P1000m5 2016 P1k-5 runs rough and quits

minisoda

minisoda

Aug 21, 2018
MN
Our Pioneer started running really rough recently. It will idle around 300 RPM just high enough to not stall... will randomly pop up and idle just over 1,000 for a brief period. I could get it to run a little ways, but now it quits immediately when I put it in gear.

Our shop is two weeks out to even look at it and the summer season is short here.

I added fuel additive and checked the air box.... any other ideas I can try?

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our Pioneer started running really rough recently. It will idle around 300 RPM just high enough to not stall... will randomly pop up and idle just over 1,000 for a brief period. I could get it to run a little ways, but now it quits immediately when I put it in gear.

Our shop is two weeks out to even look at it and the summer season is short here.

Possibly wiring connection for the injectors. Lots of threads about it and @Hondasxs store sell replacements.

longrhoads

longrhoads

Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hello Minisoda
I’ve heard of this problem with a couple of solutions. A weak/old battery can cause this issue and is probably the easiest to check.
Second, I would pull the engine cover and check plugs and plug wires. If wires are bad, you can see sparks jumping from wire to engine if you get in a dark place and run the motor.
Third, there is a know issue with the injector cable connector on the injectors. Over time they start to fail and have to be replaced. Honda doesn’t sell just the connector. They only sell the complete wire harness but there is a place that sells just the connector. There is a video on YouTube that goes over the replacement and where to get the connectors.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Does your dash display any flashing codes?
Most injector issues will flash a code.

Try what has been suggested above. Drain your fuel tank and put fresh known good fuel in it.

longrhoads

longrhoads

Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello Minisoda
I’ve heard of this problem with a couple of solutions. A weak/old battery can cause this issue and is probably the easiest to check.
Second, I would pull the engine cover and check plugs and plug wires. If wires are bad, you can see sparks jumping from wire to engine if you get in a dark place and run the motor.
Third, there is a know issue with the injector cable connector on the injectors. Over time they start to fail and have to be replaced. Honda doesn’t sell just the connector. They only sell the complete wire harness but there is a place that sells just the connector. There is a video on YouTube that goes over the replacement and where to get the connectors.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Did you find the problem?

minisoda

minisoda

Aug 21, 2018
MN
No, I’ve been too busy to really tear into the problem, so I called the dealership (backlogged two weeks) and they are taking a look at it a week from today. Will let you all know what they find.

Reactions: longrhoads

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!