P500 2015 P500 Won't Run

D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
My 2015 500 started fine when I backed it out of garage and loaded it on trailer. I topped off tank and went to the woods. It started fine when I backed off trailer. Then it didn't want to crank. Finally started but would not idle, just went dead. Now it will turn over but not fire at all. It has only 412 miles and I have not driven it in a while. I'm sure the gas that was in it was old. Did I maybe stir up trash in tank when I topped it off and drove 60 miles? I hear the fuel pump running when I turn key on. I guess it's going to the shop unless you folks have an idea.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi.
Any flashing lights on the display?

Sounds like bad gas is a good place to start.

Let's test.
Remove the air filter and spray some starter fluid mist into the throttle body. If she fires then its a fuel issue.

Replace fuel and see what you have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: dannylj
D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
I will try the starter fluid. I should have thought of that. There are no lights on on the display. I did notice there is a oil symbol that says "low" but I think it's because the P500 is still on the trailer on a slanted driveway. Thanks guys. If I figure it out I will post.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Better. Check that oil.
There are cutoff sensors in these things.

Reactions: dannylj
D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
My error. It appears the oil symbol is actually the coolant level. I'll check that also.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My error. It appears the oil symbol is actually the coolant level. I'll check that also.
There is no coolant level sensor. The little thermometer symbol light is for coolant temp. It should come on at bulb check when you turn the key on and go out after a few seconds.
If it's staying on constantly, that's a clue (it should be accompanied by the fan staying on all the time).
When machine has sat around for a while and suddenly develops issues, I always suspect rodents in the wires.

D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
There is no coolant level sensor. The little thermometer symbol light is for coolant temp. It should come on at bulb check when you turn the key on and go out after a few seconds.
If it's staying on constantly, that's a clue (it should be accompanied by the fan staying on all the time).
When machine has sat around for a while and suddenly develops issues, I always suspect rodents in the wires.
This is not a light. It is a symbol that comes up in the lower right hand corner of display when scrolling thru the menu. It has "low" beside it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is not a light. It is a symbol that comes up in the lower right hand corner of display when scrolling thru the menu. It has "low" beside it.
Ok.. if its the black text that says LOW that just means its too cold to get a temp and nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Mudder and dannylj
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok.. if its the black text that says LOW that just means its too cold to get a temp and nothing to worry about.
^^^ What he said,

Guess we're back to square one.

D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
OK, I pulled the air cleaner off and sprayed starter fluid in and still would not fire. Starter works fine and I hear the fuel pump run. I think I will just put it in the shop and have them check fuses, spark plug, injector, and clean the tank. I'm too old to fool with it. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll let you know what they find.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
OK, I pulled the air cleaner off and sprayed starter fluid in and still would not fire. Starter works fine and I hear the fuel pump run. I think I will just put it in the shop and have them check fuses, spark plug, injector, and clean the tank. I'm too old to fool with it. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll let you know what they find.
I agree.
If it was only fuel related. It would at least hit once on the start fluid.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
My 2015 500 started fine when I backed it out of garage and loaded it on trailer. I topped off tank and went to the woods. It started fine when I backed off trailer. Then it didn't want to crank. Finally started but would not idle, just went dead. Now it will turn over but not fire at all. It has only 412 miles and I have not driven it in a while. I'm sure the gas that was in it was old. Did I maybe stir up trash in tank when I topped it off and drove 60 miles? I hear the fuel pump running when I turn key on. I guess it's going to the shop unless you folks have an idea.
How old is your battery? I had the same issue once with my Rincon, it acted like a hydro-lock at first, would not crank but then it would after it sit a bit. Turned out the battery was taking a crap.

Last edited:
D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
How old is your battery? I had the same issue once with my Rincon, it acted like a hydro-lock at first, would not crank but then it would after it sit a bit. Turned out the battery was taking a crap.
I changed out the battery a couple of years ago. It seems to be good.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I changed out the battery a couple of years ago. It seems to be good.
One winter not on a battery tender is usually enough to substantially hurt these batteries.

Reactions: trigger
D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
Just an update. I pulled the spark plug and it is firing fine. I guess I am down to fuel problem even though spraying starter fluid down the throttle body did nothing. Going in the shop tomorrow.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
Test your battery before hand. If you haven’t done so yet. Very low tolerance on these machines when it comes to a failing power supply.

Reactions: Mudder and dannylj
C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
Just because the plug is firing doesn’t mean a whole lot. I assume you pulled the plug and set it against metal on your bike. One thing to consider is your piston isn’t hitting your electrode on the plug. You would need to test with a spark plug tester that allows you to change the space between electrode and the ground. Set it to spec via probably repair manual. If it fires after proper space is set I would assume your ignition is fine. I would check battery first. Then fuel or ignition. If that fails to resolve the issue I reckon it’s electrical or god forbid timing.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Recently replaced batteries on two rides, prompt failure. Drove onto trailer after riding, no start to unload. Did take the down time to clean all connections, including frame grounds.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!