P1000 1000-5 oil pressure light

B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a 2016 1000-5 that grenaded last fall. This winter it had a complete rebuild top to bottom so basically a new motor. When I picked it up late winter, drove it home (approx 8 miles) and the oil pressure light came on.. called up the dealer and they said, well bring it back and we will look into it.. they came back saying that the oil pressures all checked out fine and it all was coming back to poor voltage so they changed out the battery... they rode it around for however many miles and the light never came on... so I go to pick it up and get it home and sure enough, the light comes back on.. I call em up and said I'm bringing it back with the light on so maybe it'll read something on the computer... this go around I mentioned to them the o-ring thing in the clutch cover that's discussed a lot on here and they said they checked that blah blah and they ended up doing an oil changed and cleaned a sensor or something. I picked it up again and have maybe put 50 miles on it without the oil pressure light coming on and now yesterday it came on again. Anybody have any suggestions? It just really bothers me because I basically have a brand new machine and I don't want to mess it up...

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Have a 2016 1000-5 that grenaded last fall. This winter it had a complete rebuild top to bottom so basically a new motor. When I picked it up late winter, drove it home (approx 8 miles) and the oil pressure light came on.. called up the dealer and they said, well bring it back and we will look into it.. they came back saying that the oil pressures all checked out fine and it all was coming back to poor voltage so they changed out the battery... they rode it around for however many miles and the light never came on... so I go to pick it up and get it home and sure enough, the light comes back on.. I call em up and said I'm bringing it back with the light on so maybe it'll read something on the computer... this go around I mentioned to them the o-ring thing in the clutch cover that's discussed a lot on here and they said they checked that blah blah and they ended up doing an oil changed and cleaned a sensor or something. I picked it up again and have maybe put 50 miles on it without the oil pressure light coming on and now yesterday it came on again. Anybody have any suggestions? It just really bothers me because I basically have a brand new machine and I don't want to mess it up...
Sorry to hear you gotta deal with that. I'm no expert on the matter but maybe a bad sensor? Given it's a holiday weekend a lot of the fellas might be away for a bit but I'm sure someone knowledgeable on the subject will chime in 👍

@HondaTech

Good luck

B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might be the battery again if you have a parasitic draw. The P1's are extremely sensitive to low voltage. Keep it on a tender for a bit and see if that doesn't help. If that corrects the problem, start searching for that draw. That would be where I'd start anyway.
Okay. I'll try putt it on a tender. The light won't come on right away.. like yesterday it came on after running it for probably an hour. Most of my accessories are on my 2nd battery

H

HondaTech

Check the ground next to the starter motor. They are known to strip, it'll feel tight with your hand but a wrench will show its loose. If it loses that ground the oil pressure sensors will show low voltage due to them grounding through the engine block.

Also, the emergency valve plunger has been known to get scarred and stick in the clutch cover. If it looks scratched or has a dull finish to it then replace it.

The 1000 engine can only detect oil pressure irregularities on the transmission side. It has no clue how much oil pressure the engine is receiving.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check the ground next to the starter motor. They are known to strip, it'll feel tight with your hand but a wrench will show its loose. If it loses that ground the oil pressure sensors will show low voltage due to them grounding through the engine block.

Also, the emergency valve plunger has been known to get scarred and stick in the clutch cover. If it looks scratched or has a dull finish to it then replace it.

The 1000 engine can only detect oil pressure irregularities on the transmission side. It has no clue how much oil pressure the engine is receiving.
You are referring to the main ground that goes to the frame?

B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ill check that ground..
The plunger thing is the other thing I've read a bunch about. Is that a big job to take care of?

B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It can be a pain to remove without taking the clutch cover off.

If you remove the cover, you can push on the bottom with a pick and get it out. You have to take the brass screw out first.
If it were a ground or plunger issue, is it actually going to have low oil pressure or its just setting off the light to piss me off?

advertisement
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it were a ground or plunger issue, is it actually going to have low oil pressure or its just setting off the light to piss me off?
Since they had the engine out, there is a good chance that they did not get that bolt tight, there is corrosion or they may have painted the engine and there is a layer of paint under the ring terminal. All the grounds on this machine are critical.

B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since they had the engine out, there is a good chance that they did not get that bolt tight, there is corrosion or they may have painted the engine and there is a layer of paint under the ring terminal. All the grounds on this machine are critical.
Yesterday I finally had the chance to dig a little. The ground was tight. Took it apart and wire brushed tf outta the ring connectors and put back together. The light came on again. I don't ever remember the light coming on when I'm full speed. Seems like if I leave it running idle and I hop back in, the light will be on. Haven't checked the plunger thing.. I'm not sure that's a job I wanna tackle myself or not.

in all reality, The shop should be the ones to take care of me because the machine was to be returned to me in the same order as I brought it in and the light has never come on before. I just wanted to see if there were a couple simple things I could look for being I brought it back twice already since they rebuilt it. I just don't want this thing to blow up on me again

B

Bucknasty14

Aug 23, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It can be a pain to remove without taking the clutch cover off.

If you remove the cover, you can push on the bottom with a pick and get it out. You have to take the brass screw out first.
It's going next week to the shop. I told them I want them to address the clutch cover o ring or plunger issue. Exactly what o ring is it so I can explain better? I just thought of the other day when they had it rebuilt they had issues getting the clutch relearn to work and they finally figured out something wasn't seated right. So I just feel this is all stemming to that. I can hear a noise every time it shifts too and I never heard that before. We will see

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!