1. 500
7142C486 9FC4 4B1E 90AA F10918354862

C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
It is something similar to that. Will adjust and the light will show how well your plug is firing. There are also ignition testers that bypass the plug and will tell if a problem is in the ignition firing system. It’s best to use both. If the light seems erratic and you proceed to use an ignition tester that bypasses the plug and shows an acceptable fire. The plug is to blame. The inline testers will determine if a plug is up to par.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It is something similar to that. Will adjust and the light will show how well your plug is firing. There are also ignition testers that bypass the plug and will tell if a problem is in the ignition firing system. It’s best to use both. If the light seems erratic and you proceed to use an ignition tester that bypasses the plug and shows an acceptable fire. The plug is to blame. The inline testers will determine if a plug is up to par.
You have no ideal what you are talking about. It's that simple.

C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
I believe you told him if his plug was firing against the block all was good. I just tried to help by saying it’s not reliable. Obviously it wasn’t reliable because the plug was the cause. I don’t know what I’m talking about? Lol. This forum is to help people. All I was trying to do. In this case I feel I was right by telling him just because it’s firing against ground isn’t always sufficient. Which you said was. No big deal. If my explanation wasn’t clear enough on the testing. Try YouTube.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I believe you told him if his plug was firing against the block all was good. I just tried to help by saying it’s not reliable. Obviously it wasn’t reliable because the plug was the cause. I don’t know what I’m talking about? Lol. This forum is to help people. All I was trying to do. In this case I feel I was right by telling him just because it’s firing against ground isn’t always sufficient. Which you said was. No big deal. If my explanation wasn’t clear enough on the testing. Try YouTube.
I told him he could tell the condition of the plug from how it looked when firing, which he made no mention of.

You started talking about pistons hitting electrodes which only happens with mechanical engine damage or the wrong plug.
Then you moved on to "spark length" and using spark testers, none of which test anything on the actual spark plug. The unit you linked above has no adjustment what-so-ever (I have one in my box), and is simply a incandescent bulb that lights when the coil fires. Again...nothing that tests anything on the plug, because even fouled plugs usually provide a path to ground, just not across the electrode.

These forums are, indeed, here to help (and I'm sure you have good intentions here), but bad advice is often worse than no advice. And I can go outside every day, look up and say it's going to rain. Eventually, I will be right. That don't make me a weather man.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
No...I'm done with it. Gotta go work on cars...LOL!
Just because the plug is firing doesn’t mean a whole lot. I assume you pulled the plug and set it against metal on your bike. One thing to consider is your piston isn’t hitting your electrode on the plug. You would need to test with a spark plug tester that allows you to change the space between electrode and the ground. Set it to spec via probably repair manual. If it fires after proper space is set I would assume your ignition is fine. I would check battery first. Then fuel or ignition. If that fails to resolve the issue I reckon it’s electrical or god forbid timing.
Hey bud, can you explain to me what this means? "One thing to consider is your piston isn’t hitting your electrode on the plug." Should the piston hit the spark plug? and this sentence also "You would need to test with a spark plug tester that allows you to change the space between electrode and the ground". I'm confused, I usually adjust the spark plug gap with feeler gauges, how does the spark plug tester change the gap? Thanks!

Reactions: DG Rider
C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
The reference was about placing your electrode to direct contact with ground. Your plug does not make contact with a piston. It should be able to arc with a gap between electrode and the clearance of the piston. I’m not talking about the gap on the actual plug. I guess I’m not explaining well enough. The pic of the tester doesn’t adjust but as I said. Similar to that are testers that do adjust for gap. In your case volts from the coil. Either way. My god.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Ok, I'll let it go. I'm sure it makes sense to you, but I can't figure it out. Mine has a spark between the center electrode and the ground electrode that sort of hooks over the center one, with a gap of about 40 thousands of an inch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!