P1000 1000-3 or 5?

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Finally back in the market for a LE...especially after seeing the white. Got to thinking (usually a bad thing) about the difference between the 3 and 5. Like the idea of having the longer roof to cover stuff in the bed and protect the rear of the machine. Don't care for or need the flip up seating. Would only be me and a passenger plus hunting/fishing gear in back. If I have to haul a bunch of mooches, I wont have room for my stuff.

That being said, would you order a 1000-3 and add the extra cage and build from there as a 5 seater, or just order the 1000-5 and enforce the "No Moocher Policy" ?

Reactions: sharp and Mudwing
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't own either, but I would buy the 5 rather than build more onto the 3 personally. I'm willing to bet you can remove seat pads and such from the rear of the 5 and gain more "under bed" storage.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I vote for the 5 seater, I have one and is nice to have the covered bed to haul extras. I carry 2 small plastic ammo boxes under each seat footwell while seats ar down. I carry my tire repair stuff and recovery gear in them.

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Each to his own, I’m out voted here but I prefer the 1000-3. I don’t need the extra roof area and loading the bed with the extra cage in the back wouldn’t be as easy. But......get what you want. You’ll be happy either way.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’d vote 5. The roof would be nice for keeping things dry,side doors easier load, some storage in rear floor boards and the obvious ability to carry extra if you ever wanted too. I believe it’s easier to get around in the woods.
Less bed space but not much and slightly more tippy and heavier.
Resale will be higher. You can always take the rear rollbars off easily and get the front roof only but you can’t reasonably get rear seats.

Reactions: Mudwing and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Finally back in the market for a LE...especially after seeing the white. Got to thinking (usually a bad thing) about the difference between the 3 and 5. Like the idea of having the longer roof to cover stuff in the bed and protect the rear of the machine. Don't care for or need the flip up seating. Would only be me and a passenger plus hunting/fishing gear in back. If I have to haul a bunch of mooches, I wont have room for my stuff.

That being said, would you order a 1000-3 and add the extra cage and build from there as a 5 seater, or just order the 1000-5 and enforce the "No Moocher Policy" ?
We have mooches also, that's why we got the 5, flip one seat up, one the door and the mooches get right in. Yea I know!

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I vote for the -3. I own one and really like the idea of a bed that has gas can, water can, and spare tire PLUS lots of space for my gear. And should I get an elk or pretty rock(my wife's choice) I can stack it high. Also I think the -3 is better if you have to load it into a toy hauler. My -3 is 72 1/4" tall. the opening is 72" tall. But it goes in without a whimper. You see as my -3 enters the front goes down for 5" clearance, and as the rear lifts up the roll cage has already come in. If it was a -5 the rear roll cage would hit. So, if you plan on carrying it in a toy hauler, beware the -5.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No regrets on my 3. 95% of the time I'm riding by myself anyway so it was a no brainier. The 3 has more than enough storage space for what I do. I use hard case boxes for stuff I don't want to get wet and strap them down to the bed with O-Track attachment points.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I vote for the -3. I own one and really like the idea of a bed that has gas can, water can, and spare tire PLUS lots of space for my gear. And should I get an elk or pretty rock(my wife's choice) I can stack it high. Also I think the -3 is better if you have to load it into a toy hauler. My -3 is 72 1/4" tall. the opening is 72" tall. But it goes in without a whimper. You see as my -3 enters the front goes down for 5" clearance, and as the rear lifts up the roll cage has already come in. If it was a -5 the rear roll cage would hit. So, if you plan on carrying it in a toy hauler, beware the -5.
That is a very good point about hauling in a hauler.

pit

pit

My new baby!
Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2018
Cartersville, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got the 5 and love it, but I have 3 kids to fill it up also! You mentioned the bedliner, it's a bit pricey but definately worth it in my opinion. I use it when working around the house and it keeps dirt and debris out of the seats so it's not a mess when its time to go play. I don't even use the screws, I just slide it in the bed and it stays in place.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I don't own either one but the 5's are ugly as sh**! I can see the beauty of having more seating but that big square cage in the back is cringe worthy. Saw where someone chopped the back down at an angle, that looked cool.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I got the 1000-5 not for the beauty but for hauling extra people when needed my grandkids love it. I have a son-in-law he always gets the two-seaters always thinking of himself but to each his own.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I say in your case get the 1000-5. I don't believe the 5 cage will fit around the 3 bed, so you would have to build a custom one.

Funny you are talking about this because my situation is exact opposite. I bought the 5 for the extra seats when I need them, but I rarely do, only just to drive from the camper to the pool at about 15mph on paved roads. I am thinking about taking my rear cage off. That way I'll have the tapered in bed sides, jump seats if I need them, and it will be easier to chop and taper in my roof a bit when the time comes...

But now that the talon is almost here I may just sell it instead LoL.

Reactions: trigger
NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for all the replies! Didn't even think about loading in the back of my toy hauler. Still want to see the Talon (if I can wait that long) before finally pulling the trigger.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We initially went out looking for a 5. After looking at both, we decided on the 3. Here's why;

*5 has smaller bed
*5 has butt ugly roll bars in back
*5 has more doors, yes, but that means more places to rattle + more complex
*Unless you get a bed mat, all the small sh!t will fall into the cracks in the 5 bed
*if you put in aforementioned mat... why get the 5 in the first place? the roof?
*5 roof is kinda ugly too... from the back view
*don't need a roof to cover my spare, my saw, my cooler, whatever else.. a little sun isn't gonna hurt that stuff
*There's only the two of us and our dogs. No need for extra seats. 3 is plenty.

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the 1000-5 not for the beauty but for hauling extra people when needed my grandkids love it. I have a son-in-law he always gets the two-seaters always thinking of himself but to each his own.
Had to lol when I read this! Sounds like my own family. When I take my parents a ride (it happens everytime) in the p1k5 they keep saying this was such a smart choice. Bro in law bought xp 2 seater w a family of 4 and she says same thing about him, even better his dad bought the rs1 which is a sweet machine 4 a single man but he gets it home and says dduuuh I got 3 grandkids that wanna ride hhmmm this wasnt the smartest.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!