P500 2 yrs not started, outdoors, uncovered, help!

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
What kind of forum is this?
It's a Honda turn key fire it up back it off the trailer and enjoy.

Oh wait I think you better take all the good advice that has been given enjoy your new project. LOL

LightFamily

LightFamily

Feb 8, 2021
Lebanon,PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would also replace the air filter and clean out air box more than likely there I something living in it. Also drain fuel tank gas with ethanol in it will turn green and clog injectors after only sitting for a year. Also fuel filter change

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Several members above suggested removing slpark plugs and turning the engine over. One also suggested fogging the engine. Old guys like me would remove the plugs as suggested but pour a tablespoon full of clean motor oil into each cylinder then hit the starter.

As the engine turns over the oil on top of the pistons will lube cylinder walls and piston rings as it rotates not under compression. The oil will be forced out of the exhaust valve. After several rotations reinstall the plugs, add fresh fuel, inspect the air filter and make sure it's not full of rat's nests, and see if it will start.

Photos please.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Change all fluids and filters. When you winterize an engine you usually fog the cylinders with oil. Makes sense to pull the spark plugs and squirt some oil in each cylinder. Put back in the plugs but don't connect them. Crank it for a few seconds. Drain all the old fuel and put a super strong mix of fuel system cleaner in it with some gas. Once you start it just let it idle. Do not rev the engine. Run it for 20-30 seconds. Turn it off and wait about 15 minutes to give the oil a chance to seep back into everything. Start it again and run it for 5 or 10 minutes to get the fuel system cleaner throughout. Let it sit a couple of hours to give the fuel system cleaner a while to work. Don't rev the engine for the first 10 or 15 minutes. Drive it slow and don't put any more fuel in it to dilute the fuel system cleaner. Let it sit a time or two in order to let the fuel system cleaner work.

B

Bigjim

Jun 28, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2016 P500 left on trailer for two years, outdoors, uncovered, 90 hours on it. Planning on replacing fluids and battery. Any other suggestions?
Don’t let any machine sit for a year and expect not to have a problem. Start them once in a while and let run for 15 - 20 minute

• Haha
Reactions: rtn001 and TripleB
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club from Central Florida. You've come to the right place for help. This bunch of people can get you going if anyone can. The only bad information you will get by some is which color is fastest. Unfortunately for you red is not the fastest. Everyone knows it's green. With all the information given above my only additional to it would be to check all the wires really close and if you haven't yet, go online and buy a Honda service manual. It will be worth every penny you pay for it. Good Luck!

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club from Central Florida. You've come to the right place for help. This bunch of people can get you going if anyone can. The only bad information you will get by some is which color is fastest. Unfortunately for you red is not the fastest. Everyone knows it's green. With all the information given above my only additional to it would be to check all the wires really close and if you haven't yet, go online and buy a Honda service manual. It will be worth every penny you pay for it. Good Luck!

I agree with all that except for buying the service manual. Some have stated that they're about $100. I would suggest becoming a lifetime member here and downloading it for free. Cheaper than buying the manual and you'll forever get the knowledge of this forum. Much more bang for your buck.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I agree with all that except for buying the service manual. Some have stated that they're about $100. I would suggest becoming a lifetime member here and downloading it for free. Cheaper than buying the manual and you'll forever get the knowledge of this forum. Much more bang for your buck.
Curious, and not to argue, I think I paid less than $30 for my Talon manual from the dealer and it's almost 1-1/2" thick. My point - do a price check to make sure. I prefer a paper copy I can mark up with Post-Its.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Curious, and not to argue, I think I paid less than $30 for my Talon manual from the dealer and it's almost 1-1/2" thick. My point - do a price check to make sure. I prefer a paper copy I can mark up with Post-Its.

Maybe, I never looked for one myself. Someone chimed in a couple years ago that they bought one online for a P5 and it was like $100. As for paper copy, you can print it off? And if you ever trash it you have an electronic backup.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I wasn't aware of the price increase. I agree with you 100 percent. That's a better option than buying the manual anyway.

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
I think I gave about about $35 for my manual. I have yet to need it. Always someone here to help you out or spend your money. ;)

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm gonna go on a little rant here lol. U do not drain cold oil unless it's been contaminated by water or gas. All the foreign material is just sitting at bottom of engine it will not drain. u want it suspended in the oil by letting it run. I've rebuilt everything from 700hp pulling motors to jr50 engines. u don't need to let oil seep into anything if oil pump isn't doing its job bad s*** happens within a few seconds. If u come into my garage and say u need to shut it off and let the oil seep into stuff u will be made to go sit on the kids swing set and think about what u said lmao.

A

Azeagleye

Jul 4, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Definitely drain the fuel tank - assume no stabilizer was used before hung out to dry, most likely plenty of moisture in it. I'd change out oil filter and air filter and fuel filter now that i think about it. Two years idle definitely brings tears. Should have pulled battery and put on a tender. Also remove spark plug and then crank to get new oil moving otherwise you'll have metal on metal.

Reactions: rtn001

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!