P1000m5 1000 dies after a few seconds of running.

V

Viper305

Sep 26, 2017
Ohio
I Recently had to rebuild my engine and when I start it up it sounds and runs fine, but will only run for a few seconds then shuts off. The red oil light is on. I am thinking it could be low oil pressure, but do not have the right fitting to test it now. Any ideas where to start checking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
D

Deleted member 3748

Did you have to rebuild the engine because you sank it? If yes, did you get all of the water out of the fuel?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grab a tube of dielectric grease, check EVERY connector and ground.
I don’t see this being a quick easy repair.

V

Viper305

Sep 26, 2017
Ohio
I have already checked all of the wires the wire connections added the grease and the three grounds. The engine ingested water not on my part. Deformed intake hose from Honda that separated below the seat. That will be another post when I have the time to type that ordeal out.

B

BigBlockBobby

Oct 16, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Start with the simple stuff.
1) Batt voltage with the key turned off.
2) Key on engine off.
3) Key on engine running.
4) Check all fuses.
5) Check fuel pressure.
6) Check all grounds.
Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

V

Viper305

Sep 26, 2017
Ohio
I will work on it a couple nights this week and will let you know thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: BigBlockBobby
V

Viper305

Sep 26, 2017
Ohio
I checked the voltages key off 12.6, key on 12.6 and running 14.5. Grounds appear to be tight and clean. Have not check the fuels pressure and fuses yet.

B

BigBlockBobby

Oct 16, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The voltage checks look good.
Check the fuel pressure and see what it is at.
Does the oil light stay on the whole time?

B

BRSullivan

Jul 2, 2023
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello. Digging up an old post. I recently bought a used 2018 1000-5 at a steep discount because it runs, but shuts off. After tearing into it, I'm fairly confident the engine ingested water. Hooray. After reading this thread, and multiple others on the topic, this thread seems to be the exact same symptoms that I'm experiencing. You mentioned that yours was doing this because the clutches were not fully engaging. Can you please describe exactly what you needed to do to get them engaged? I've read on other forums that you can recalibrate them (which is what my dash lights are telling me to do), but I can't get the engine warm to do the process. So far, I've done the list below. I'd appreciate any help that you can lend. Thank you!
New Parts:
  • Battery
  • Engine oil (flushed), EO filter and DTC oil filter. Yes they are installed correctly :)
  • Spark plugs
  • EOP sensors (3) are coming soon. The oil was milky behind them
Troubleshooting:
  • Did not have a check engine light on to begin with
  • Erased DTC codes, just in case
  • No new check engine lights have come on
  • Battery voltage while off, on, and running (for 9 seconds) all are good (12.6v, 12.6v, 14.1v)
  • Voltage to all three EOP sensors are ~5V
  • Checked/cleaned connections
  • Fuel system is operating at 100% - fuel flow, pressure.
    • Drained, cleaned and refilled fuel tank with fresh gas

Reactions: ChadD
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Running or not, post some pics before you're found in violation of rule #4! (Start a new thread). ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!