P1000m5 1000-5 Rear Door Inside Storage Modification

A

ADVBUM

Dec 10, 2023
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So did some panel storage today using the rivet nuts that was suggested. Worked out very well and tight. Make sure your holes are all centered with small drill before drilling hole for the Rivet Nut. Insert rivet nut. I cut down the screws so I did not have a long screw in the way on the inside. I did not use locktite. I used nylon locking nuts on the back of the mounting screw tightened up against the rivet nut. It is very tight and is not moving. Easy to adjust. I also used some rubber weather stripping to help keep it sealed up.

20240111 1450261 20240111 1459502 20240111 1520221 20240111 1608171 20240111 1609491

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well done!

You might want to consider using a small foam rubber washer on each of the ball end screws. This to seal out dirt and dust that can interfere with the push button release mechanism. I was using small O-rings for this, and that is workable, but the foam washers make it easier to install the covers and are less fiddly in that regard.

I ended up making the foam washers from some closed cell neoprene sheet, as I couldn't source the washers on-line.

A

ADVBUM

Dec 10, 2023
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well done!

You might want to consider using a small foam rubber washer on each of the ball end screws. This to seal out dirt and dust that can interfere with the push button release mechanism. I was using small O-rings for this, and that is workable, but the foam washers make it easier to install the covers and are less fiddly in that regard.

I ended up making the foam washers from some closed cell neoprene sheet, as I couldn't source the washers on-line.
Here you go. I had the foam sitting from some other items I purchased. I had saved the foam to reduce the 2cnd battery slop when installing it. I cut the little foam washers small enough so they fit inside the nut of the push buttons so It would not push out the panel as I have the weather stripping to seal the hatch.

Foam washer storage

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here you go. I had the foam sitting from some other items I purchased. I had saved the foam to reduce the 2cnd battery slop when installing it. I cut the little foam washers small enough so they fit inside the nut of the push buttons so It would not push out the panel as I have the weather stripping to seal the hatch.
Keep and eye on it. That plastic foam, commonly used as shipping packing, may (or may not) wear well in that application. If it works, great! If not, here's what I used. EPDM closed cell foam, 1/8" thick. I used EPDM as it weathers well and holds up to ozone etc.

EPDM foam

baumcratz

baumcratz

Jul 29, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got some time home and finished this project. Well, almost finished. Still waiting on the thumb screws. I’ll do 2-3 per door and that should be enough.

Passenger side panel. If someone cared they could color the rivets.
View attachment 76050

Rivet up top for the chain.
View attachment 76051

Not too bad.
View attachment 76052

This is what I fit in the passenger door.
View attachment 76053

View attachment 76054

Driver side
View attachment 76055
Did you have trouble removing the factory Allen screws? Mine are tight as he'll and stripping! Using a 5.5mm, any advice is greatly appreciated!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you have trouble removing the factory Allen screws? Mine are tight as he'll and stripping! Using a 5.5mm, any advice is greatly appreciated!
They definitely pop/break loose. Sort of like a blue level loctite.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Put a punch in the hex and give it a whack with a hammer.
Just one medium good whack (not too much, not too little).
The part with the female threads is captured in plastic so you can't go crazy.

baumcratz

baumcratz

Jul 29, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put a punch in the hex and give it a whack with a hammer.
Just one medium good whack (not too much, not too little).
The part with the female threads is captured in plastic so you can't go crazy.
I'll definitely give that a try! Thanks!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had some of mine that were a real pain and like you stripped the heads out. I ended up trying to drill them out but had little success. The drill bit heated up the bolt which in turn melted the plastic panel enough enlarging the hole so that I could get them off. Then I just used a set of vise grips to remove the stud. In all actuality it worked alright as you need to enlarge the hole in the panel for the hood latches anyways. Good luck.

Reactions: baumcratz

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!