mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Trying to learn as much as I can about the Pioneer.... specifically some of the things I can't really learn on a short demo ride at the dealer.

When pushed on... say a gravel road, does it slide predictably? does it push (understeer) much? How much body roll do you feel? I know there will be differences in the dlx vs the LE with the Fox shocks.

But overall, how does it feel when driven harder?

R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trying to learn as much as I can about the Pioneer.... specifically some of the things I can't really learn on a short demo ride at the dealer.

When pushed on... say a gravel road, does it slide predictably? does it push (understeer) much? How much body roll do you feel? I know there will be differences in the dlx vs the LE with the Fox shocks.

Mine had pretty bad toe out on the front tires when it was new. I adjusted that to very minimal toe out and it definitely handles better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I has body roll BUT it’s an off-road vehicle, even with the sway bar off it’s not unstable. But it’s an OFFroad vehicle, you have to realize it isn’t going to corner like an Indy car and it can tip over if you take a turn too fast/quick.

A lift will make it worse as will a heavy speaker roof and light bars and anything else mounted above seat level.

I kept all the weight low after learning from my 700 build.

No lift (added spacers for my inner beadlocks to clear the SATV a-arms and makes a huge difference I didn’t think I’d make) no heavy speakers at roof level, no high mounted light bars, no heavy spare carrier, soft mid panel instead of hard, and following others with lifts and weight high you can visibly SEE the difference in stability.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Forgot Fox help not hurt on rough terrain, hard to tell a difference on smooth terrain.

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll throw my two cents in the hat. It's a Pioneer made with 50/50 in mind. Meaning 50% fun and 50% work. It does well as a stock unit and if you want to pump the cash into it you can eventually get a sport handling suspension. My suggestion would be to buy a Polaris XP 1000. They were designed to hammer the hell out of it. They have a factory suspension that will have you blasting through corners broad slide in comfort with complete confidence. A Pioneer can do it to a point, if you put enough cash into it, but it will never be a Razor. You can have a mix of both worlds with a Pioneer. But it can never blow and go like a Razor. Two completely different rigs built with two completely different types of riders in mind.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll throw my two cents in the hat. It's a Pioneer made with 50/50 in mind. Meaning 50% fun and 50% work. It does well as a stock unit and if you want to pump the cash into it you can eventually get a sport handling suspension. My suggestion would be to buy a Polaris XP 1000. They were designed to hammer the hell out of it. They have a factory suspension that will have you blasting through corners broad slide in comfort with complete confidence. A Pioneer can do it to a point, if you put enough cash into it, but it will never be a Razor. You can have a mix of both worlds with a Pioneer. But it can never blow and go like a Razor. Two completely different rigs built with two completely different types of riders in mind.

Nope it’s most definitely not a sport you’ll have to wait till November to see the specs on that Honda.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yea, I know it's not a "sport" machine. A sport machine won't work for me at all. I'm just trying to determine how much more "sporty" it is than my Viking, specifically how it handles. My Viking has a bit of a "push" (understeer) as you come into a corner, which is no big deal if it had enough punch to bring the back end around with the throttle & even things out. It doesn't.

My machine spends 70% of it's time on our place here. The bed will be full of sprinkler parts, shovels, etc.. On our place in North Idaho, we have a little more fun with it. But even there, it'll spend most of it's time in low range 4wd.

My Vike has 850 miles, and 194 hrs. Computes to an average speed of 4.3 mph.

Keep in mind, I traded one of my ATV's for the Viking. It was a Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. The sucker ripped. I put 5,000+ miles on that thing & loved it. It GPS'd at just over 70 mph, and I could bust the tires loose on a gravel road at will. I'm not saying I need that much of a power to weight ratio... but I definitely want some "rip".

And for the guy that recommended Polaris.. My wife works at a multi-line store that has Polaris. On paper I really like the General, but all it takes is a small amount of research & you realize the build quality/reliability is not as good as Honda or Yamaha.

I would not hesitate to jump in my Vike and go into the boonies. I know it'll get me back. I bought a Honda Rancher ES new in '02. I still use it regularly, & there is just short of 10K on the clock. It has never let me down.

I wouldn't have the same level of confidence in a Polaris.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, I know it's not a "sport" machine. A sport machine won't work for me at all. I'm just trying to determine how much more "sporty" it is than my Viking, specifically how it handles. My Viking has a bit of a "push" (understeer) as you come into a corner, which is no big deal if it had enough punch to bring the back end around with the throttle & even things out. It doesn't.

My machine spends 70% of it's time on our place here. The bed will be full of sprinkler parts, shovels, etc.. On our place in North Idaho, we have a little more fun with it. But even there, it'll spend most of it's time in low range 4wd.

My Vike has 850 miles, and 194 hrs. Computes to an average speed of 4.3 mph.

Keep in mind, I traded one of my ATV's for the Viking. It was a Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. The sucker ripped. I put 5,000+ miles on that thing & loved it. It GPS'd at just over 70 mph, and I could bust the tires loose on a gravel road at will. I'm not saying I need that much of a power to weight ratio... but I definitely want some "rip".

And for the guy that recommended Polaris.. My wife works at a multi-line store that has Polaris. On paper I really like the General, but all it takes is a small amount of research & you realize the build quality/reliability is not as good as Honda or Yamaha.

I would not hesitate to jump in my Vike and go into the boonies. I know it'll get me back. I bought a Honda Rancher ES new in '02. I still use it regularly, & there is just short of 10K on the clock. It has never let me down.

I wouldn't have the same level of confidence in a Polaris.

10/4

Mine gets used a lot around the homestead, but I also tear ass around it too. It WILL powerslide in 4wd/Low range with 30x10-14 Blackwaters and it’s stable enough to do it even without the sway bar but you need to be conscience of it being too heavy.

A sport would be awesome but it wouldn’t work for me unless I also had a utility. If I could afford both I’d sell the P1K when the Honda Sport comes out and get a Kubota diesel UTV and a Sport.

Reactions: Landman and JTW
advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The best analogy I can make from having owned both brands is: Honda = Corvette handling. Polaris = Porsche 911 handling. Honda is sure footed and stable and more forgiving of a driver input error than a Polaris. Polaris has tons of grip and performance ability but when she gives up...she gives it all up.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is the i4wd system something you just want?
It’ll be easier for my wife.. put it in 4wd & go.
Do you have something against it?

I like the suspension, the front bumper, the skid plate, the add’l storage.. I like how it looks. From what I read, the i4wd system works just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Uhhhh... I think a jeep would be more accurate on the Honda.

Lol! I realize it’s not a sports car. I’ve been riding ATV’s for 16 yrs, & had my Viking for 3 yrs. I get it.
I’ve driven the 1000 in a parking lot. I am absolutely amazed at how quiet it is, and how smooth the power delivery is off idle.

I’m just curious about how well the chassis handles steering inputs with a little speed.. does the front bite & turn, or does it push (under steer) first..

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol! I realize it’s not a sports car. I’ve been riding ATV’s for 16 yrs, & had my Viking for 3 yrs. I get it.
I’ve driven the 1000 in a parking lot. I am absolutely amazed at how quiet it is, and how smooth the power delivery is off idle.

I’m just curious about how well the chassis handles steering inputs with a little speed.. does the front bite & turn, or does it push (under steer) first..

Start at 3:38 ignore the GPS speedo it behind a good bit you can hear me hit the speed limiter at 35 and it shows something like 20. That’s no spacers no Fox no sway bar factory tires, at the time

Reactions: mjn and BWAF

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I find it's more tuned to work use. Not that it understeers terribly but it's not especially crisp on the turn-in. It's more pickup-like than car-like. If you're asking if it'll keep up with a Polaris General on trails, the answer is a resounding "no". But hey...I can have a blast in my 2500HD!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!