KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
My fuel pump recently gave out my P5 on a ride at Windrock. The replacement has arrived, I am getting prepped to replace it hopefully next week. I have found a few threads here on how to do it. I was hoping for a video but no luck as of yet. Any advice for a complete mechanical novice before I get started? ... or should I just let the dealership install?

Yes, I am aware not to smoke near the gas tank. I'm not a smoker.

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My fuel pump recently gave out my P5 on a ride at Windrock. The replacement has arrived, I am getting prepped to replace it hopefully next week . I have found a few threads here on how to do it. I was hoping for a video but no luck as of yet. Any advice for a complete mechanical novice before I get started? ... or should I just let the dealership install?

A push pin tool and possibly some replacement push pins would be helpful for the effort getting to the tank.

An impact screwdriver (one you tap with a hammer not the power tool) with a proper size JIS bit might come in handy as well.

Take pics as you disassemble and put fasteners in labeled bags or a sort tray. That usually helps things go back together smoothly especially if the process gets interrupted.

I’m sure if you run into questions as you go there are several that would jump on a call with you to help you sort it out. As STGB says…it’s just nuts and bolts. You got this!💪🏻

Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
Not too difficult at all. Had mine out and back in after couple hours without breaking a sweat. Bought a special tool for $20 that is suppose to release the retaining ring? on top but they won't work on the 500 cause it sits too close under the frame. A screw driver and hammer worked ok. Releasing the the connector on line was a PIA, will work.but little patience or the right tool

IMG 1670

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
My fuel pump recently gave out my P5 on a ride at Windrock. The replacement has arrived, I am getting prepped to replace it hopefully next week. I have found a few threads here on how to do it. I was hoping for a video but no luck as of yet. Any advice for a complete mechanical novice before I get started? ... or should I just let the dealership install?

What day are you looking at? I'll try to get there.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@KyGal83 you should be able to download the shop manual as a lifetime member.....I think. @futzin has my new phone number, if you run into any issues give me a call, I can walk you through it

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
@KyGal83 you should be able to download the shop manual as a lifetime member.....I think. @futzin has my new phone number, if you run into any issues give me a call, I can walk you through it
Thank you. I appreciate that very much. Be ready I’m sure I will need to call! 🤣

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
A push pin tool and possibly some replacement push pins would be helpful for the effort getting to the tank.
Ordering thanks!

An impact screwdriver (one you tap with a hammer not the power tool) with a proper size JIS bit might come in handy as well.
Ummm.. What?

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Where do I find the shop manual to download? I used the search function and came up with nothing.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordering thanks!

Ummm.. What?
Impact screwdriver…

I didn’t pay attention to the listing to see if it had JIS or “Phillips” technically I think it’s supposed to be called “Robertson” bits with this particular one but that is the basic tool I was suggesting. JIS “Phillip” bits have more sharp angles on them whereas the Robertson version are more rounded.

If memory serves anyway. I’m sure Mr Go Ogle or someone that cares more than me could get you the absolute correct answer. Just know the Honda fasteners are JIS and will be less likely to strip if you use a JIS bit on them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!