P1000 2016 P1k won't shift into low when cold

P

pkcal

Mar 6, 2016
Ohio
2016 just back from clutch recall. Dealer wouldn't do clutch plates as they 'looked new' but supposedly did the housing upgrade. Drives much better but when cold and at high idle, the shift lever won't go into Low unless I really force it. Lever moves smoothly to all positions when the machine is turned off (and wasn't an issue when cold before I had the clutch upgrade done) so think the gear shifter linkage is fine but not buying the dealer story that I should just drive it in High till it warms up.

Anyone else have this issue post clutch recall? Should I go thru the clutch reset procedure to see if that helps it out? Other thoughts?

This time of year, I'm plowing with it regularly and not a fan of letting it run till warm or plowing in High till things warm up enough till it will easily shift down into Low.

Thanks in advance.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've noticed mine shifts harder into low now that it's cold out (0°). I haven't looked into adjusting the cable.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2016 just back from clutch recall. Dealer wouldn't do clutch plates as they 'looked new' but supposedly did the housing upgrade. Drives much better but when cold and at high idle, the shift lever won't go into Low unless I really force it. Lever moves smoothly to all positions when the machine is turned off (and wasn't an issue when cold before I had the clutch upgrade done) so think the gear shifter linkage is fine but not buying the dealer story that I should just drive it in High till it warms up.

Anyone else have this issue post clutch recall? Should I go thru the clutch reset procedure to see if that helps it out? Other thoughts?

This time of year, I'm plowing with it regularly and not a fan of letting it run till warm or plowing in High till things warm up enough till it will easily shift down into Low.

Thanks in advance.
Check the box for cables. Behind driver, mine was full of ice. Yours may make moisture in it.

H

HondaTech

I've had a few units that after performing the clutch update will creep in gear. I'm not sure what the cause is, but the fix is usually a clutch learn reset.

The unit has to be warm first, if not the procedure will default to low oil temp until the unit reaches an acceptable temp.

The next steps should be done quickly, you may want to read over them before you attempt it.

Unit should be in Park. Turn the key to the on position (not run).

Press the throttle to the floor, let off fully, press to the floor, let off fully, press to the floor and hold.

Shift the lever from Park to Low in the same manner as the throttle. P to L to P to L and finish in P. Leave in Park, make certain the dash displays the "L" for low when shifting into Low.

Now release the throttle and start the unit. The dash should display - - in the gear postion. MT and AT should both de on under the speedometer readout.

The dash will blink the - - at 2 second intervals. When the - - and AT/MT disappears the initialization is complete.

If a large or small "L" appears in the gear postion the unit isnt warm enough. You'll need to wait until the "P" is displayed and then shut the until off and start the procedure over again.

It sounds like alot, but it's really simple actually. This should solve your problem, unless the tech did something incorrectly. But this issue is a very common problem after the update is done.

Reactions: Kevdp4

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!