P1000 1000-5 LE going back to the shop, 2nd time, only 50 miles

J

Johnny787

Jul 28, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I bought my 1000-5 LE home honda had not put any coolant in it. I was driving it around the yard and noticed the temp light come on. I pull in the driveway right away and shut it off. Coolant in the over flow tank was full but the radiator was bone dry. I load it up and bring it directly back to the dealer. They fill it and bleed the air. Take it out the next day and put about 30 miles on it driving it around fields, through woods, no problems. The additional 20 miles i have put on were driving around the yard and such.

Fast forward to Sunday. I was out in the woods in I4WD going slow crawling over downed trees, moving forward and backward. My high temp light comes on. Shut the machine down and notice the coolant in the overflow tank is boiling like a pot of water on the stove. It was splashing out everywhere. I let it cool down for a while then drive back the 100 yards home.

Call the honda dealer today and they said they would come get it from my house tomorrow and look at it. They also informed me honda already paid the warranty claim for the initial coolant issue so there is a record with honda.

My first thought was burp the coolant system, but if that was the case, why would it run for 50 miles with no issues then all of the sudden have a overheat issue? Some of my driving was the exact same I was doing Sunday when it overheated. Do you think there is any major damage from these over heating issues? During each I shut it down as soon as I saw the light come on.

Any ideas? Should I be asking honda for a new side by side?

Its a little frustrating to pay $20,000 for something and have it not work.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Man, I agree. PITA for sure. Would piss me off too along with the handful of other people who have has this same issue.

Still tho, it sounds like the common burp problem. But 50 miles is a good bit. Were you easy or hard on it. What if, it only needs a little burp, Say the pump works sometimes then catches air others. When it catches air its not pushing anything. Anyways, possibilities are endless.

Back to your question. If you cut it off as soon as you seen the light come on then you are ok. Even if you drove it down the hill to a flat spot and stopped it should be fine. Just as long as you didn't run it hard for more then a few moments. Hopefully the dealer will get it worked out. Glad you got a good one willing to come pick it up.

Keep us updated.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to hear, that does sound odd even after 50 miles. Almost as if it was a pump problem. We hope you can get this revolved. Let us know if and when it gets resolved so we can be informed for the next person posts we can let them know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I bought my 1000-5 LE home honda had not put any coolant in it. I was driving it around the yard and noticed the temp light come on. I pull in the driveway right away and shut it off. Coolant in the over flow tank was full but the radiator was bone dry. I load it up and bring it directly back to the dealer. They fill it and bleed the air. Take it out the next day and put about 30 miles on it driving it around fields, through woods, no problems. The additional 20 miles i have put on were driving around the yard and such.

Fast forward to Sunday. I was out in the woods in I4WD going slow crawling over downed trees, moving forward and backward. My high temp light comes on. Shut the machine down and notice the coolant in the overflow tank is boiling like a pot of water on the stove. It was splashing out everywhere. I let it cool down for a while then drive back the 100 yards home.

Call the honda dealer today and they said they would come get it from my house tomorrow and look at it. They also informed me honda already paid the warranty claim for the initial coolant issue so there is a record with honda.

My first thought was burp the coolant system, but if that was the case, why would it run for 50 miles with no issues then all of the sudden have a overheat issue? Some of my driving was the exact same I was doing Sunday when it overheated. Do you think there is any major damage from these over heating issues? During each I shut it down as soon as I saw the light come on.

I would request a pressure check on coolant system, just to make sure there's not a leak. If it was a head gasket leak your overflow from your radiator should be overflowing due to a compression leak. If you shut down when the temp light came on and let it cool, I think you will be fine.

J

Johnny787

Jul 28, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have driven very easy since I bought it. Haven't taken it over 40 mph, gas has never once been pushed to the floor yet. I was going to go easy until I hit my 100 mile service. At this rate I'll be lucky to make it to 100 miles....

We pressure tested at the dealership the night I brought it in for no coolant and it held fine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have driven very easy since I bought it. Haven't taken it over 40 mph, gas has never once been pushed to the floor yet. I was going to go easy until I hit my 100 mile service. At this rate I'll be lucky to make it to 100 miles....

We pressure tested at the dealership the night I brought it in for no coolant and it held fine.
This is a fluke, your rig has the colic, just get the air out, somehow! Think I take would the radiator cap off, warm up the engine until the fan runs and blow air through the system and get all the air out through the radiator cap, Dealer should have thought about this???????????????

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you ever noticed if your radiator fan came on? Coolant boiling in the overflow sounds like there is plenty of coolant, it's just not being cooled. Especially at low ground speed.

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to hear, that does sound odd even after 50 miles. Almost as if it was a pump problem. We hope you can get this revolved. Let us know if and when it gets resolved so we can be informed for the next person posts we can let them know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
At first I was also thinking t-stat but not going fifty miles. Now I am thinking maybe it is sticking (closed) when hot. Got me scratching my head lol

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd make sure that all this is documented. Coolant doesn't boil until 260 degrees. Combined with a fragile aluminum head...

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At first I was also thinking t-stat but not going fifty miles. Now I am thinking maybe it is sticking (closed) when hot. Got me scratching my head lol

Yeah but sticking closed wouldn't send boiling coolant to your reservoir.

Reactions: Jimmy-AZ
J

Johnny787

Jul 28, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do notice the fan coming on, so that much is working.

The coolant in the overflow was a rolling boil. I've been around engines most of my life and never seen anything like that before.

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah but sticking closed wouldn't send boiling coolant to your reservoir.
Good point but......what if it is not closed all the way, allowing a great deal of heat in the water jackets and slowly going through the t-stat?
Basically restricting flow enough that the radiator and fan can't keep up?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do notice the fan coming on, so that much is working.

The coolant in the overflow was a rolling boil. I've been around engines most of my life and never seen anything like that before.
Hmmmmm... the only other thing I can possibly imagine is that there is still a pocket of air in the cooling system. Do yourself and all of us a favor...(Your dealer's set up guy is apparently not qualified, after screwing this up TWICE!) While cold, check your reservoir and radiator coolant levels and top them off if they're not already. Then drive your front wheels onto a set of ramps that would put your machine at a 30 degree angle tops. (Don't hoist it up into a tree like I've seen others recommend...You'll have your oil pump sucking air). With your radiator cap off, let your engine get to operating temperature and look down into the radiator to see if the level goes down. You'll know if there was air in there.

J

JTW

At the take over mine and @knuckledeep’s machines over heated on a night ride. I honestly have no idea how long mine ran hot. I had my mileage pulled up and wasn’t watching the gauge. But she was hot and the radiator was empty! We limped to a pond and got it washed out and refilled. The next day we burped it and added new coolant. I haven’t had an issue since. I know she was hot and we were all running hard for a while. I’ve since put several miles on mine and it should have showed back up but all’s well. They will apparently take a good bit of abuse so I wouldn’t worry but a good burping should take care of it if the fan is kicking on. I would be pissed too on a yard ridden machine. Keep an eye on the back of the radiator as the open louvers in the bumper apparently allow for a direct hit of mud and s*** thru the fan onto the rad.

J

Johnny787

Jul 28, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer picked it up from the house today. They said the tech will be at it first thing in the morning.

I could burp it myself but I'm going to let them deal with it. I worked on it all weekend installing winch, roof, lights, stereo so I'll let them handle what should have been done since day 1.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dealer picked it up from the house today. They said the tech will be at it first thing in the morning.

I could burp it myself but I'm going to let them deal with it. I worked on it all weekend installing winch, roof, lights, stereo so I'll let them handle what should have been done since day 1.
I agree, if they will pick it up with no charges.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I can certainly appreciate your concern and frustration. This is an issue with other brands as well, because of coolant loop design all generally the same.

I doubt you hurt it being as you shut it down quickly.

The only good way to get all the air out is make the radiator the highest point in the loop by getting front tires up tailgate height, let it run with cap off for at least 20 minutes to an hour, so all air can work it's way up and out. It's a super PITA have done this on my P1K and a RZR both when new.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I can certainly appreciate your concern and frustration. This is an issue with other brands as well, because of coolant loop design all generally the same.

I doubt you hurt it being as you shut it down quickly.

The only good way to get all the air out is make the radiator the highest point in the loop by getting front tires up tailgate height, let it run with cap off for at least 20 minutes to an hour, so all air can work it's way up and out. It's a super PITA have done this on my P1K and a RZR both when new.
Iv'e had to do that to my wife, works pretty good!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!