20,200 miles

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Signed up here awhile back just to look around, thought I might tell a bit about my experience with 16 1000-5 deluxe. I’m now at 20200 miles, I don’t trail ride or mud ride, tho I often do drive thru mud on the farm. Other than my own neglect, It’s been bullet proof. Always seem to be in a hurry so on multiple occasions before I stopped completely I’d shoot for neutral and find reverse. I stripped the reverse gear around 5000 miles, had it rebuilt,but stripped it out again shortly after so for the last 15000 or so miles I’ve drove it without reverse.I replaced brake pads at 16k,rear bearings at 18k starter motor at 19k. Now the shifter cable is broken so it stays in high full time, driver side of seat is worn out , floor board is shattered ,step rails are gone, driver door gone, needs replaced or maybe bushings, on 3rd set of tires. I ve never opened the air filter box,not once,only changed the oil four times, but it’s still running as good as when new. I no my maintinance schedule is harsh, but that’s why I only buy Honda’s, they are the best on earth. I run it 7 days a week, I’m going to try and upload pics of it and it’s new replacement. What if anything I wanted to show was that riding on gravel, the rocks have eaten the step rails completely away, I have some cheap mud guards ordered to put on new sxs For protection of side step rails. Zoom in on pics so you get an idea

C93E288D A11A 45ED 91D9 142366F26C94 DC8BE101 EAED 4B9A 92DB 51319E4B5D87 E3DFA0F7 6674 4FDA 88B7 332CFCB57B99

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the best place on earth! You will find more knowledgeable than wealth here! We hope you can enjoy your new ride more than your old!

On a side note, is your old one for sale and cheap?

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the best place on earth! You will find more knowledgeable than wealth here! We hope you can enjoy your new ride more than your old!

Thanks, yes , cheap, lol I looked up parts would take around 3k to make repairs, parts only. Got a neighbor wanting it so really not posting forsale here, did post it on cl for kicks, haven’t had a reply tho, plus I still driving daily, hurts to get new one dirty. Drove to Fort Worth to to get in it sat 8/13/22

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a thread where your side tubes are discussed. They can be reinforced,or most skid plates extend out to protect them.

I can't tell from the pics, are yours rusted away or actually beaten to shreds by rocks?

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a thread where your side tubes are discussed. They can be reinforced,or most skid plates extend out to protect them.

I can't tell from the pics, are yours rusted away or actually beaten to shreds by rocks?

Eat away by gravel, guess once it got started rusting helped it along to,not sliding over rocks

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I realize a full skid plate would protect it, but my only damage is on the edges, just the tube frames on the outside, everything else is undamaged other than scratching
One like the trail armor sticks past it about 1/2 an inch.
Others run L channel down the sides as well.
Helps us rock crawlers from beating up the super thin metal.

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Word to the wise, this seems to be weakest link on machine, but then you can get replacement both sides from Honda for 400 each, not really much if you consider cost of one or two accessories . I have ordered a pr of universal mud flaps that I will attach on new one, for what I use it for I think, hope, that’s all I will need??? Fingers crossed, also going to get a bed mat, my rear area gets totally filled up with dirt, feed,seed under bed rear seat area

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Wow! Thats awsome! Your right there with @hondabob with miles.
like that blue color on your new one. Hope you can beat your old rigs longevity With this one 👍

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
also going to get a bed mat, my rear area gets totally filled up with dirt, feed,seed under bed rear seat area
I highly recommend the bed liner. For what your doing its alot better than the bed mat. Ive had one on my 16’ since it was fairly new. Takes a beating and nothing under does. Easier to clean out also.

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That’s a good read, thanks for help, thinking if I could take time an strip plastic off I could fab something up, maybe when it cools down been a hot summer over here

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!