P500 2015 Pioneer 500 pops out of gear

A

ANADMike

Sep 1, 2020
Moody, Al
Ownership

1. 500
My gears shift perfectly up and down. It is a good solid shift every time. As long as I have any torque at all (positive or negative), it will stay in gear. But when you slow to the point that there is no torque, it pops out of gear. This happens in all gears. Even reverse. It will pop right back in gear as soon as i give it gas/torque again. I notice it the worst when in negative RPMs going down a hill. If I keep it torqued, no problem. Slow down to a roll, and it pops out of gear until I give it gas again. I adjusted the clutch a little both ways to see if it would help. No change.

• Sad
Reactions: Mudder and DG Rider
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The P5 has a centrifugal clutch, it will "disengage" when the engine RPMs drop, this is what allows the engine to stay running when you come to a stop while in gear....could this be what you're feeling?

As the engine RPMs increase the "shoe"s on #16 (connected to the engine crankshaft) move outward to grab the drum #15 (connected to the transmission)

Clutch

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My gears shift perfectly up and down. It is a good solid shift every time. As long as I have any torque at all (positive or negative), it will stay in gear. But when you slow to the point that there is no torque, it pops out of gear. This happens in all gears. Even reverse. It will pop right back in gear as soon as i give it gas/torque again. I notice it the worst when in negative RPMs going down a hill. If I keep it torqued, no problem. Slow down to a roll, and it pops out of gear until I give it gas again. I adjusted the clutch a little both ways to see if it would help. No change.
Does it literally clunk and pop out of gear, or just freewheel like a Polaris that drops to idle? Could be a bad one way clutch bearing, if that's the case.

Reactions: Mudder
A

ANADMike

Sep 1, 2020
Moody, Al
Ownership

1. 500
Does it literally clunk and pop out of gear, or just freewheel like a Polaris that drops to idle? Could be a bad one way clutch bearing, if that's the case.
It just free wheels and stays that way until I give it gas. Very dangerous going down a hill. I have to use just the brakes to slow down until I give it gas again. There is no actual pop in or out. It seems to smoothly just start free wheeling when there is no positive or negative torque.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It just free wheels and stays that way until I give it gas. Very dangerous going down a hill. I have to use just the brakes to slow down until I give it gas again. There is no actual pop in or out. It seems to smoothly just start free wheeling when there is no positive or negative torque.
If that's the case then you need to inspect/replace #30, overunning clutch (one way bearing) that DG Rider suggested, it provides the engine braking.

A

ANADMike

Sep 1, 2020
Moody, Al
Ownership

1. 500
It just free wheels and stays that way until I give it gas. Very dangerous going down a hill. I have to use just the brakes to slow down until I give it gas again. There is no actual pop in or out. It seems to smoothly just start free wheeling when there is no positive or negative torque. If you let it free wheel for more than a few seconds, you can begin to hear the a slight gear grind like they are close but not engaged. It is worse in second or higher gears going down hill.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!