic box that fits under the drivers seat but I found that area is usable by putting tools, tow straps, etc. into a small zippered tool bag and then larger items on top of that. Gets really dusty but if your smaller gear is in the bag it’s stays clean. We also use the under box storage for the rear seats when they aren’t being used.
I'm definitely getting that shelf. I'm just brainstorming for other options. I'm getting a heater so won't have the under seat storage. I'd really like to get the five seater but don't know if I can justify the additional cost just for somewhere to store vice grips, fence pliers, staples, and insulators.
I'm going to be very tempted to saw into the 1000-3 box but was hoping someone else had first.
I'm also really on the fence with a 1000-5 but want the option that gives me the best cab.
In a perfect world I'd get a -5 box on a -3 machine but sounds like that would not be a feasible project. Just more to think about while I set on the waiting list.

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm definitely getting that shelf. I'm just brainstorming for other options. I'm getting a heater so won't have the under seat storage. I'd really like to get the five seater but don't know if I can justify the additional cost just for somewhere to store vice grips, fence pliers, staples, and insulators.
I'm going to be very tempted to saw into the 1000-3 box but was hoping someone else had first.
I'm also really on the fence with a 1000-5 but want the option that gives me the best cab.
In a perfect world I'd get a -5 box on a -3 machine but sounds like that would not be a feasible project. Just more to think about while I set on the waiting list.
Sure it is, get a 5 and take the rear ROPS off. It just bolts on. Voila, you have a 5 bed and 3 cab.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!