20 hour review from Louisiana

O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
So I've finally hit the 20 hour mark and had a chance to take the pioneer to the hunting lease in Ms. to put her through a tryout. First thing that must be said is that I'm not a mudder, rock climber, or wide open throttle kinda guy....I'm on the conservative side of the isle., so I wasn't after speed, power, nor do I want to see if I can swim the Mississippi River with it. That said, I also want something that will get my kids and I to the hunting location and BACK, hence my choice for a Honda. Previous SxS models I've driven and have experience with are the Polaris 800, Polaris crew, Kawasaki mule, John deer gator (several models), and yamaha rhino. As a state wildlife biologist, I have had experience driving various SxS models over the years in many conditions. This was my money, so I bought what I thought would be best for ME.

Bottom line is this; the 700-4 is everything I need. She's quiet if I want her to be (a LOT quieter than all of the above mentioned models). I'm able to slip in almost unnoticed by wildlife at around 12 mph on flat ground if I'm easy on the throttle. I thought that I may have some issues with her climbing ability on the steeper dirt slopes, especially the washed-out ones. Turned out I was dead wrong. With 4 adult passengers, the 700-4 made it up our steepest washed out roads in 2wd. And as it turned out, I only had to give her about 1/3 throttle.....I was very surprised at the torque, especially reading about how some complained about lack of a lower gear. Actually, the only time I put it in 4wd the entire weekend was to jump a mature downed pine tree that was blocking the road......just to see if I could. I have the RMP skid plates, and the pioneer just slid right over. I did bottom her out on a few washouts in the road, but again, as long as the tires had contact with the dirt, she slid right along on her belly plate. I never have topped her out: my top speed was 36mph on flat ground.....I didn't want to push her before break in was over.

I have the full roof, and it does get loud towards top speed.......wish there was a 4th gear in there so I could cruise at 35 without the rpm........but, I can cruise at 25 pretty comfortable. I added a big sky overhead gun rack.....it held better than I expected with a couple of benjamin pellet rifles in it (kids had to take them). I bought a soft windshield and just rolled it up and tie wrapped it to the roll bar.....I only need one when its raining or cold. It's just too hot most of the year down south for a hard windshield, and the soft ones are only 40 bucks. I added a lightbar and put in a switch panel. If you're considering this.....do it. The difference is amazing.

One complaint Honda; why is this thing so damn tall? If I put bigger tires on her, she wouldn't fit in my 2 car garage! Really? Although......my guns are nice and out of the way above my head...........always a silver lining I suppose.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and a part of me wishes I would have waited for the 1000, but for the price, in my opinion, you simply can't go wrong with this unit. I've driven many different types of sxs......Some are faster, some are more comfortable to ride in, some have more power. Only one thing wrong with all of those others; none are made by Honda.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Good review, thanks for sharing.

Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
Hey thanks for sharing. +1 on the height. I was also afraid of hitting my garage door when driving it in. I think I maybe able to fit some 27s and clear the garage. Will drive in aired down if needed.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey thanks for sharing. +1 on the height. I was also afraid of hitting my garage door when driving it in. I think I maybe able to fit some 27s and clear the garage. Will drive in aired down if needed.
Nice review!

Reactions: Swampcollie
jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for sharing. We have about 10hrs on our 700-4 deluxe and loving it as well.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Excellent review! I have the same thoughts about mine!

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ed, I'm in the same boat as you. I enjoy just being on the trails and out in nature. Although hitting some mud is always fun, I'm not a rock crawler, speed demon or submarine captain. I bought my 700-4 about 3 weeks ago and have the same opinion. I knew it would lack some power and not be an ambitious machine, but I could take the whole family out for the day and that's what I was looking for. Well .... this machine surprised me!!! I started pushing it a little to see what is WAS capable of and I am quite impressed. My machine is stock with a roof and 3k# winch (which as of now, I haven't used); reasonable water crossings, np. Loose mud, np. reasonable gloppy mud, np. Logs and reasonable rocks, np. Shoving through a narrow quad path when needed, np. Accidental swimming lesson, np (whew).

For the money, I couldn't be happier.

And kudos to this forum and it's members for being so helpful and friendly. And after reading many posts with pictures, I seriously think I have the filthiest machine out there. Seriously people ... do you guys all spend hours washing and waxing them? :)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ed, I'm in the same boat as you. I enjoy just being on the trails and out in nature. Although hitting some mud is always fun, I'm not a rock crawler, speed demon or submarine captain. I bought my 700-4 about 3 weeks ago and have the same opinion. I knew it would lack some power and not be an ambitious machine, but I could take the whole family out for the day and that's what I was looking for. Well .... this machine surprised me!!! I started pushing it a little to see what is WAS capable of and I am quite impressed. My machine is stock with a roof and 3k# winch (which as of now, I haven't used); reasonable water crossings, np. Loose mud, np. reasonable gloppy mud, np. Logs and reasonable rocks, np. Shoving through a narrow quad path when needed, np. Accidental swimming lesson, np (whew).

For the money, I couldn't be happier.

And kudos to this forum and it's members for being so helpful and friendly. And after reading many posts with pictures, I seriously think I have the filthiest machine out there. Seriously people ... do you guys all spend hours washing and waxing them? :)
Just Pward

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
... what am I missing here?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the review Joe.
Where ya from in Louisiana? I live up north now, East of Monroe.

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Me? I'm in PA. I was just chiming in on Ed's post.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!