P1000 2016 P1000-3 Needs clutch update

W

Wyo307

Oct 2, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-3
Hello everyone. My new to me 2016 P1000-3 still doesn't have the clutch update completed so I was looking at the recall notice and it does not appear to be all that difficult. Has anyone attempted this update themselves? I am assuming most people had the dealers to them when covered by them but the guy I bought it from did not. Luckily it only has 180 miles so it hasn't been used enough to damage the clutches. I am thinking about tackling this job myself as it is just a cover and some o-rings and one bearing but wanted to hear everyone else's opinions.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Are u positive it wasn't? Did u check the plate?
also, if its still fine, why not run it till or if it goes? There are quite a few that either missed it or just didnt do it and were fine.

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just in case….

Reactions: Lady01
W

Wyo307

Oct 2, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-3
Are u positive it wasn't? Did u check the plate?
also, if its still fine, why not run it till or if it goes? There are quite a few that either missed it or just didnt do it and were fine.
Yes I’m positive it hasn’t been done. I thought about just leaving it but I don’t want to mess the clutch pack up

J

Jseymour

Oct 27, 2021
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
Looking to buy one this weekend. 2016 1000-5 with 4K miles. Clutch hasn’t been updated and no issues yet. Are they still honoring this recall if it did have issues? Why not take it to the dealer to have it done if so?

H

HondaTech

Looking to buy one this weekend. 2016 1000-5 with 4K miles. Clutch hasn’t been updated and no issues yet. Are they still honoring this recall if it did have issues? Why not take it to the dealer to have it done if so?

The clutch update was never a recall, it was PUD and had a time limit. I dont believe that Honda is doing them for free anymore.

W

Wyo307

Oct 2, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-3
The clutch update was never a recall, it was PUD and had a time limit. I dont believe that Honda is doing them for free anymore.
You are correct it was a PUD not a recall same as the heat fix etc.

I bought the parts last week (Honda isn't doing it for free anymore, total cost with the oil was about $220) and I am going to do this fix myself. I will report back when I get to it and let you all how it goes. I have a rather large stack of parts for this machine right now so I don't know what I will get to first.

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
H

HondaTech

You are correct it was a PUD not a recall same as the heat fix etc.

I bought the parts last week (Honda isn't doing it for free anymore, total cost with the oil was about $220) and I am going to do this fix myself. I will report back when I get to it and let you all how it goes. I have a rather large stack of parts for this machine right now so I don't know what I will get to first.

Have a look at thr outer clutch while your there, if there is any doubt of it being damaged then replace it.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have around 15,000 miles on my 2016 model without the update and it still has the original clutches with zero issues. The telling (good telling) news for you is you can feel confident that your machine has never been abused if it still has the original pre-updated cover. Matter of fact, I'm not planning on changing mine...I figure it's a good selling point to prove that it hasn't been abused.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!