P700 14' 700 4- engine surge now and then

V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
Anyone with a 700 ever have it act up while driving, you stop at an idle, and go to take off again and the engine surges repeatedly if you touch the throttle, let off, idles fine, touch throttle and it does it again, and the only way to stop it, is to put it in neutral and rev it up once, back in D and everything will be fine for an hour, a day, who knows.

On a 3 day weekend where we put 80 miles total on it, it might do it 3 times total, so not every time.

Have never heard of it, doesn't really bother me a ton, and its not getting more frequent or worse.

Just curious!

Greg

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
..Mine will do it if I shut It off in gear and restart it.But it only does it 2 or 3 times....also make sure air cleaner is clean... these machine have a poor intake location

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've got about 200 slow miles on my '17 700-4 and I haven't noticed that yet. A couple of times it would act like I didn't have my seatbelt on at fifteen MPH and limit the throttle when the seatbelt was on.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think it is another quirk from no O2 sensor. The 15s and later models have them

V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
Possibly...but I like no 02 sensor...only so I can run same fuel in all the toys...:)

Little lead for my valve seats thank you! :)

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm not sure I fully understand what's happening. Is it basically a funky idle or is it acting like the transmission isn't engaging when you press the throttle? If it's doing this at idle you might need to clean your IAC valve.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
The only issue I have ever had with mine ('15 with o2 sensor) is not wanting to start when its really cold outside. But I think having fresh premium gas in it during the winter months cured that problem.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I only use 91-93 non ethanol gasoline since day one. I've done the first service exactly at 100 miles/16 hours. The surging that occurred was while driving at/around 13-15 MPH. Almost like my seatbelt wasn't on but was. It didn't feel like throttle or transmission problems but more like computer thinking seatbelt was not on only because of the speed I was at. No light on dash. Ever since the last occurrence I make sure to have my seatbelt on before I put it into drive. Not sure why this would fix it but it hasn't done it in about fifty miles.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I only use 91-93 non ethanol gasoline since day one. I've done the first service exactly at 100 miles/16 hours. The surging that occurred was while driving at/around 13-15 MPH. Almost like my seatbelt wasn't on but was. It didn't feel like throttle or transmission problems but more like computer thinking seatbelt was not on only because of the speed I was at. No light on dash. Ever since the last occurrence I make sure to have my seatbelt on before I put it into drive. Not sure why this would fix it but it hasn't done it in about fifty miles.
By the way, I love my machine and this "glitch" doesn't sway me from buying another one.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I did some checking with a friend that suggested you could have air pockets in your cooling system.
The coolant can provide engine temp to the computer that are erratic and the computer is constantly trying to adjust for the different temps.
I don't know if these have a closed and open loop mode in the computer, which might explain why its not a constant problem.
Just a guess to try and help.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did some checking with a friend that suggested you could have air pockets in your cooling system.
The coolant can provide engine temp to the computer that are erratic and the computer is constantly trying to adjust for the different temps.
I don't know if these have a closed and open loop mode in the computer, which might explain why its not a constant problem.
Just a guess to try and help.
Thanks, I'm just gonna keep an eye on things. If it ain't broke, can't fix it!

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
did you check the oil level? sounds kind of what my will do if I don't let it warm up enough during cold weather months. Mine will shift 1st to 2nd good but seems like it just drops out of gear instead of shifting into 3rd if I don't let it warm up good enough. The cold oil isn't getting fed into the torque converter fast enough to transfer the power. If I let up on the throttle it will continue in second gear until the oil warms enough to flow, then it won't do it again.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok. I was able to repeat the issue. I took my seatbelt off while stopped in drive, got out to check something on the trail, got back in put my seatbelt on and continued on my way. It stuttered at 13MPH, like I didn't have my seatbelt on, I dropped my speed to under ten and then accelerated normally. So I think the computer doesn't pick it up or switches something.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
So whenever I stop, I make sure to put it in neutral first and it never does that.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I'd bypass the the dumb ass seat belt switches. But then again I never wear them anyway.

Reactions: swsebek
V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
I'm not sure I fully understand what's happening. Is it basically a funky idle or is it acting like the transmission isn't engaging when you press the throttle? If it's doing this at idle you might need to clean your IAC valve.

Hard to edplain but imagine if in drive, at a stop, let off the brake and you press the pedal down 1/2" to drive off and hold it there, the engine jumps up 1000 rpm, back to idle, up 1000 rpm, and repeats as long as you hold the throttle. Press the throttle further and it gets worse, or almost tries to stall. Simply put it in neutral, rev it up once (always revs fine), put it back in drive and it runs perfect for the rest of the day most likely. No smells, no smoke (like rich) no nothing.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!