P1000m5 1000-5 vs wolverine X4

R

Riddler6point7

Oct 24, 2018
US
Going shopping tomorrow for a new SXS. Tired of the down time that my rzr generates...

Anyways, just mainly slow paced (average 10mph) trail riding in the ozark mountains with my wife and 4 year old boy. I am split 50/50 between a camo X4 and a green 1000-5. Price is pretty much the same however yamaha is offering 0% financing for 60 months.

Why should I buy the pioneer over the wolverine?

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They are both great machines for certain. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. For me, the bench seat was a must. The dogs like to go with us, and they wouldn't be able to get in the front with the console tunnel in the Yamaha.

The other difference is the rear area. With the Honda, you can have a full bed in the back, because the seats fold completely down. On the Yamaha, all you can do is slide those two seats up against the front seats.. they're still there. I looked at removing one of the seats to give the dogs room, but what a pain in the butt..

We were going for a 1K-5 at first too, but realized there is just two of us.. we bought the 3 instead. Now we can have the dogs in the front or the back, and have a full bed to carry stuff in.

Best of luck to ya!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Going shopping tomorrow for a new SXS. Tired of the down time that my rzr generates...

Anyways, just mainly slow paced (average 10mph) trail riding in the ozark mountains with my wife and 4 year old boy. I am split 50/50 between a camo X4 and a green 1000-5. Price is pretty much the same however yamaha is offering 0% financing for 60 months.

Why should I buy the pioneer over the wolverine?

Thanks for your input.

Both are great rigs in my opinion and you won’t go wrong with either.

I think the pioneer 1000 is a little more capable with the more power. It’s also wider so that may help in off camber situations or may restrict your access to certain trails.

I think Yamaha has the best accessories and they are higher quality accessories.

I think you need some time behind the wheel to help make a decision. Good luck and keep us posted.

R

Riddler6point7

Oct 24, 2018
US
I would like to put 30s on either vehicle, however may stay with 28s.

My main concerns with the pioneer are slipping the clutch in low speed rocks, heat in the cab, and the comfort of the bench seats on long rides.

My likes of the pioneer are the lack of belt, I'm tired of them. Also it will be much easier to get in and out of and might feel more roomy with the bench seat and lack of center console. I do like the thought of the dump bed, but not sure how much I would actually end up using it.

The X4 seems like the seats would be more comfortable on long rides, especially for anyone in the back. However I believe that my son would probably just ride in the middle seat of the pioneer. Yamaha does have their clutching down for sure, but 50mph speed limiter from the factory. I believe either one will be able to fit the same amount of tire. The X4 is really awkward to get in and out of, that's for sure.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This was my honest opinion on the Wolverine X4 after owning a Pioneer and considering on switching. I came back to Pioneer.
The ride was was done an an area we normally ride with very tight trails and we rode it pretty hard through there.

Wolverine x4 real ride

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would like to put 30s on either vehicle, however may stay with 28s.

My main concerns with the pioneer are slipping the clutch in low speed rocks, heat in the cab, and the comfort of the bench seats on long rides.

My likes of the pioneer are the lack of belt, I'm tired of them. Also it will be much easier to get in and out of and might feel more roomy with the bench seat and lack of center console. I do like the thought of the dump bed, but not sure how much I would actually end up using it.

The X4 seems like the seats would be more comfortable on long rides, especially for anyone in the back. However I believe that my son would probably just ride in the middle seat of the pioneer. Yamaha does have their clutching down for sure, but 50mph speed limiter from the factory. I believe either one will be able to fit the same amount of tire. The X4 is really awkward to get in and out of, that's for sure.

The issues with the clutches on the pioneer is nonexistent anymore. I’m running 32’s and I’ve still not replaced the clutch with over 3000 miles. I had 30s from the time it was new up until a few months ago.

The rear tires on the Xfor look like it may have some clearance issues if you wanted to run 30 inch tires

R

Riddler6point7

Oct 24, 2018
US
The issues with the clutches on the pioneer is nonexistent anymore. I’m running 32’s and I’ve still not replaced the clutch with over 3000 miles. I had 30s from the time it was new up until a few months ago.

The rear tires on the Xfor look like it may have some clearance issues if you wanted to run 30 inch tires
Good to know about the clutches.

I believe I will have to do lift and or offset a arms on either the pioneer or X4 to fit 30s, is that correct as far as the pioneer is concerned?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I believe I will have to do lift and or offset a arms on either the pioneer or X4 to fit 30s, is that correct as far as the pioneer is concerned?

A lot of guys are running 30’s with no lift and offset arms only.

Some big tires like the 30” roctanes need lift and forward arms.

Here’s 30” Terrabites with just arms and about 1” lift which wasn’t needed.
E63bc1a55225cec1c2e10550604a98ef

Not even close to the fender.
E1f0d5ab8811f9598efeb47c093202d2

Sorry I can’t help with the X4 pics

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

As far as your questions go Honda now has 10x the resistance to clutch failure. It’s solid, and this is coming from a guy with multiple failures. The Wolverine does have lifetime warranty on belts so keep that in mind but that ol engine breaking the pioneer has is unbelievable, plus the ability to be in powerband whenever. It’s just incredible.
Both are tight front/back but pioneer has more space but isn’t as comfortable. Tilt bed a bit of a joke on Pioneer but it’s nice to have a full bed.
Getting in/out the Wolverine sucks. Pioneer is way easier.
Heat in nonexistent on Wolverine but Honda is easily fixed and and is welcomed anyway sometimes!
50mph is easily fixed in the Wolverine if needed.
Both are great choices. I choose Pioneer for my family even after previous issues.

advertisement
R

Riddler6point7

Oct 24, 2018
US
Thanks for the input everyone. Going to go drive both today. Unfortunately it will be just around the parking lot.

Why do I keep seeing pics of all the pioneers with a snorkel in the hood? Is it fixing a problem or is it just a popular mod like any other sxs with snorkels?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the input everyone. Going to go drive both today. Unfortunately it will be just around the parking lot.

Why do I keep seeing pics of all the pioneers with a snorkel in the hood? Is it fixing a problem or is it just a popular mod like any other sxs with snorkels?

There was an issue with first year models. 16's were prone to sucking in water and locking up the engine. Honda revised the intake for mid year 17's. If you are looking at brand new stuff. The issues have been corrected.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Belt or gears ? 4 seats or 5 ? Smaller motor or bigger motor? Yamaha or Honda? I bought the Pioneer 1000-5 got over 3,200 miles on it still going good by the one you like the best or the one that you can afford.

C

CJH

Sep 17, 2018
Black Hills, South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a '16 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. Before I added the plow and full windshield I decided I should go and drive an X4 and make sure it wasn't better for us. This was last fall after X4's were starting to show up at dealers as I recall so we had been using our Pioneer for a bit over a year. For reference my boys were 8 and 9 at the time of the test drive. They hadn't and still haven't fallen in love with trail riding so I was curious of the more comfortable seats, quieter cab noise and less cab heat might switch their interest.

The good:

The X4 was clearly quieter. I know there is one shootout type test between that says the Pioneer is quieter but I can tell you the X4 seemed much quieter to all four of us during the test drive.

The seats were more comfortable and the better choice for family trail riding.

The bad:

I didn't think the seats were that comfortable. I feel like I've been in more comfortable seats in Rzr's and Can Ams that maybe angled back more. Seat preference is very personal and for sure the design of the X4 would allow a wider variety of aftermarket choices than the Pioneer. The Pioneer seats are great for utility use and frequent getting in and out, which is how I use it most. And as already mentioned, getting in and out of the X4 for plowing and tree work would grow old quickly.

I'm only 5'10" with short legs and I felt the cockpit was a almost cramped. 6' with long legs could be a problem in the X4.

The X4 I drove had a mushy mid-range throttle feel. It was noticeable enough that I got out twice to check the governor under the hood and also to make sure all seat belts were fastened, which I believe also act as a governor on the X4. If I had decided I wanted the X4 I would have asked to test drive a second one to see if I noticed the same thing. I never heard anyone else mention it but had a neighbor approach me recently about my Pioneer as he is considering one and an X4. I mentioned it to him and he said he had read the same thing in some online review(s), so maybe there is something to it.

All in all if I could justify a second UTV just for trail riding my search would probably start with the X4. I would not want to drive a long wheelbase four seater on our local trails so there is not a lot of choices currently.

Short version. Pioneer was the best choice for use with our combination of family fun vehicle and utility workhorse. X4 is what would be a family fun vehicle and not so much utility work.

J

JTW

If you need more than 2 seats get a pioneer 1000-5.. I think you’ll find that with more people and more weight.. the Wolverine will be lacking in a multi person rig. You might not notice it driving around a parking lot but it will be evident on the side of a mountain loaded heavy.

R

Riddler6point7

Oct 24, 2018
US
Went and drove them all. Things I liked about each of them. The X4 felt a little lower quality/cheaper then I expected, but felt good driving.

Anyways, here is a quote I got on the base green 1000-5 with a roof, might be a decent price but seems like they can do better.

Dffde0ad82b41277187ef8075b6d5528

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Went and drove them all. Things I liked about each of them. The X4 felt a little lower quality/cheaper then I expected, but felt good driving.

Anyways, here is a quote I got on the base green 1000-5 with a roof, might be a decent price but seems like they can do better.

View attachment 91797

I think you'll get a lot of feedback from other members about the "Technician Setup & Prep" line. Hopefully, your tech & prep is done properly. It all depends on your dealer. Good luck.

R

Riddler6point7

Oct 24, 2018
US
I think you'll get a lot of feedback from other members about the "Technician Setup & Prep" line. Hopefully, your tech & prep is done properly. It all depends on your dealer. Good luck.
Ha ha ha. Truth is there is not a single dealer anywhere around here that I trust anymore. I was a tech at a dealership about 10 years ago, so I know from experience that there are few good ones.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 91797

If trying to save a little cash don’t be afraid to buy a new 16-17 either! Just have updates done and ride it

M

mtrbike

Dec 27, 2016
Atlanta Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ha ha ha. Truth is there is not a single dealer anywhere around here that I trust anymore. I was a tech at a dealership about 10 years ago, so I know from experience that there are few good ones.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
if your near Ohio check out honda of east toledo
they were 1400 dollars cheaper than anyone in michigan

Reactions: TimG and BWAF
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!