P500 2 yrs not started, outdoors, uncovered, help!

B

Brydade

Mar 10, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you everyone for your welcomes and advice. Yes, I just bought and picked up tonight. I am 58 years old and always wanted one of these. I jumped right into it and disassembled as much as I could with help from the owner’s manual and you tube.
Acorns and squirrel nets everywhere 4 metal buckets of chewed acorns, dirt and nests. I posted pictures, tomorrow I will pump out gas and buy a new battery. I ordered oil change kit ordered from Amazon fuel filter, plug, and oil change kit.

IMG 3683 IMG 3684 IMG 3685 IMG 3686 IMG 3687 IMG 3688 IMG 3689 IMG 3690 IMG 3691 IMG 3692 IMG 3693 IMG 3694 IMG 3697 IMG 3698 IMG 3699 IMG 3700 IMG 3701 IMG 3702 IMG 3703 IMG 3705 IMG 3706 IMG 3707

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thank you everyone for your welcomes and advice. Yes, I just bought and picked up tonight. I am 58 years old and always wanted one of these. I jumped right into it and disassembled as much as I could with help from the owner’s manual and you tube.
Acorns and squirrel nets everywhere 4 metal buckets of chewed acorns, dirt and nests. I posted pictures, tomorrow I will pump out gas and buy a new battery. I ordered oil change kit ordered from Amazon fuel filter, plug, and oil change kit.

View attachment 260144 View attachment 260146 View attachment 260147 View attachment 260148 View attachment 260149 View attachment 260150 View attachment 260151 View attachment 260152 View attachment 260153 View attachment 260154 View attachment 260155 View attachment 260156 View attachment 260157 View attachment 260158 View attachment 260159 View attachment 260160 View attachment 260161 View attachment 260162 View attachment 260163 View attachment 260164 View attachment 260165 View attachment 260166
You will be lucky if you have no chewed wires. Good luck

advertisement
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I'm always amazed when people let 'money' like that just sit and rot away. Gotta be a backstory of some sort. I've worked way too hard for my money for it to look like that. Thankfully it's a Honda and with some maintenance rescuing you'll have a score there....

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah pretty sad how some people treat their machines. My wife has a friend that was in a relationship with some older guy that felt the need to buy her love. One of the things he bought her was a brand new red P5 outfitted with a winch, plow, full cab enclosure...it's been kept outside in the elements for about 3 yrs now. She's told us how she's flopped it doing donuts and sh**. Got a call from her a few months ago that she "burned up the transmission". She was moving stuff from one house to another, towing a fully loaded trailer on city backstreets and the machine wouldn't shift. Told her "no you didn't, it's a Honda". Directed her to pop the seat and grab the shift tool under there. Without looking she said there was no tool under there, "it's there". Instructed her how to manually shift the clutch, sure enough it worked and haven't heard from her since. I'd bet the bank it's never had an oil change or the air filter checked, she got it for free and just doesn't care.
Told the wife when she got it that I'd end up with that machine someday and probably for a song. Of course I'll help her in any way I can but there'll come a point when it'll be beyond just maintenance and I know she won't take it to a dealer. Being a Honda, and especially this model, it'll probably be years before it finally gives in to the abuse and neglect. Just sad.

Irish-Mike

Irish-Mike

Feb 3, 2020
S. Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah pretty sad how some people treat their machines. My wife has a friend that was in a relationship with some older guy that felt the need to buy her love. One of the things he bought her was a brand new red P5 outfitted with a winch, plow, full cab enclosure...it's been kept outside in the elements for about 3 yrs now. She's told us how she's flopped it doing donuts and sh**. Got a call from her a few months ago that she "burned up the transmission". She was moving stuff from one house to another, towing a fully loaded trailer on city backstreets and the machine wouldn't shift. Told her "no you didn't, it's a Honda". Directed her to pop the seat and grab the shift tool under there. Without looking she said there was no tool under there, "it's there". Instructed her how to manually shift the clutch, sure enough it worked and haven't heard from her since. I'd bet the bank it's never had an oil change or the air filter checked, she got it for free and just doesn't care.
Told the wife when she got it that I'd end up with that machine someday and probably for a song. Of course I'll help her in any way I can but there'll come a point when it'll be beyond just maintenance and I know she won't take it to a dealer. Being a Honda, and especially this model, it'll probably be years before it finally gives in to the abuse and neglect. Just sad.
It probably just needs some nerf bars. 😀

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wimminz are mechanical dunderheads. Every single woman I know, her car is a trashed out, unmaintained piece of crap.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wimminz are mechanical dunderheads. Every single woman I know, her car is a trashed out, unmaintained piece of crap.
I know a few that take care very good care of there cars, my wife is one of them, she even has a cordless air compressor in her car and knows how to use it. She's really not mechanical at all, she just doesn't to be stranded some where.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
For what it is worth, I would remove the gas tank and clean it (either replace the gas line or blow it out). The reason is, once you hit the start any debris in the line/tank will immediately be in the injector and I would just avoid that issue upfront vs. potentially fighting through that on the back in...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!