Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
How we got our start with what we do.

I was talking to a member yesterday about some of this and it made me realize how important this was to us and many who still ride with us now.
It all stated back in 2004 with me buying an old kx200 kawi. My close friend at the time had talked me into buying this 500$ bike and go riding with him on occasion. After 2 accidents and 2 near misses on my Honda 600 CBR street bike I sold it but was still leery but he was convincing.
I feel in love! No laws to follow,no on coming traffic, if you got hurt it was your own fault. There's still no feeling in the world like it to me. Just you and a throttle all you problems fall away,your only thoughts are rock,rut,stump always searching for that great path through the woods. We never rode track always the woods, the rougher the better!
After about 6mnts of riding with my friend (who was damn good!) my shop burned down with my bike. Like with everything I researched bikes hard and...bough a new Honda. 05 crf250x to be exact. Woods bike of the year for many years. Couldn't believe how much I loved it(still do 15500 miles and about 2x power and suspension later) and decided to get the family into it because I wasn't going to leave them behind.
Started with China bikes for my boys they took directly to it. This bikes sucked! Got Honda's and off we went! One day my wife (who "wasn't ever going to ride a death trap") asked to ride mine. She's tall but the x was the tallest bike out there so I was worried. As I'm explaining how to ride it she took off. Came back with the biggest grin I'd ever seen. She's a very tough woman now she can outride most of my guy friends (not to mention out drive,out shoot and generally out do most) but wasn't then. Directly following that for our anniversary I brought it up to the woods prior and as we were later riding around we came across this brand new 07 crf230f just sitting there. I've not been able to beat that present ever! She still has it 13000 miles later. For those who don't know that's a TON of miles on a bike! I can say for near certainty we have some of the highest mileage bikes(without being street that is) on ours.
As we started going more it became camping then camping more till the point it was 20 + weekends a year. People started following us, then more and more. Most that showed up didn't have something to ride so we slowly bought bike after bike. We'd not sell them nor sell gear off. We sold our more expensive cars and downgraded, sold everything we had and bought a smaller house with property to build a track, bought more bikes and gear, built a 40ft school bus into a toy hauler(it could hold 9 bikes inside but soon had to get a trailer because that wasn't enough)
The whole time my family was by my side building this or fixing that. At times we'd buy multiple bikes for one and did some wild crap. There were only 5 in my family but on some weekends we'd have a dozen machines going. Any of us would tear there bike apart so someone else could ride. Over the years I've taught 20+ 2-6yo how to ride and is one of my favorite things still today.
Things over the years changed to a degree with the addition of 4 wheels but I'd like to just show this beginning side of my family and all my friends who put their heart into this. Many hours to build what we all referred to as the clan. It's built strong children, great relationships, good values but best of all a chance for us all to enjoy life. It hasn't been easy and the sacrifices I can't explain. We put 1/2 of what we make into this and everyone helps. I'm so proud of my family and friends for believing in me and each other, for giving up many things and always being there for each other, so this is really a story about that.

Finally got my new phone and waiting on pictures to back up but I haven't talked much about where we came from but I guess I've shared everything else so I might as well share this as it's as important as a build on the 1000 to me actually more so because it's my family's build. How to turn cement walkers into a country lovn hicks? Give them dirt,mud,trees,some space,motors (Honda if you truly care),guns and most importantly each other.

Last edited:
J

JTW

How we got our start with what we do.

I was talking to a member yesterday about some of this and it made me realize how important this was to us and many who still ride with us now.
It all stated back in 2004 with me buying an old kx200 kawi. My close friend at the time had talked me into buying this 500$ bike and go riding with him on occasion. After 2 accidents and 2 near misses on my Honda 600 CBR street bike I sold it but was still leery but he was convincing.
I feel in love! No laws to follow,no on coming traffic, if you got hurt it was your own fault. There's still no feeling in the world like it to me. Just you and a throttle all you problems fall away,your only thoughts are rock,rut,stump always searching for that great path through the woods. We never rode track always the woods, the rougher the better!
After about 6mnts of riding with my friend (who was damn good!) my shop burned down with my bike. Like with everything I researched bikes hard and...bough a new Honda. 05 crf250x to be exact. Woods bike of the year for many years. Couldn't believe how much I loved it(still do 15500 miles and about 2x power and suspension later) and decided to get the family into it because I wasn't going to leave them behind.
Started with China bikes for my boys they took directly to it. This bikes sucked! Got Honda's and off we went! One day my wife (who "wasn't ever going to ride a death trap") asked to ride mine. She's tall but the x was the tallest bike out there so I was worried. As I'm explaining how to ride it she took off. Came back with the biggest grin I'd ever seen. She's a very tough woman now she can outride most of my guy friends (not to mention out drive,out shoot and generally out do most) but wasn't then. Directly following that for our anniversary I brought it up to the woods prior and as we were later riding around we came across this brand new 07 crf230f just sitting there. I've not been able to beat that present ever! She still has it 13000 miles later. For those who don't know that's a TON of miles on a bike! I can say for near certainty we have some of the highest mileage bikes(without being street that is) on ours.
As we started going more it became camping then camping more till the point it was 20 + weekends a year. People started following us, then more and more. Most that showed up didn't have something to ride so we slowly bought bike after bike. We'd not sell them nor sell gear off. We sold our more expensive cars and downgraded, sold everything we had and bought a smaller house with property to build a track, bought more bikes and gear, built a 40ft school bus into a toy hauler(it could hold 9 bikes inside but soon had to get a trailer because that wasn't enough)
The whole time my family was by my side building this or fixing that. At times we'd buy multiple bikes for one and did some wild crap. There were only 5 in my family but on some weekends we'd have a dozen machines going. Any of us would tear there bike apart so someone else could ride. Over the years I've taught 20+ 2-6yo how to ride and is one of my favorite things still today.
Things over the years changed to a degree with the addition of 4 wheels but I'd like to just show this beginning side of my family and all my friends who put their heart into this. Many hours to build what we all referred to as the clan. It's built strong children, great relationships, good values but best of all a chance for us all to enjoy life. It hasn't been easy and the sacrifices I can't explain. We put 1/2 of what we make into this and everyone helps. I'm so proud of my family and friends for believing in me and each other, for giving up many things and always being there for each other, so this is really a story about that.

Finally got my new phone and waiting on pictures to back up but I haven't talked much about where we came from but I guess I've shared everything else so I might as well share this as it's as important as a build on the 1000 to me actually more so because it's my family's build. How to turn cement walkers into a country lovn hicks? Give them dirt,mud,trees,some space,motors (Honda if you truly care),guns and most importantly each other.
Love it!! My dad and I did this only with 4 legs... it's why I'm making the switch to a 1000 after seeing the girls like it so much! To hell with soccer, cheerleading, swimming, golf and all that other crap parents put their kids in and run around taking them to, all while not spending that time with them!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Love it!! My dad and I did this only with 4 legs... it's why I'm making the switch to a 1000 after seeing the girls like it so much! To hell with soccer, cheerleading, swimming, golf and all that other crap parents put their kids in and run around taking them to, all while not spending that time with them!
We always gave the kids the choice of sports or camping with family and friends. They always choose camping, which is great because we didn't have to miss time with everyone. One kid didn't get more attention because he was better at football. Every holiday,birthday and special occasion is celebrated in the woods. The kids always helped each other and taught each other.
It was hard at first to get out of the rest of our family important stuff but they soon learned to live with it and actually embrace it. Started showing up when they could. We learned early on if we stayed behind for everything you're "supposed " to do we didn't wind up going ever. My immediate family is more important. I know that seems weird for most but it just should be that way. We're very close because of this belief, none of us have regrets about it. We don't really split up and ride without each other. My kids don't often go elsewhere on weekends or want to be with their friends instead, they aren't embarrassed by us. They'll bring their friends and we'll all ride and hang out. When we hang out with friends or family that don't go it's during the week.

J

JTW

We always gave the kids the choice of sports or camping with family and friends. They always choose camping, which is great because we didn't have to miss time with everyone. One kid didn't get more attention because he was better at football. Every holiday,birthday and special occasion is celebrated in the woods. The kids always helped each other and taught each other.
It was hard at first to get out of the rest of our family important stuff but they soon learned to live with it and actually embrace it. Started showing up when they could. We learned early on if we stayed behind for everything you're "supposed " to do we didn't wind up going ever. My immediate family is more important. I know that seems weird for most but it just should be that way. We're very close because of this belief, none of us have regrets about it. We don't really split up and ride without each other. My kids don't often go elsewhere on weekends or want to be with their friends instead, they aren't embarrassed by us. They'll bring their friends and we'll all ride and hang out. When we hang out with friends or family that don't go it's during the week.
It was usually just me and my dad.. He always gave me the choice.. and honestly I felt a little guilty choosing anything but riding, however I'm certainly glad I chose the time with him!
Mom eventually got into it more.. but she had a bad car wreak when I was a kid and riding horses sometimes bothered her. We always had our group of friends that were more like family. It's hard for me now with my work typically being more busy in the summers and on weekends.. but we'll figure it out!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing @CumminsPusher . Our family has the same priorities, sharing experiences and spending time with each other doing outdoor activities. Our kids are a lot older than yours but they still ask to go camping or fishing or hunting. We have camped with them ever sense they were in diapers. ;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The 1000 is a great start! You're a strong willed guy like me but sometimes you have to ask for suggestions and help. Once you do the wife and kids really come around! My family trusts me when I put my foot down but I only do it when I have too. If everyone is going to be included it needs to at least have input from all. I don't leave my family behind often and include them in everything. If I'm driving and it's just my family I'll drive as hard as me and a buddy and I trust them to do it. But that comes with years of riding bar to bar with each other. Dirt bikes are a great start it takes trust and respect.
When you get out you need to share some things. Some are better at certain things so that needs to be applauded so it continues.
Jtw your young and so is your family. You've got lots of time left but it goes quickly. You're head of household so it's your responsibility to lead and I know you do. I can't wait to see some of the videos you'll share.
If there's anything I can say that I did right it was leaving the expensive house and city life for a chance at some happiness with my kids. We still live in the city but it's to afford real life on the weekends. I didn't have a father growing up because he was always concerned about the damn house. Not me.
You see family riding with you in the future and that's why the 500 is gone for a family sxs. I respect the s*** out of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for sharing @CumminsPusher . Our family has the same priorities, sharing experiences and spending time with each other doing outdoor activities. Our kids are a lot older than yours but they still ask to go camping or fishing or hunting. We have camped with them ever sense they were in diapers. ;)

I wouldn't say a lot older my kids are 22,18,then 11.
I know you're like that and we have a lot in common we discovered that recently. I guess that's why we both do what we do.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
90c8549913d1962bb76f83e0dce0992655d5743bed68e635892681b07bef67cf097b84451607cf39ce25cbf843dd5a68631ac9a2afa01aaee207722a31b4ad10F90ee0a269de44d4d63d35b86855616245c364e3c1e9a85e47f6f3903bb20e470569cdbac60e158b6e913a092fe6036881700c2083f79bdb28d9b671dc1799622b9ff07ada0ef911368e65af0e82cf37D672945ec96cf181a241ebe7d34983fc62ddf101e771b60ce9ed9c9f6e98a54c7a947833ff09a7eb7210a81f1aca533b12099122f0bf9c83db11c1b09d4a58fd
Most of these are recent pics that weren't showed with a couple favorites.

J

JTW

The 1000 is a great start! You're a strong willed guy like me but sometimes you have to ask for suggestions and help. Once you do the wife and kids really come around! My family trusts me when I put my foot down but I only do it when I have too. If everyone is going to be included it needs to at least have input from all. I don't leave my family behind often and include them in everything. If I'm driving and it's just my family I'll drive as hard as me and a buddy and I trust them to do it. But that comes with years of riding bar to bar with each other. Dirt bikes are a great start it takes trust and respect.
When you get out you need to share some things. Some are better at certain things so that needs to be applauded so it continues.
Jtw your young and so is your family. You've got lots of time left but it goes quickly. You're head of household so it's your responsibility to lead and I know you do. I can't wait to see some of the videos you'll share.
If there's anything I can say that I did right it was leaving the expensive house and city life for a chance at some happiness with my kids. We still live in the city but it's to afford real life on the weekends. I didn't have a father growing up because he was always concerned about the damn house. Not me.
You see family riding with you in the future and that's why the 500 is gone for a family sxs. I respect the s*** out of that!

That's good advice and well received!!

advertisement
J

JTW

Hope that didn't come out poorly but it's definitely what I learned!

No, I get it.. I think most of us here can relate. I've always found it much easier to listen and learn from those who've gone before me! I may not always go that route but if it's good advice I will. Honestly, It really hadn't crossed my mind too much.. I know what I'm getting and I took the girls to the dealer couple weeks ago and let them sit in one. The 8 year old (she's actually a step daughter) liked having her own seat. I asked her if she'd rather do 4 wheeling and camping than all that other crap.. she seemed excited about, so I went with it. Momma (of course) said I thought we should get one for everybody when you bought the little one.. (Really?? I asked her opinion and got.. "oh I don't know get whatever you want"... now she's all about it.) I have a tendency to focus on projects and just get them done... they came out and sat a little while I worked on the 500 but I mostly did it late and thru the nights... I'll make a better effort to include them on this build... (granted I'm not rushing to get it ready for the take over if I get a 17) Also, I think our takeover trip sparked a lot of interst in the wife.. she grew up with 3 older brothers so she's much like you described yours... only mines not tall! Lol..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@JTW it sounds like it's on! You had some good memories from going out with your old man and it sounds like you're about to share that experience and your wife is behind you. I'm excited to see how this plays out. I wish you good times my friend. You're sure a complicated guy you know that?you can be an ass hole (I secretly like that because I'm that way) but you've got a good heart man. I can tell you're there for your family and that's awesome. I wish more younger families were looking to do what you're doing. Kudos

J

JTW

@JTW it sounds like it's on! You had some good memories from going out with your old man and it sounds like you're about to share that experience and your wife is behind you. I'm excited to see how this plays out. I wish you good times my friend. You're sure a complicated guy you know that?you can be an ass hole (I secretly like that because I'm that way) but you've got a good heart man. I can tell you're there for your family and that's awesome. I wish more younger families were looking to do what you're doing. Kudos

Bhahaha... That pretty accurate! Some just don't get my humor.. I grew up in horse camp with the old guys getting away from their wives.. my dad was a cop for 35 years. We always had his officers around the house. I'm of the breed that gives s*** to those I like and have little to do with those I don't. They just don't f*cking exist to me. People that don't know me and my group of friends don't understand.. people honestly think we hate each other. I mean we do but it's a love hate relationship... my wife is cut from the same cloth. WE are going to have a hell of a time come April!!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Bhahaha... That pretty accurate! Some just don't get my humor.. I grew up in horse camp with the old guys getting away from their wives.. my dad was a cop for 35 years. We always had his officers around the house. I'm of the breed that gives s*** to those I like and have little to do with those I don't. They just don't f*cking exist to me. People that don't know me and my group of friends don't understand.. people honestly think we hate each other. I mean we do but it's a love hate relationship... my wife is cut from the same cloth. WE are going to have a hell of a time come April!!!
I said originally that you'll probably be a lot of fun to hang out with and I'd love to meet the woman that puts up with you...or possibly the woman you put up with lol. It's going to be fun!
After a couple of beers my ol lady might b**** slap some of what you say but don't hold back just take it like I do. She fights back too I think we'll all have a great time! Excited to see your 1000

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!