P1000 2016 P1000 Rear Axle Popping

Rcksblr

Rcksblr

Dec 22, 2018
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys - I noticed some noise coming from my rear axle this last weekend. Took a look underneath and saw I had a pretty good size tear in the outer CV boot on the drivers side. I am sure the joint is shot with the noise I am hearing, mostly when making a turn. If you are getting popping is that going to mean 100% the joint is bad? If so, is it best to just replace the whole axle?

I did a few searches online but figured I would ask on this forum if anyone knows where folks are finding the best place to find aftermarket axles at a decent price? Any how-to videos out there for the job?

Machine is a 2016 P1000-5.

Thanks!

Reactions: Hawk53
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys - I noticed some noise coming from my rear axle this last weekend. Took a look underneath and saw I had a pretty good size tear in the outer CV boot on the drivers side. I am sure the joint is shot with the noise I am hearing, mostly when making a turn. If you are getting popping is that going to mean 100% the joint is bad? If so, is it best to just replace the whole axle?

I did a few searches online but figured I would ask on this forum if anyone knows where folks are finding the best place to find aftermarket axles at a decent price? Any how-to videos out there for the job?

Machine is a 2016 P1000-5.

Thanks!

If its popping something is bad most likely the cage that holds the bearings. I would buy factory there are a few members that have had issues out of the aftermarket rear axels. @JTW had aftermarket rears rubbing on the diff case and heating the whole thing up over 350F where a factory will only get about 150-180.

I have had issues from the aftermarket front axels, the factory has held up much better for me.

You can buy the shaft and outer CV as an assembly for about $180 for the front or rear.
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (SXS1000M5D 2A) REAR KNUCKLE / REAR DRIVESHAFT | Babbitts Honda Partshouse

Reactions: JTW
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I have Super Atv's Rhino axles all the way around on my 2016 and they are working fine

J

JTW

I have Super Atv's Rhino axles all the way around on my 2016 and they are working fine
The rear SATV consistently ran hotter than the Honda axles.. even taking my cluster f*** out of the equation. This was IR gunning various machines at the takeover. Fonts.. fine! But there’s just something about the rear axles.

Rcksblr

Rcksblr

Dec 22, 2018
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If its popping something is bad most likely the cage that holds the bearings. I would buy factory there are a few members that have had issues out of the aftermarket rear axels. @JTW had aftermarket rears rubbing on the diff case and heating the whole thing up over 350F where a factory will only get about 150-180.

I have had issues from the aftermarket front axels, the factory has held up much better for me.

You can buy the shaft and outer CV as an assembly for about $180 for the front or rear.
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (SXS1000M5D 2A) REAR KNUCKLE / REAR DRIVESHAFT | Babbitts Honda Partshouse

Thanks everyone, this helps! Sounds like going factory is best. I'm fine paying a little more for the piece of mind. Does anyone know of any how-to vids on the removal/instal of the new axle?

Reactions: Hotlz
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone, this helps! Sounds like going factory is best. I'm fine paying a little more for the piece of mind. Does anyone know of any how-to vids on the removal/instal of the new axle?

@joeymt33 has a how to but my internet is so slow where I’m at I can’t search very quickly for it.

Reactions: Rcksblr
Rcksblr

Rcksblr

Dec 22, 2018
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hey so looking this link you sent me. Trying to make sense on what I would need to order there. For the drivers side Outer Rear CV Joint, would that mean I just need to order item #7 or #10? Looks like those kits both will also get me some parts for the inner, yes?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
7 is Right rear and 10 is Left rear. I believe they are a SLIGHTLY different length so it does matter. The kit gets you the inner boot kit and grease you're going to need it when you take the inner cage and everything loose to put the new shaft in. Its easy you can order a pizza then rebuild and be eating a hot pizza when your done.

P700 - CV repair and boot replacement.

There is the rebuild thread

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How many miles/km on them ?
I've got 3k miles on my satv fronts I finally heard one pop turned full lock in 4x4. I'm also not running the steering stops with the satv arched arms. It made some noise at the moment it happened but otherwise hasn't and has worked fine for what its worth.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!