P500 1st P500(2015) oil change

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I'm going to do my first oil change. I'm going with Honda products just to keep it simple and they are actually competitive on the oil @ $5 and change per quart. The filter was ~$15 but that still isn't too unreasonable and the dealer is on the way to work so it is convenient. I hope to ride on Friday so I didn't want to chance any part errors that involve shipping.

I was surprised at the size of the filter. The Honda OEM filter is a paper cylinder 2" tall by 2 1/2" in diameter. I made the guy double check. I'm going from filterless ATV's to UTV's so I haven't seen these before.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going to do my first oil change. I'm going with Honda products just to keep it simple and they are actually competitive on the oil @ $5 and change per quart. The filter was ~$15 but that still isn't too unreasonable and the dealer is on the way to work so it is convenient. I hope to ride on Friday so I didn't want to chance any part errors that involve shipping.

I was surprised at the size of the filter. The Honda OEM filter is a paper cylinder 2" tall by 2 1/2" in diameter. I made the guy double check. I'm going from filterless ATV's to UTV's so I haven't seen these before.

Yeah, it's dinky. Some don't bother changing it due to it being so small.
I was taught that the filter is the most important part of the service, so I change mine.
Be aware of the little rubber O rings, I didn't have a problem with mine but some have lost or pinched them which causes a leak.
Bolts to take under seat cover off can be super tight as well, just put some ass on them, they'll give.
Good luck bigbore, let us know how it goes.

Reactions: JTW and JollyJoker
mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just did my first one Sunday. At first I thought removing the seat pan would be a pain but it came out easily. The three phillips head screws were tight but a good screw driver removed them without any problems.I put anti seize on them so hopefully they come out easily next time. You will want a long funnel to put the oil in from under the driver side seat. 3.2 quarts filled mine to the perfect level. Good luck.

Reactions: trigger
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm reviewing the sticky in the shop section now. It is definitely worthy of sticky status.

The posts about the aftermarket foam filter lead me to believe they were larger. I guess I'll revisit the aftermarket filter on a slow day AFTER I ride.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'll admit I was one that put a slice in an o-ring on my 1st oil change. :rolleyes:

It was the big o-ring on the cover, and it would only leak after getting warm. Of course, the dealer was out of stock! I now have a couple of both O-rings for spares. Once you have the spares, don't worry, you won't need them. ;) I found that it was better to slightly twist the cover as you are re-installing the cover vs pushing it straight on. Just slowly twist it back and forth as you are pushing it on.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Cut that filter up and see what you find in it :rolleyes:. It's hard to imagine that that little guy is responsible for keeping four quarts of oil clean. I gave up going through the exercise. I thought spin on filters were invented 40 years ago. I just keep clean oil in my machine, and the oil I pull out is used for bar and chain oil.

Reactions: bigbore
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Cut that filter up and see what you find in it :rolleyes:.

Although I probably won't, I actually am curious. I was thinking more like metal shaving in the drain pan or magnetic bolt if it is magnetic from the gear banging during breakin.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Once you have the spares, don't worry, you won't need them. ;) I found that it was better to slightly twist the cover as you are re-installing the cover vs pushing it straight on. Just slowly twist it back and forth as you are pushing it on.

Funny.

I'll try to remember the twisty thing.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Cut that filter up and see what you find in it :rolleyes:. It's hard to imagine that that little guy is responsible for keeping four quarts of oil clean. I gave up going through the exercise. I thought spin on filters were invented 40 years ago. I just keep clean oil in my machine, and the oil I pull out is used for bar and chain oil.

Maybe down the road it would be considered, but first oil change? Gotta change it!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Maybe down the road it would be considered, but first oil change? Gotta change it!
Oh yeah, I agree totally, and I did. Cut mine open too and found nothing. We need @Tflynn to fab us an adapter for that inspection/service plate that would accept a spin on filter. ;)

Reactions: Tflynn and trigger
advertisement
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Oh yeah, I agree totally, and I did.

In defense of that comment, none of my 3 wheelers had filters and 2 of my VW bugs only had a screen - and we know the history of their reliability - so if you keep it clean I doubt it would be the end of the engine. Having said that, I doubt I'll ever run filterless since it is there.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Wait, I just noticed this, you're just now doing the first oil change on a 2015???

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Wait, I just noticed this, you're just now doing the first oil change on a 2015???

Yes, I only have 120 - 130 miles on it. You've seen the videos, 100 - 150 miles round trip to ride. I just can't do local mud holes anymore. If you look at the dates on the vids, 8 - 12 weeks between rides. Got a lot of other things going on too so riding is a small part of my life. My Youtube channel gives a small glimpse into my other pursuits. If you're interested, its all public.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In defense of that comment, none of my 3 wheelers had filters and 2 of my VW bugs only had a screen - and we know the history of their reliability - so if you keep it clean I doubt it would be the end of the engine. Having said that, I doubt I'll ever run filterless since it is there.
Right, my Honda generators have no filters either. And I wasn't suggesting filterless. I replaced mine on the first change and there was nothing in it. What I do now is pull the plug in the evening and let it drain all night, every last drop. Then I plug it and fill it with clean oil the next day, the best researched oil I could find. I also repurpose the old oil for various things, mostly for the chainsaws. This filter really is a joke and I'm satisfied that I'll get the same performance and life out of my machine as those going through the trouble to replace that token filter on schedule, so long as I keep clean oil in it. I've been pulling it at 400 miles when it still looks clean. Obviously everybody makes their own decisions on this, as with most everything else that we discuss here. A spin on oil filter modification would be such an improvement to the P5. My riding mowers have spin ons, what's Honda's issue here?

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
And I wasn't suggesting filterless. I replaced mine on the first change and there was nothing in it.

This filter really is a joke and I'm satisfied that I'll get the same performance and life out of my machine as those going through the trouble to replace that token filter on schedule, so long as I keep clean oil in it. I've been pulling it at 400 miles when it still looks clean. Obviously everybody makes their own decisions on this, as with most everything else that we discuss here. A spin on oil filter modification would be such an improvement to the P5. My riding mowers have spin ons, what's Honda's issue here?

It is a relatively expensive joke. It probably cost $1 to produce and they sell them for $15 but I'll go for because it makes sense to me for the first change for sure.

I'm going to change it this time since it is the first, maybe the second time, and then if it looks good on the second change, I may start skipping it every other time.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It is a relatively expensive joke. It probably cost $1 to produce and they sell them for $15 but I'll go for because it makes sense to me for the first change for sure.

I'm going to change it this time since it is the first, maybe the second time, and then if it looks good on the second change, I may start skipping it every other time.
Sounds like a plan.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I wasn't able to execute my original plan for this weekend. No Thursday oil change and Friday ride.

Today I assembled everything I needed to do the oil change, took off the seat............:eek::(:mad::mad::mad:

Honda, what kind of stupidity is this oil change? It looks like a real bit of work! I had only schedule a couple of hours but between cleaning everything, disassembling, changing, reassembling, filling, I need more time. The C-clip tool and extra clips don't look like such a bad idea either.

Hopefully I'll squeeze in everything next weekend(including a ride) around the holiday, I took off the better part of the week.

J

Jshell3

I felt the same way the 1st time, but now it seems to go quick. I did the oil and filter change a week or so ago, in less than an hour.
Absolutely. I've changed mine. My dads. Mine again.
It's easier when you get your routine down.

J

Jshell3

I could use some instruction on removing and cleaning the air filter.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!