P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm inclined to think something is up with the axles you're getting, but it sure seems unlikely on the other hand.

Stock shocks (no heavy preload possible) and a bracket lift aren't an automatic ticket to blown axles, and the Rhino 2s should hold up better with something like 30% more flex in them.

I have the TTC 3" kit on mine, and before that the PO had a bracket lift on it. Rear axles had 3000 miles with the bracket kit and another 7000 miles on the TTC lift before one of the boots came off and the axle was super hot.

I took that opportunity to replace both rear axles with 2.0s and they've been flawless in the 1000 miles since.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One way to know for sure, I guess, is to replace it with another OEM axle and if that goes back to normal, I'd say you have a case to make with SATV.

It's kind of a shotgun approach, though, and I'd try to exhaust any possible problems at the rear diff first, although I have no direction to suggest.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My want to fix that boot with new one or re band it, take that suspension Geometry out of wack lift out and try it. I bet it wont happen again! I had a bracket lift at one point, i call it the poor mans lift 😂 got a couple leaky boots also A few times. Besides the shock suspension Geometry now dam near straight up and down, a few other things were slightly off from normal. Some new arms and shocks to adjust preload is the way to go If u want to stay with stock axels. Longer axels with bigger/higher arms
6000 miles with a bracket lift never been an issue.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One way to know for sure, I guess, is to replace it with another OEM axle and if that goes back to normal, I'd say you have a case to make with SATV.

It's kind of a shotgun approach, though, and I'd try to exhaust any possible problems at the rear diff first, although I have no direction to suggest.
Rear diff is fully maintained adjusted ect by joey and @snuffnwhisky isn't any issue there.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you greased the joint did you apply a similar amount of grease to both sides of the CV? Also before clamping the boot did you stroke the CV joint all the way in and then half way back out?

I don't think @cawilkes would have ever done any greasing or boot installing Todd (?)

SATV axles come fully assembled and they replaced the full axle once, with the same result.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yours hasn't been a problem since you went back to a stock axle, right @Plumber32 ?

Was it a new oem axle? And you only failed with one SATV axle, not two like @cawilkes ?
I've had rhino 2.0 in there for years now. Probably 3 years plus. Only ever broke 2 axels both were stock and wedged so my fault. I've also had logs get jammed and ruin a boot. But we put a stock one on and no heat to speak of.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I've had rhino 2.0 in there for years now. Probably 3 years plus. Only ever broke 2 axels both were stock and wedged so my fault. I've also had logs get jammed and ruin a boot. But we put a stock one on and no heat to speak of.
☝️☝️☝️TROOF☝️☝️☝️

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
It started clicking really bad, I don't think it's worth going through the mess of putting a boot on for it to blow in no time. I filled out the warranty slip online but haven't heard back. Or very possible it didn't go through on my end.
Super easy. Just give us a ring whenever you get a chance and they'll do it over the phone. The warranty guys need order info, pics of the part number on the shaft, and that's about it I think. They have to fill out the form and go through the process, but its super simple. 855-743-3427.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Super easy. Just give us a ring whenever you get a chance and they'll do it over the phone. The warranty guys need order info, pics of the part number on the shaft, and that's about it I think. They have to fill out the form and go through the process, but its super simple. 855-743-3427.
And if you mention #NTC they might even send a sticker. 🤣😂

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've been trying to PM you with a question at SuperATV and it won't go through? Trying to figure out if it this site or what.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I've been trying to PM you with a question at SuperATV and it won't go through? Trying to figure out if it this site or what.
brucevain-blocked.gif

🤣🤣 I'll shoot you a PM Smitty.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Check to see if the inner CV bell is rubbing the diff housing. Saw that once with a SATV axle. Also might want to kind of do a break in before running 50 mph extended.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check to see if the inner CV bell is rubbing the diff housing. Saw that once with a SATV axle. Also might want to kind of do a break in before running 50 mph extended.
We do break in like the army! Either it lives or dies lol. But seriously a cruise in turf mode is a break in, isn't it?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
2.5” lift with 28” tires. Nothing crazy by any means. The original reason for replacing was a punctured Honda boot. Something a little bigger than a pin hole. I could understand if this had been an ongoing issue and I was having similar issues with the factory. I figured the simplicity of just replacing with a Rhino would be the route to go and possibly end up replacing all 4 with rhinos down the road.
I'm not going to be precise, but I remember the boot bands are a few mm different in diameter from inner to outer something like 78.6mm vs 81mm (definitely not exact, haven't read the size stamped in over 4 years. Anyways, it is possible the band clamping the boot in place is the wrong diameter? Just a guess, but the heat you mentioned is definitely a contributing factor. May try running without the 2.5" lift and see if it's a CV binding issue causing heat build up.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Stop asking for nudes of the @SuperATV models. It ain't gonna happen ya old perv... 🤣

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!