Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I could use some instruction on removing and cleaning the air filter.
I'm pretty sure there's a thread here discussing this. But if you pull the seat back and open that cover, you'll see it's pretty simple. Wash it out with Dawn soap, let it dry very well and oil it with a sticky (honey oil) oil. The retaining wedge on the top of the filter in the box is a bit squirrelly, but no big deal.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I will have dragged this out over 4 days putting in a comfortable hour each session to familiarize myself with the procedure. I've done things most won't normally do like scrubbing the filter area so that I can put it back together as clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line. The only things I have left to do are to torque the sump nut to spec, fill with oil and put in the plastic pans underneath the seat.

I expect this will go much quicker next time now that I understand the procedure but I stand by my earlier comment that the filter location access is poorly designed. It discourages proper maintenance IMO.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I will have dragged this out over 4 days putting in a comfortable hour each session to familiarize myself with the procedure. I've done things most won't normally do like scrubbing the filter area so that I can put it back together as clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line. The only things I have left to do are to torque the sump nut to spec, fill with oil and put in the plastic pans underneath the seat.

I expect this will go much quicker next time now that I understand the procedure but I stand by my earlier comment that the filter location access is poorly designed. It discourages proper maintenance IMO.
Agreed, not to mention the little silver dollar filter that you find when you get in there that's obligated to keep four quarts of oil clean. ;)

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Done, run for 20 minutes, no leaks so far. It is dusk here and I just finished. The oil was so clear I had to check the dipstick 4 - 5 times to see the level.

Good for another year.:D

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've got a '15, just turned 2 years old, only has 1 mile on it (that's what was on it when I picked it up at the dealer). o_O
Is it setting in a display case??

Reactions: joeymt33