P700 2014 700-4 buying question

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My buddy is looking at a 2014 700-4. Buying from a private party. I only am familiar with the 1000-5. Is there anything he should be aware of with these things? I know that's an early edition and a lot of times there's some quirks people hate about them. Any advice for me to pass onto him?
It has 1100 miles on it. 326 hours. Camo. Guy is asking $8500.
Thanks in advance for any feedback

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
My buddy is looking at a 2014 700-4. Buying from a private party. I only am familiar with the 1000-5. Is there anything he should be aware of with these things? I know that's an early edition and a lot of times there's some quirks people hate about them. Any advice for me to pass onto him?
It has 1100 miles on it. 326 hours. Camo. Guy is asking $8500.
Thanks in advance for any feedback

I would check the air filter and box, make sure they’re clean. Check oil and diff levels. Check any maintenance records. Look machine over for signs of abuse. Take it for a test drive.

Last edited:
N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. Yeah I did just check my local dealer and a '19 is $9999 right now for the non deluxe model. I don't even know if deluxe was an option in '14 or not for the 700.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have your friend drive your machine with the EPS disocnnected. Then ask him if he really wants a machine without it.
Look around FB Marketplace for used ones. I have seen a decent amount of them in Michigan.

Reactions: noisewater
N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have your friend drive your machine with the EPS disocnnected. Then ask him if he really wants a machine without it.
Look around FB Marketplace for used ones. I have seen a decent amount of them in Michigan.
Thanks. This is the info I'm looking for. I read the specs on the 14s and I miss things like that. Maybe I'll tell him to stay away from it. What year did they start having EPS on them?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. This is the info I'm looking for. I read the specs on the 14s and I miss things like that. Maybe I'll tell him to stay away from it. What year did they start having EPS on them?
I really do not know. The 14 may have it installed. I know of a few 14's kicking around my area without. So it is just a thought.

Reactions: noisewater
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
8500 is not crazy. But 7500 would be what I think.
If it's in excellent shape then it will bring 8 grand.1100 miles is like new. Accessarys are not cheap. 2014 did not have power steering.
Go take a look at it and post what you find. We will pick through it. Also take it for a ride to see how it shifts.

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement
W

woodwelder

Oct 22, 2018
freedom
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not to steal this thread but, The year interested me. I have a 6 week old 2017 700 deluxe. While looking it over (on a daily basis it seems waiting for the trails to freeze over in Wisconsin, a concern came up for me. With all the exposed electrical connections these machines have, is there a problem with corrosion of the wires over time. I see few people mention or buy 2014 and 2015 machines. It concerns me that water will sit in all the connections and harnesses (especially when pressure washers are in use)
and cause corrosion. It must do damage over time.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will add to the convo, eps can be purchased and installed if the machine is clean and your friend falls in love. I think they hover around $500.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to steal this thread but, The year interested me. I have a 6 week old 2017 700 deluxe. While looking it over (on a daily basis it seems waiting for the trails to freeze over in Wisconsin, a concern came up for me. With all the exposed electrical connections these machines have, is there a problem with corrosion of the wires over time. I see few people mention or buy 2014 and 2015 machines. It concerns me that water will sit in all the connections and harnesses (especially when pressure washers are in use)
and cause corrosion. It must do damage over time.
I am fairly confident every connection on your machine is sealed, with the exception of grounds, and battery.

Here is a connector off my machine, the wire has a seal where it enters the plug, and you can see the red seal where it seals on the mating half.

IMG 20190107 2010478

Reactions: swsebek and Mudwing
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Over time you can clean the reddish seal with a toothbrush. And apply some dielectric grease on it and inside to the connectors.
But if you go deep water and mud riding and connectors are covered and submerged all the time, I would check on them on the regular for kicks.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The 2014 has softer (too soft) front shocks that aren't a big deal for a casual Rider/hunting rig. The engine also had open loop injection, meaning no O2 sensor. It also has only one spark plug. It's also the only year without a catalytic converter. As a result, the 2014s seem to run a bit cooler judging from owner feedback.

EPS is one of those things you'll never pass up if you can, but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying one, as they steer pretty lightly except at a standstill or during diff lock. And as mentioned above, you can add it aftermarket.
Unless you think it's been a mud machine or driven through lakes, the connectors aren't worth worrying over.

I do think the price is a little high.

I think 2017 was the 1st year of the deluxe.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
If there are nice accessories on the unit then the price, assuming it checks out is okay but as is, I would want to be south of 8K. A power steering unit will set him back 5-6 hundred and worth the money if planning on transporting a full pioneer of passengers...

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
i bought the non because you save a ton, everyone buy the eps because they they think they need it, i figured if my 13 yr old daughter could drive it with 27s its fine and she can without so few grand saved

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
Over time you can clean the reddish seal with a toothbrush. And apply some dielectric grease on it and inside to the connectors.
But if you go deep water and mud riding and connectors are covered and submerged all the time, I would check on them on the regular for kicks.
they also have a battery spray, I find it easier to just spray the connections down. I use conformal coating aerosol its pretty sticky after but its purpose is making circuit boards able to be left outside. I sprayed my prairie fuses and electronics down with this stuff after it broke a couple times in the deep stuff I'm always in, never had a problem in the ten years after of same abuse

Reactions: swsebek
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think @DG Rider Brought up the two most important things. The shocks and the lack of O2 sensor. If your friend is just wanting to putt around and use this as a hunting/Farm /work rig and he’s at a relatively low altitude then the machine is fine as is. If he wants to do more trail riding or is at a high altitude (over 6000 feet) he may be disappointed in the engine power and front suspension.

There were a few 2014’s that had baffles in the muffler break off and block the exhaust. I wouldn’t be too worried about it but it is worth mentioning.

As for electrical connections on an older rig I wouldn’t worry about that one bit. My 2014 700-2 is about to turn over 7000 miles and in that time it has been pressure washed, driven through water, mud, and used for irrigating. Not one issue. Those sealed connections really work!

Every shortcoming of the 2014 model year can be fixed for the most part with aftermarket parts. You can get a Dobeck AFR plus to add an O2 sensor, Fox to fix the suspension, HMF or Yoshimura to fix exhaust, and superatv for power steering.

The PS is really not completely necessary, more of a luxury upgrade. Don’t get me wrong, I shelled out the money for it and I like it. But don’t let the lack of power steering scare you off, it’s not that bad without.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 8 yr old daughter drives all over the damn place without power steering. My 6 yr old son drives it on my trails and in the pasture. I think your buddy can manage without it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!