P1000 1000-5 rough idle

C

Cambo

Jun 3, 2017
Denver colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took a look at the map for Colorado gas stations and unfortunately none near me. I'm not opposed to getting some in a city and bringing it to where the SBS is stored to see if it makes a difference .
Many thanks.

Reactions: sharp
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure what or how severe the symptoms are.
The P1k has a 270* crank so the firing order is not even.
Its no where near as lumpy as a harley.

The 270* crank is a hold over from the African Twin.
on a dirt bike the uneven firing order makes it easyer to control the rear wheel.
See here for the "big bang " therory :

Guest Column - The Big Bang vs. Screamer Debate in MotoGP | MotoMatters.com | Kropotkin Thinks

but there is no advantage on a SxS (except the engine is used in multiple vehicles and cheaper to manufacture) .

I'm not able to say this is or is not what is happening.
Probably JTW 's recording is your best shot to compare.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Octane may help due to your elevation.. but I bet someplace has a high octane ethanol free around ya!

Do a search online for either Sunoco or VP fuels. They make some 100 octane non-oxygenated that works great. Engine runs cooler as well. Costs a bit more than pump gas though. We used to buy the Sunoco by the 55 gallon drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The idle I don't know about but u can adjust rubber stops for door rattling. Doors also have a double latch to them so may want to push them in again after u hear first latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought you were supposed to to take them back to the dealer if it didn't rattle! HA!

D

Dasmoeturhead

My p3 will act like its fouled sometimes when I start it in the mornings. About every 7 or 8 times I try to start it. Once its started I rev it a bit and it clears up. I haven't checked my plugs yet. I run 100% gas (non- ethanol) only. No additives.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My p3 will act like its fouled sometimes when I start it in the mornings. About every 7 or 8 times I try to start it. Once its started I rev it a bit and it clears up. I haven't checked my plugs yet. I run 100% gas (non- ethanol) only. No additives.
TAKE IT BACK! Thats not normal.

Reactions: ChadD
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What I've done and proved effective is to rev it up a little before you shut it down. I guess to clear it's throat.

Reactions: ChadD and joeymt33
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine acts that way too. The manual says to apply some throttle when starting and that has cleared it up for me.
Mine purrs like a kitten every time?

Reactions: ChadD
D

Dasmoeturhead

I just re-read that it sounds kinda smart assy. I didn't mean that at all.

Let us know if it helps.
No worries, didn't take it that way.
I read the manual again, and your absolutely correct. Honda does tell you how to start one that has a starting problem. Normal starting procedure is just start normal (no throttle), but if its trying to die, then turn it off for 10 seconds then apply 1/2 throttle and try again. If it still runs rough, same procedure as before but with full throttle while engaging the starter. Good stuff to know.

Reactions: joeymt33
D

Dasmoeturhead

TAKE IT BACK! Thats not normal.
If I thought it was serious enough I would, but it isn't. Just like the rattling bed, and doors don't really ruin my day. I blip the throttle before shutting down also. Doesn't always work. Again its such a minor thing I don't really even give it a 2nd thought. It always starts and I'm able to begin my day of chores . oh, and as a side note I would never take it back to the shop unless it was still under warranty ( which it ain't).
I do all my own wrenching. As a retired tech, I can't. (or wont) let anybody work on my stuff.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1000cc 2cyl is going to be a little shaky. Mine was better after the programmer.

You didn't happen to test richening up the A/F mixture did you?

I have read on Facebook where it made the machine cooler since it was set to the factory so lean, I was wondering by how much.

Reactions: Smitty335
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You didn't happen to test richening up the A/F mixture did you?

I have read on Facebook where it made the machine cooler since it was set to the factory so lean, I was wondering by how much.
I have the autotune but the fuel map is mostly richer on top of the default fuel tables from dynojet. Yes, very much on the lean side stock.

Reactions: popeye and pct

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!