P1000 1K-5 handling; understeer much?

J

JTW

It’ll be easier for my wife.. put it in 4wd & go.
Do you have something against it?

I like the suspension, the front bumper, the skid plate, the add’l storage.. I like how it looks. From what I read, the i4wd system works just fine.
No, just know that all the accessories can be added to a non LE and the small aluminum skid plate isn’t a good thing. Also be aware that the painted panels are stupid expensive compared to regular plastic panels. All the accessory items are lipstick on a pig. Some of those items you’ll be purchasing again or will cost you more in the long haul. The question to ask yourself is if you want i4wd system. That’s the only real difference in the machines.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ive got the LE and while @JTW has a point as far as adding stuff separately that is better in the long run, not to mention possibly for cheaper, there’s one point that hasn’t been brought up - if you don’t have an extra few thousand laying around for all these extra goodies, it’s kind of a moot point. If you’ve got cash for extras saved up, then JTW is on point.
As far as steering goes, I didn’t like the feel at all until I corrected the toe out. Like others have mentioned, it’s Honda’s standard because it makes it safer for the normal driver I guess. I found that it seemed to fight me making small direction/steering changes and then when turning enough to make it go the direction I wanted, it would be like an over correction and turn too much. Not to mention the excessive wear on the tires it’ll cause. Once the toe in/out is corrected, it steers perfect... or at least how I expect it to steer.
I have zero complaints for the i4wd, but I’ve not had mine in some of the situations others have, so... maybe not the best comparison. Sure, there’s extra electronics that could cause an issue in the future, but just sticking it in one 4wd option and going sure doesn’t suck... it’s still early but there’s been no reports about i4wd failing so far.

Last edited:
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fox shocks and 8 ply tires definitely make a huge difference. Removing the sway bar helps loosen up the rear end. Overall it's not a sport machine but it's more than fun on trails.

In stock form, the Big Horn tires are terrible and the front tires give basically zero feedback in any form of terrian and they wear like erasers on anything harder than dry sand. I agree an alignment helps for more confident drivers as a nuetral or slight toe in will reduce the understeer and tire sidewall roll but if you have other people driving your machine (wife or kids) the understeer tends to deter really aggressive driving

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It handles hi speed just fine. Over memorial day weekend i put 270 miles on in 1 day and a few hrs the night before. Riding with razr, wildcat and general. Mines lifted and all that jazz. No problems running 50-60 for long periods. 40-55 mines real confident and happy. With stock tires and no lift with fox shocks I imagine it will be all that much better. I think you will love the le.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guys. I definitely want the Fox shocks, front bumper & the other gingerbread stuff. As far as painted panels go... my SE Viking has painted panels. No biggie. If it gets scratched, such is life. I buy my stuff to use, I honestly, after 2.5 yrs of use, my Vike has very few blemishes. I plan on putting some type of rock slider skid plates plus a set of decent A-arm guards.

I won't lift it. Don't need to, and don't want the higher center of gravity. I'll probably put slightly larger skins on it, (28's maybe) but that's about it. I know some guys like to unhook the swaybars.. I'll most likely leave mine hooked.

I will definitely take a look at the alignment though... good tip.

I can tell by the vid posted by jeremiebaker that the Pioneer is FAR more sporty than the Viking. I'm looking for a mix of both, the Vike is just a bit too far on the "work" side for my tastes.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks guys. I definitely want the Fox shocks, front bumper & the other gingerbread stuff. As far as painted panels go... my SE Viking has painted panels. No biggie. If it gets scratched, such is life. I buy my stuff to use, I honestly, after 2.5 yrs of use, my Vike has very few blemishes. I plan on putting some type of rock slider skid plates plus a set of decent A-arm guards.

I won't lift it. Don't need to, and don't want the higher center of gravity. I'll probably put slightly larger skins on it, (28's maybe) but that's about it. I know some guys like to unhook the swaybars.. I'll most likely leave mine hooked.

I will definitely take a look at the alignment though... good tip.

I can tell by the vid posted by jeremiebaker that the Pioneer is FAR more sporty than the Viking. I'm looking for a mix of both, the Vike is just a bit too far on the "work" side for my tastes.
WELL?

Reactions: BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm gonna try to sell my Vike on my own first. I'm not getting what I think it's worth in trade.. we'll see. Put it on Craigslist last night.
:)

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!