P1000 Oil pressure light

B

Butte465

Jul 6, 2022
SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just finished about 400 miles of riding our 2021 pk5 the past week and the oil pressure light came on twice. It was just serviced by the dealer at 1200 miles. The first time was riding forest trails with considerable shifting. The second time was after a 7 miles climb from 4200 ft to about 7200 ft. Both times I shut off the engine and checked the machine over with no obvious problems. Both times the machine started up, no oil pressure light and finished the day with no problems. Any suggestions on what is going on?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just finished about 400 miles of riding our 2021 pk5 the past week and the oil pressure light came on twice. It was just serviced by the dealer at 1200 miles. The first time was riding forest trails with considerable shifting. The second time was after a 7 miles climb from 4200 ft to about 7200 ft. Both times I shut off the engine and checked the machine over with no obvious problems. Both times the machine started up, no oil pressure light and finished the day with no problems. Any suggestions on what is going on?
Have you checked the oil level?......looked for leaks? Just cause it was serviced at the dealership don't mean they did a good job...

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Have you checked the oil level?......looked for leaks? Just cause it was serviced at the dealership don't mean they did a good job...

IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2021 1000-3-D an am wrestelling with these questions. Learned a lot from a very informative Honda Sports Service Rep. I don't completely understand the relationship between the engine oil and the Dual Clutch Tranny (DCT) oil, but it seems for pressure and temp issues, they are directly connected. However, the clutch related oil runs at a higher temp than engine oil.

Yes, there are 3 identical oil pressure sensors next to each other at the bottom-back of the engine (see photo). They all are involved in monitoring oil pressure of the dual clutch shfting sequence opperation. The red, oil pressure idiot light on the dash is connected to the DRIVER'S SIDE sensor. Note: this idiot light, the Rep said, is a light that re-sets by turning the ignition off, then back on again. I have found, this maybe needs to be done twice.

Anyway, the oil pressure idiot light came on in a bad, over-heat, could-get-stranded situation. I chose to cool down the engine at an idle, then carefully limp on back to the trailer. I did not shut the engine off. The Rep thinks my light/sensor worked properly in that it sensed a unusual fluxuation in oil perssure and came on. I thought with the engine cool-down, if the oil pressure problem corrected itself, the light would go off. I was apparently wrong. After the engine cooled down, I should have turned the ignition off and on a couple times to re-set the oil idiot light. That would have saved me and my 3 passengers, all of us around 75, in the snowy mountains with tracks, 10 miles from a dirt road, a long, very tense, slow ride to safety.

To use a mechanical oil pressure test meter, the Rep gave me a copy of Honda instructions (maybe same as in Service Manual?). There is a test port right next to the oil level dip stick finger plug. It is a 1/8" bolt. I have removed that bolt to use my oil pressure test kit, but the Honda instructions don't describe the thread type. My research says it is BSPT/BSP tread, a British tapered pipe thread. However, the bolt does not appear to be tapered, it looks like a regular straight-walled bolt. I've also found on a forum, a guy who screwed in a regular NTP fitting for a semi-permant guage install who got a good seal, then went back to the plug which sealed well again. He said the softness of the aluminum combined with how close to 2 different thread styles are, he didn't have a problem, but did not recommend doing the same. So, what I think is needed is a 1/8" BSP X 1/8" NTP adapter. I think I have found a source for this at Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies; Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies . Home Page>Search Box, type in "1/8 BSP Male to 1/8 NPT Male Adapter>Steel>1/8 BSP Male to 1/8 NPT Male Adapter, Steel>choose quantity>Checkout (top Left)>PayPal>choose shipping>Continue>review order>Submit. You'll get emails from Pegasus and PayPal confirming your transaction. (I just did this myself, so can't report on results.)

Caution: Do not over tighten when screwing into aluminum. Many Pros regularly use a small torque wrench in all of these aluminum occasions.

Caution: The Rep's first reaction to my asking questions about installing an auxilary oil pressure guage was, "Yow, you'll have to be extreamely careful about that! The transmission oil goes thru some very small galleries to activate the clutch system. It is very sensitive to pressure. Use only the specified oil, keep it clean, fresh and up to level religiously." I later found an adapter on eBay specifically designed to screw into this BSP sensor hole and give 3 options to plug in sensors and tubing fittings for a mechanical auxillary guage. Because of that warning, I'm NOT GOING TO INSTALL an auxilary guage or plug in my test guage at the oil pressure sensor location (near the DTC), as described above.

BTW, on the tense trip out of the snow, the engine didn't blow up and we made it back to toast our survival at my rig.

IdahoJake

IMG 5534

IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
CORRECTION!! In above paragraph 4, I miss-identify the threads in the oil pressure test port. They are bolt type straight-walled 8mm (AKA M8) threads. The aluminum washer on the bolt/plug should have alerted me, the threads do not self-tighten to seal. This means the adapter I odered (above) came and was the wrong thing.

I traded my oil presure test kit for a peramant oil pressure guage that came with the tubing and two pipe-thread (NTP) connector options to plug into the oil pressure port. They are 1/8" and 3/8" NTP (ODs are 3/8 and 1/2). With the difficulty in finding the correct adapter, I'm going to modify the supplied 1/8" connector. It has enough meat (brass) to cut 8mm threads into it with a hex die. I will also use the required brass/aluminum washer to make a good seal and torque to 9 ft/lbs.

In above paragraphs 1, 2 and 3, on the oil pressure sensor, I think mine is partially faulty. I think it correctly sensed a blip in oil pressure, probably high heat related, but then should have turned the red idiot light back off. Further I think, turning the ignition off and on a time or 2 should re-set it to show normal/idiot light off.

Oil pressure, especially for a 75 yr old who NEVER travles with another machine (the reason I bougtht a brand new Honda!), is such a critical measurement, I now want to monitor it as closely as I do engine temp. With a dash-mounted oil pressure guage, I'll feel a lot better informed than with the idiot light alone.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just finished about 400 miles of riding our 2021 pk5 the past week and the oil pressure light came on twice.
Typical of newbies, post a thread with an issue and never come back with results.
@Butte465 any update? Its been 6months!

IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Who cares? Why would we want to read what a flake has to say anyway? From my experience above, I think it's safe to assume the sensor corrected itself and the problem hasn't come up again. Forums that get petty and bickering are not highly respected and people have good reason to drop off without saying good bye. I'm a newbie also...and wonder if this forum receives good questions and produces relevant answers.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Who cares?
We all care! That's why the forum is here!
When someone starts a thread, we try and help them out and hopefully they come back with there solution so it will help others with the same issue
I'm a newbie also...and wonder if this forum receives good questions and produces relevant answers.
As I stated above. And yes you said it your a newbie so you dont k ow much about this forum that we strive to help others solve there problems. Thats why we strongly express to “use the search first” cuz we've seen a thing or two and most likely the answer is in there.
Forums that get petty and bickering are not highly respected and people have good reason to drop off without saying good bye
You say this with experiance🥳
We are not petty or bickering, just stating the facts. Once you've been here a while and contribute you will understand those nuances. Now with all that said and dont get butt hurt now…….

Welcome from Michigan GO BLUE!
We see you have 3 posts and no pics of your rig or an intro. As we like to interact to get to know newbies and to make sure they acually have a rig (cuz we dont want u to drop off without saying goodbye) we encourage you start a Welcome/Intro thread and tell us about yourself. And Rule#4 is pics got to post em of your rig or ….PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Alao a little forum etiquette, when responding to persons post, hit the REPLY then type your responce after that. See above, therefor that person gets a notice that u responded or it will fall on deff ears and who knows, they might leave without saying goodbye😉

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Who cares? Why would we want to read what a flake has to say anyway? From my experience above, I think it's safe to assume the sensor corrected itself and the problem hasn't come up again. Forums that get petty and bickering are not highly respected and people have good reason to drop off without saying good bye. I'm a newbie also...and wonder if this forum receives good questions and produces relevant answers.
Hi, there are a lot of good questions, there are many many great responses, one issue is then we hear “crickets” on final solve.

Got to be able to take
I have a 2021 1000-3-D an am wrestelling with these questions. Learned a lot from a very informative Honda Sports Service Rep. I don't completely understand the relationship between the engine oil and the Dual Clutch Tranny (DCT) oil, but it seems for pressure and temp issues, they are directly connected. However, the clutch related oil runs at a higher temp than engine oil.

Yes, there are 3 identical oil pressure sensors next to each other at the bottom-back of the engine (see photo). They all are involved in monitoring oil pressure of the dual clutch shfting sequence opperation. The red, oil pressure idiot light on the dash is connected to the DRIVER'S SIDE sensor. Note: this idiot light, the Rep said, is a light that re-sets by turning the ignition off, then back on again. I have found, this maybe needs to be done twice.

Anyway, the oil pressure idiot light came on in a bad, over-heat, could-get-stranded situation. I chose to cool down the engine at an idle, then carefully limp on back to the trailer. I did not shut the engine off. The Rep thinks my light/sensor worked properly in that it sensed a unusual fluxuation in oil perssure and came on. I thought with the engine cool-down, if the oil pressure problem corrected itself, the light would go off. I was apparently wrong. After the engine cooled down, I should have turned the ignition off and on a couple times to re-set the oil idiot light. That would have saved me and my 3 passengers, all of us around 75, in the snowy mountains with tracks, 10 miles from a dirt road, a long, very tense, slow ride to safety.

To use a mechanical oil pressure test meter, the Rep gave me a copy of Honda instructions (maybe same as in Service Manual?). There is a test port right next to the oil level dip stick finger plug. It is a 1/8" bolt. I have removed that bolt to use my oil pressure test kit, but the Honda instructions don't describe the thread type. My research says it is BSPT/BSP tread, a British tapered pipe thread. However, the bolt does not appear to be tapered, it looks like a regular straight-walled bolt. I've also found on a forum, a guy who screwed in a regular NTP fitting for a semi-permant guage install who got a good seal, then went back to the plug which sealed well again. He said the softness of the aluminum combined with how close to 2 different thread styles are, he didn't have a problem, but did not recommend doing the same. So, what I think is needed is a 1/8" BSP X 1/8" NTP adapter. I think I have found a source for this at Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies; Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies . Home Page>Search Box, type in "1/8 BSP Male to 1/8 NPT Male Adapter>Steel>1/8 BSP Male to 1/8 NPT Male Adapter, Steel>choose quantity>Checkout (top Left)>PayPal>choose shipping>Continue>review order>Submit. You'll get emails from Pegasus and PayPal confirming your transaction. (I just did this myself, so can't report on results.)

Caution: Do not over tighten when screwing into aluminum. Many Pros regularly use a small torque wrench in all of these aluminum occasions.

Caution: The Rep's first reaction to my asking questions about installing an auxilary oil pressure guage was, "Yow, you'll have to be extreamely careful about that! The transmission oil goes thru some very small galleries to activate the clutch system. It is very sensitive to pressure. Use only the specified oil, keep it clean, fresh and up to level religiously." I later found an adapter on eBay specifically designed to screw into this BSP sensor hole and give 3 options to plug in sensors and tubing fittings for a mechanical auxillary guage. Because of that warning, I'm NOT GOING TO INSTALL an auxilary guage or plug in my test guage at the oil pressure sensor location (near the DTC), as described above.

BTW, on the tense trip out of the snow, the engine didn't blow up and we made it back to toast our survival at my rig.

IdahoJake

View attachment 413860
you did drop the oil and look and smell it, possibly working a tracked machine in snow may have had the clutch plates a little hot - just my opinion

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum California Jake.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

IdahoJake

View attachment 413860
this contraption has 3 oil pumps, with 3 different purposes and pressures - which pump you monitoring ?

Reactions: Remington
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some of us stay on topic and can answer questions. And Bingo, you are correct that Some People get petty and like to stir up trouble and dont give AF about others feelings and could care less if people become members or just drop off because of what they say.
Other than that this is an informative forum with some knowledgeable people.

IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Tried to add this to my Profile;
At 75 yrs old, my 2021 machine is a dedicated Snow Kitty, for winter Idaho Rocky Mountain solo use (passengers, but no other machines), mostly ski and snowshoe adventures. Extensive Kitty extrication kit. Enclosed toy hauler doubles as a trail head Refuge, with dual-fuel heater (wood and propane), total insulation, kitchenette, deluxe fold-down bunk and moon gazer porthole. Allows me to stay out to worship the Alpinglow after sunset. Life is good out there. Am old-school serious with my posts.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi, there are a lot of good questions, there are many many great responses, one issue is then we hear “crickets” on final solve.

Got to be able to take

you did drop the oil and look and smell it, possibly working a tracked machine in snow may have had the clutch plates a little hot - just my opinion
Tried to add this to my Profile;
At 75 yrs old, my 2021 machine is a dedicated Snow Kitty, for winter Idaho Rocky Mountain solo use (passengers, but no other machines), mostly ski and snowshoe adventures. Extensive Kitty extrication kit. Enclosed toy hauler doubles as a trail head Refuge, with dual-fuel heater (wood and propane), total insulation, kitchenette, deluxe fold-down bunk and moon gazer porthole. Allows me to stay out to worship the Alpinglow after sunset. Life is good out there. Am old-school serious with my posts.
Any pictures of your rig and trailer?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Am old-school serious with my posts.
Nothing wrong with that.
Just got to take a deep breath, exhale and lighten up a bit😂 life is too short to be serious all the time. You wont make 80 like that lol.
I like the tracs on your machine.

Reactions: lowranger
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@IdahoJake, pics of your trailer would be sweet. Sounds pretty damn comfortable ..... When you say kitty extraction are you meaning the long tail versions ??

Reactions: Lochsa88
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Back to the oil pressure issue. In previous posts back on Jan 6 & 11, I describe things related to the idiot light, the sensor it's connected to and actually measuring the oil pressure with an oil pressure guage. This posting is about installing an oil pressure guage.

For me, the trickiest part by far was installing the guage tubing to the engine block. On the engine block near the oil dip stick, Honda uses an 8 mm (M8) bolt and soft washer as a plug. You may be able to install a guage using a factory-made adaptor: "M8, male X 1/4" NTP", female (available from WWW.fitting.space). Then the, "tubing compression X 1/4" NPT" adapter, comes with the guage kit.

Because I'm fairly comptent, want a clean/factory looking job, plus didn't want to wait for a mail-order adaptor, I modified the supplied adaptor, "tubing compression X 1/4" NPT". On the 1/4" NPT end, there was enough meat (brass wall thickness) to cut it down to M8 threads, to then screw into the oil pressure test port on the engine. (see photo 1)

I don't have a metal lathe, so I used my "Red-neck lathe", consisting of a drill press and a die grinder (see photo below). First, put the nut on the compression end of the adapter to protect those threads > put that nut end of adaptor in the chuck > adjusted my calipers to the width of the treads on the M8 bolt that Honda uses as a plug in the port > put a straigh-walled burr in die grinder (see photo 2) > "turned" down the 1/4" NPT to width of calipers > put a robust champher on end, for the M8-1.25 (1.25 = thread spacing) thread-cutting die to get started (see photo 3)> to give myself room to work with the M8 die in its holder, on the 3/8" hex drive of the work-piece and to hold work-piece rigidly, I used a 9 mm socket in an extention tightened in bench vice (see photo 4) > once die is centered and level on top of adaptor to be threaded, rap it quite hard with a 16oz. hammer > pushing down hard on it by hand, turn die very slightly (1/64") to get cutters started > rap once more > as before, turn die very slightly > repeat about 6 more times; (This thread-starting process is not easy. Take your time. Be as precise as possible in keeping die alighned with work piece. If you think it is time to stop the rapping part of the process and just start turning, you could EASILY RUIN what you have just done. There is no way to "test" if it's ready. It's either ready or not ready. Don't gamble.) > start turning without rapping > turn die, cutting down untill it makes contact with 3/8" hex > stop and carefully unscrew off of work-piece > flip die over 180* > carefully turn down on work-piece so that cutters cut all the way down to 3/8" hex > unscrew die off > use riffler file to make level, the bottom surface of the hex, as it will make a sealing contact with the previously mentioned soft washer > install washer and compression nut (see photo 5) > Congrats, your done with this part!!

Now, route the oil guage tubing from dashboard to oil pressure test port before you have either end hooked up > insert the M8 end of the modified adaptor into the oil test port and torque to 9ftlbs > insert to tubing into the adaptor all the way (if you have concerns about having to excesivly tighten the compression nut in order to bend the inside compression collar, to make it seal over 100lb/sq", like I did, remove the collar, finger tighen it onto a wood screw, so you can carefully/consistently bench grind the thin end down to zero) > tighten compression nut (caution: don't over-tighten!!) > same process and concerns in hooking up guage > before putting tools away, test for leaks ( P1000 engine does not reach top oil pressure until 5,000 RPM) > if you have a compression fitting oil leak at this point, I would highly recommend the compression collar thinning described above > Congrats!! You now have way more to go on than just that finicky idiot light.

Notes:
1) Go beyond wearing safty glasses while using Red-neck lathe with die grinder. Brass shavings are so fine, you may not even feel 1 land in your eye. My eye Doc, when I went in, said they can get on your clothing and then into your eye... like it did mine. He found it using his eye-microscope, invisable to the naked eye. It felt minor enough, what ever it was, it would go away in a day or 2. By day 5, it was still irritating, so I went in. He said outer layer of eye ball seals over small pieces like that and makes then a bigger deal to remove. A bigger deal yet, if it is ferrous & you go for an MRI!!

2) I learned the hard way, about putting the compression cap on the work-piece before putting it in the drill press chuck. The threads got buggered up enough to require chasing them with a die. After that, they were too loose to tighten! I was going to build them up with siver solder, but was fresh out. Thought about just squishing the nut a little with my 16oz hammer, but wanted a step more toward good. Adjusted the bench vice jaws to contact 2 of the hex facets, then used a 1/4"-faced punch and hammer on the opposite facet. Snuck up on the desired tightness...worked like a champ; that is with the help of the compression collar thinning described above.

3) You may have noticed the guage reading 75lbs/sq" at idle, 1,200 RPM. It's specked to be 71-85 at 5,000 RPM. At 5,000 RPM, my machine is pegging the 100lb guage!! Maybe that cheep $20 guage is off? Just another thing to worry about...

Jake

P.S. Report on toy hauler conversion to winter Refuge coming soon, maybe under more appropriate heading.

TempImage17wrZ9 TempImageBPdFxR TempImagej07exu TempImagep9OqLb TempImage7zu97p TempImage6sah2Y TempImagezyyfBi

IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Final Update: I invested in the actual Service Manual. It specifies oil pressure as "71-85 PSI at normal operating temp and 5K RPM". My new oil pressure gauge consistently reads around 100 PSI. I went back to Patrick at the Dealership. He had previously spent 1.5 hours on hold to speak to an actual Honda Tech about this issue. The Tech said the 71-85 PSI is the Minimum! The true oil pressure it should run at is 100-110 PSI. Another thing to remember is the pressure sensor is connected to the Dual Clutch Tranny oil, not engine oil. The oil pressure test port is to engine oil. Have no idea why Honda did this. In terms of monitoring oil pressure, it probably doesn't matter much. However, Patrick said Tranny oil runs hotter than engine oil. Even though my findings are not completely clear, I hope they help some other detail-conscious folk.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!