P700 2016 700-4

A

along2285

Feb 8, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
//See the end for my updated review after a couple month of ownership.

I posted this over on the hondapioneerforum, but it looks like there is more activity here so I am migrating. So here is my initial, one trail riding day, review of a bone stock pioneer 700-4 (plus a roof). I would like to preface this by saying I have rode in arctic cats, a ranger, and most recently I owned a 2012 polaris rzr 900 xp (that I traded for a tractor) before I was ready to purchase another one.

Yesterday I had the chance to get out and spend the majority of a day in the woods and on the trails with my new rig. I had just about hit the specified break in marks before we unloaded for the day, so after she got good and warmed up I was going to ride it like planned to for the rest of the time I own it. Our terrain was trails with some moderate hills, a creek bed that was sandy in spots with steep exits, some rock faces, and a decent amount of mud holes; and a pretty long tow (more on that later). They were not overly deep or thick mud holes but just fun enough to actually want to try when you are more of a trail riding kinda guy like I am. I am gonna break it up in a pros and cons kinda way.

The Good

Engine and Trans
Wowzers was I impressed with this thing. The motor had power all over the place and never once did I feel like there was not enough. Didnt matter if it was climbing a steep hill or tires buried in mud, if I wanted more power or to go faster it just took a bit more throttle and she delivered. The transmission was epically good too, after the ride my brother asked me about its shifting pattern. After I thought for a minute I had to respond with 'I dont know'. It was soooo good and so spot on I never really noticed a difference vs. a cvt trans in technical terrain. Hammering it down a straight away is the only time I really noticed it shifting, the rest of the time I was taking in the scenery or concentrating on the trail. How quick power is delivered to the rear wheels is also noticeable better than a cvt, as soon as you touch the throttle it begins to move. I am overwhelmed with the difference this makes, and the peace of mind that your not gonna slip a belt. Also should noted that never once did I feel like it needed a low range, and this includes towing a dead brute force with a 275lb rider back to the truck. A tow that was probably about a mile and included pulling all that dead weight up a moderately steep hill, the temp gauge never rose at all during this process.

Seating position/Steering
Where you are seated is optimal in this thing, it gives you visibility all over and could not be better. You can easily see over the 'hood' for obstacles you are coming up on, the drivers side tires when you hit a specific spot, and the view behind you is really good when backing up. I felt that the steering wheel location was really good and did not find myself wanting a tilt wheel. Steering was very light and responded extremely well. No matter the terrain or position the lack of power steering did not feel like it mattered. Aside from the one time I did get some wheel lash that caught my thumb I wouldnt have even known it wasnt there.

Tires
Boy do these tires hook up! I was riding with a couple quads, some running 27in kendra executioneers and one running 25in mud lites, and one with big outlaws. I dont think I hit every mud hole they did but I made it through everything on the trails that they did just as easy if not easier. My rig also climbed the creek exits better than any other machine, and also climbed the rock faces better. These tires are absolutely fantastic and I would say they have near excellent grip in all situations, very very impressed with these.

Suspension
Soaked up the bumps at all speeds with ease. Very comfortable ride all day long, and a portion of that was also with a spare rider. Its not a rzr but its not meant to compare to that. For what it is I was impressed.

The bad

Engine Breaking
To me it felt that it took too long to kick in, and did not assist enough for downhill use. Yes it was there but not as aggressive as I would have hoped for.

Pedal Position/Floorboard area
The shin area of my right leg was overworked and while it wasnt terrible it was an irritating pain at some points. You are basically straight up and down meaning you have to keep you foot flexed upward when not at full throttle. I am sure the more I ride the more my muscles will get use to this, and I do understand its not a laid back rzr. But if Honda could find a way to move that out a little bit it would be a big improvement. While I never felt like I needed more floorboard space for my left foot, I did find the narrow entry point to be a pain in the neck. My boot kept getting lodged in that area when getting in/out, if they could add an inch or two to that opening that would be a big improvement.

Ground Clearance
Yes I know I just got done bragging up the tires, but if your machine leaves the farm they just are not tall enough. I had 3 spots where I had tooth jarring bottom outs, and 2 places where I high centered that only took the nudge of a guy rocking the machine for me to grab and go on. I will be putting 27in bighorns on this machine in time for our big April ride. A taller tire is something I feel this machine could really benifit from.

The Ugly

Gauge Position
This has been covered over and over and I still dont know how it made it past Honda's first R&D round. You cannot see anything from the standard driving position. You have to lean up or hunker down to view it, should absolutely be mounted where the big warning sign in. It could have also been a bit brighter as it wasnt easy to see in direct sunlight. It should be noted that I knew this before I bought it, and its just not a big deal to me; I dont care how fast I am going and I can lean in when I need to check fuel or temp. Why it gets the ugly category is because its something that every rider knows about, but something Honda didnt address. Stupid on their part IMO.

Overall there are not words to describe how good this machine actually is! Better than I expected in almost every area, and all of the flaws I had read about before buying it (except my boot getting caught up in the narrow passage when getting in and out); but it wasnt enough to sway me away from a Honda. My biggest concerns was lack of low end power and torque, and that auto trans when climbing hills or in technical spots. And it proved to shine in these areas. I do not for 1 second wish that I had purchased the 1000, or the delux model of the 700. The stock 700-4 is as close to a perfect machine for what I need it for. I hope this might help others who are looking into this rig and might be considering another brand, or even the P1000.

Cheers
Andy

Edit:
Ok, so now I have had the machine for a few months and have several hundred miles on it I thought it would be a good time to come back here and update my initial review.

I want to start with a list of the mods/accessories I did, dont have pictures of all of them at the moment though;

27in Bighorn's on stock rims
4 pack of LED's on toggles from Amazon (cheap ones)
Overhead bag for RZR
Oh Crap handles
Mirror
Winch and mounting plate
Home made rear hook

Now to explain some of them. I touched on the tires not being quite tall enough for trail riding, which is where the bighorns come in. Because 70% of the riding I do is trail riding they were a must. Any quality 27-28in tire would have worked, I just didnt want to purchase 14in rims. We do some occasional night riding so backing up a trail on a mountain is difficult with no light. So I bought a 4 pack of cheap LED's and mounted 2 to the rear and two to the front. I just used self taping screws and the mouting plates that came with the lights, it works for me. There is also added benifit to my forward facing lights, I slightly angled them to get some reflection off my roof; which gives me the perfect amount of cockpit light during night rides.

While the glove box is 'sealed' it didnt quite instill confidence in me for safe keeping. For my phone, keys, and random additional items I bought a cheap overhead bag to keep these things further from the elements. Plus it gives me a little more room for taking things out on the trail. I tied some rope to the roll cage for extra tie down spots since there wasnt anything like this available for the Honda. I also added a pair of OH CRAP! handles to the front roll cage area. When I am going down some steep hills I want to make sure I keep my hands inside in case something goes wrong, left hand on the steering wheel and the right on this handle. I have one on either side of a rear view mirror that I added as well, this might be one of the best value mods a guy can do.

As you might expect I added a 3500lb winch and mount plate, which has been needed a couple times. And I welded up a custom hook for the rear. I just took a 2in receiver and cut it off to the length I needed, and a heavy duty chain hook. I ground the hook flat and welded it to the receiver. This has been used countless times to pull guys out, or tow them back home.

OK, now for the actual review update, and I am going to start with the bad.

Power
This guy could use like 5 additional HP. I have now been in a couple situations where it would not climb a rut from a stop (on a hill after not making it in 2wd, stopping to engage 4wd it wouldn't climb straight up it) without backing up a couple feet and hitting it from a roll. We also recently rode Wildcat ATV Park in Kentucky and climbing the hill to the dome, ole gal lost speed the whole way up, I was down to 7mph by time I hit the top. I think a few more ponies would solve these issues.

Brakes
The engine brake is about useless for trail riding, although pulling a trailer back and forth to dads it does its job well. The engine brake struggles to keep the machine under 12 going down hill, but I spose they engineered this for a farm more-so than they did trails. I also found the brakes themselves to be a little lacking. Even after a good power wash there are some hills out there where I dont think I could bring the machine to a complete stop if I wanted to. I will call the dealer on this and see if this is normal behavior.

Bed
If you load this thing up with dirt, firewood, etc. you better make sure you tailgate the majority of it. The assistance for dumping the bed is a joke, nothing like loading it up with dirt and having to shovel 75% of it back off when you get to your dump site. The three tie down points is also a PITA, it really needs two points in the front. I have even considered trying to mount something on the rear doors for additional anchor points.

The Good
Im not going back over everything, because all the good about the machine from 8 months ago are still good (and all the bads from 8 months ago are still bad). Even will all the negatives about this machine I still think its the best buy out there for reliability and price; and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. But I know when I was looking to purchase I would really have appreciated a guide like this, where all the negatives were out there and a guy still would recommend it.

IMG 27561 zpsipt5pwj5
a>

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the better Honda pioneer forum. Ha ha.

Thank you for the good review, I know that took a lot of time and there will be new guys come along wanting good reviews before they buy.

It's really good to hear that you're happy with the power on the pioneer 700. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum that it either needs lower gears or more power.

I agree with you with the engine braking is lacking on that machine. But they are still very capable and very long-lasting machines.

Now let's see some pictures of your vehicle and some of the trail pics!

Here's one of mine......
E3243c0460d230fcb1f9f195601efdf3

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the good side Andy. I agree with your assessment!!!. For the ground clearance, most of use have upgrade to the Commander XT shocks. See this thread. The first several pages are the key.
Tires, I mostly agree. The only thing I don't like is the 4 ply. On my second ride I found a small puncture due to riding a creek bed that should not have happened. I am trying to find alternative tires, but having troubles finding ones I like. I looked at the Kenda Bearclaw HTR's but the weight rating has me concerned.
Enjoy and please post some Pictures!!
This is mine with the commander shocks.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
A

along2285

Feb 8, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
After the first ride I ordered a couple O SH** handles, a mirror, and an overhead storage/map bag. I drive with my left hand and find that a grab handle on the front part of the roll cage would be beneficial for me. The overhead storage will give me a safe place to store my phone out on the trail so I can start snapping pics and vids! As well as let me take my keys and wallet and not have to worry about loosing them out on the trail. But none of this stuff was overly relevant to a solid review so I left it out.

Cheers
Andy

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hahaha Yep you will have it traded in before you get a response on the other. Welcome to the Honda club and I'm totally with you and the longer you have it the more she grows on you. And it's tuff as nails.congratulations and any questions you have just ask we always get back to a fellow member cause no one sleeps over here and the Mods are on the ball.post some pics

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the good side!!!!
I agree with you and everyone else that has or had a 700, they are tough and great overall machines. Try a Throttle Max on the gas pedal!
Again welcome to the forum

Reactions: CumminsPusher
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Welcome andy,I was going to tell you about this site,but I knew you would find it.

A

along2285

Feb 8, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here she is with the bighorns after a couple quick laps around my inlaws place. Can tell it takes more of the skinny pedal to get her moving, but certainly not straining (wondering if the 2.0's would have been the better move, but life is full of what ifs). Here soon I will start grabbing pics in action and not just on the trailer.

*/Note: no clearance issues at all with these 27s on the stock rims, cannot wait to get her back out and put some more miles on this beast.

http://[URL=http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/along22855/media/IMG_21251_zpszyfgkssm.jpg.html][ATTACH]37605[/ATTACH][IMG]http://[URL=http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/along22855/media/IMG_21251_zpszyfgkssm.jpg.html][ATTACH]37605[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37604[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37605[/ATTACH]
Cheers
Andy

Something not working with photobucket, will look into this later.

Attachments

• IMG_21231_zpsmngew6ry.jpg
    IMG_21231_zpsmngew6ry.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_21251_zpszyfgkssm.jpg
    IMG_21251_zpszyfgkssm.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!