P1000 Oil light

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yesterday I went out to the garage and started my p1k. After letting it warm up a bit I noticed the oil light was on. Since I was just running to the mailbox and back I thought I could put my oil in when I get back. When I put it in reverse it wouldn't move. The engine just revved when I stepped on the gas. I put it in park then reverse again and same thing. So I got my oil and funnel and popped the bed to get at the dipstick. I read it three different times not understanding because it was full. Hopped back in started it up again and the oil light was off and it ran fine. Anyone ever have something like this happen to them? Mine's barely a year old.

Reactions: EMAW and Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you checked your subtrans oil? I don't think it's connected to the oil light, though. (?)

Reactions: Lady01
Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you checked your subtrans oil? I don't think it's connected to the oil light, though. (?)
I'm pretty sure it's the same oil
through the sub trans that goes through the engine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure it's the same oil
through the sub trans that goes through the engine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
No, your engine shares oil with your DCT, but the sub transmission has a separate oil supply. It uses the same grade of oil, but has its own drain and fill and no filter. It's changed out every two years. Consult your manual

Not wanting to go into reverse could be a function of very cold oil in the subtrans, depending on your climate.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think P1K5Dave is correct. Make sure your engine oil is the correct multi-viscosity (10W-30) and let it idle until the "LO" temperature indicator on the dash display goes off. Cold oil that is too thick will not be picked up by the pump triggering a low oil pressure warning. Sub-trans is not your issue in this case.

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think P1K5Dave is correct. Make sure your engine oil is the correct multi-viscosity (10W-30) and let it idle until the "LO" temperature indicator on the dash display goes off. Cold oil that is too thick will not be picked up by the pump triggering a low oil pressure warning. Sub-trans is not your issue in this case.
I generally let her warm up a few minutes before driving but you guys may be right, It's been pretty damn cold here lately.
Thanks all for the input, I'll keep an eye on the gauge if it ever happens again.

H

HondaTech

Just so everyone is clear, the Pioneer 1000 only reads oil pressure on the transmission side.

The pressure light is just out of range, doesnt necessarily low, could be high or just not whats expected.

The engine side of the oil pump has no pressure sensor, so any light being illuminated indicates abnormal oil pressure at the clutch EOP sensor only.

advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just so everyone is clear, the Pioneer 1000 only reads oil pressure on the transmission side.

The pressure light is just out of range, doesnt necessarily low, could be high or just not whats expected.

The engine side of the oil pump has no pressure sensor, so any light being illuminated indicates abnormal oil pressure at the clutch EOP sensor only.
Great info... Thx!

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That explains why I couldn't move in reverse then right?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I said earlier, the reverse problem was likely caused by cold oil in the sub. Cold oil in the DCT would not affect reverse engagement

H

HondaTech

As I said earlier, the reverse problem was likely caused by cold oil in the sub. Cold oil in the DCT would not affect reverse engagement

It would've made a grinding or rattle if the dogs weren't fully engaged. No movement couple with the oil light makes me think either the oil hadnt reached the clutch sensor and clutches yet or the system wouldnt move because the oil light was illuminated.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!