P1000 2016 pioneer dies when idle

A

AdamR

Mar 23, 2021
MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 pioneer 1000-5 had been idling a little rough and has started to drop low in the idle then right back to normal up and down like that intermittently. When i just let it sit and idle it will eventually die. When you drive it it runs just fine no problems whatsoever. When you stop sometimes it dies. I thought water in the gas so i put some heet in it and no change. The exhaust smells rich and thick. I pulled the spark plugs and the front plug was charred and black the rear looked normal. I put new plugs in and no change. I read on here about the iacv could be the problem so i pulled mine and it looked a little dirty. It was unscrewed far enough that it was about to fall off inside the throttle body and it moves easily but only about 1/8 in forward and no rearward motion. I dont know how its normally supposed to move. Totally stock 2016 pioneer.1000-5. Please help. I attached pics of iacv i just wiped off some grime with my finger. It doesnt show any codes

20210323 201901 20210323 201856 20210323 201853

MSPioneer1000

MSPioneer1000

May 31, 2019
Richland, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm gonna follow this. Mine is doing the same thing. It runs fine when you finally get it moving but at idle or just starting it spits and sputters. I've already changed the fuel injection connectors.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would clean it up and put give it a go. Spray it off with compressed air or light cleaner.
Book does not mention to put any lubrication. I think it should stay dry with a little grease on the screw.
clean the boar hole with a qtip, make sure not to leave any debris inside.
Put it back in with it screwed all the way up making sure the pin aligned the grove.

A

AdamR

Mar 23, 2021
MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I cleaned the iacv and put it back in no change. Figured maybe stuck injector because the front spark plug was charred black and the exhaust smelled bad. Dumped a bunch of injector cleaner and then ran the hell out of it. No change. The gas is maybe 5 months old. I dont think its bad gas because the rear cylinder is firing fine. Im going to try the coils next.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So one cylinder is running fine... the other is not?
That would not be the IACV.

At idle, wiggle and pull the injector wires and the IACV wires slightly. See if it causes a change.
Both have been reported to have broken connections inside the wire insulation right at the head of the connector.

A

AdamR

Mar 23, 2021
MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So one cylinder is running fine... the other is not?
That would not be the IACV.

At idle, wiggle and pull the injector wires and the IACV wires slightly. See if it causes a change.
Both have been reported to have broken connections inside the wire insulation right at the head of the connector.
Yes front cylinder is misfiring. I think it is getting too much fuel in the front cylinder. Back cylinder is working fine.

A

AdamR

Mar 23, 2021
MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I uploaded a video of what its doing. I unplugged the injector wires and they seemed fine. It didnt change anything when i moved them around. The only other thing i can think of is the injector itself.

advertisement
MSPioneer1000

MSPioneer1000

May 31, 2019
Richland, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I uploaded a video of what its doing. I unplugged the injector wires and they seemed fine. It didnt change anything when i moved them around. The only other thing i can think of is the injector itself.
That is exactly what mine is doing. If you ever get it moving forward it runs fine. I've changed the connectors and wires that go to the injectors. I've got the spark plugs now to replace. I'm hoping someone with a lot more knowledge than I've got on these "money pits' can tell me what needs to be done.

Reactions: Lady01
A

AdamR

Mar 23, 2021
MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well mine wasnt the spark plugs i changed those out to no avail. I know its something dumb but i dont want to just start replacing stuff until i have a better idea whats wrong
That is exactly what mine is doing. If you ever get it moving forward it runs fine. I've changed the connectors and wires that go to the injectors. I've got the spark plugs now to replace. I'm hoping someone with a lot more knowledge than I've got on these "money pits' can tell me what needs to be done.

A

AdamR

Mar 23, 2021
MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well i swapped the coil packs front to rear but it didn't seem to make any difference in the sound or anything and im waiting for the motor to cool so i can check to see if the rear cylinder is charing the plug. I also ordered the injector wires to see if replacing those makes any difference

MSPioneer1000

MSPioneer1000

May 31, 2019
Richland, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well i swapped the coil packs front to rear but it didn't seem to make any difference in the sound or anything and im waiting for the motor to cool so i can check to see if the rear cylinder is charing the plug. I also ordered the injector wires to see if replacing those makes any difference
When you figure out what your problem is can you post what you did? If I get mine running right I'll post what I did

A

AdamR

Mar 23, 2021
MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Havent figured it out. I swapped the injectors back to front but need to pull the plugs to see if the problem moved to the rear cylinder. I have new injectors and injector wires on order

MSPioneer1000

MSPioneer1000

May 31, 2019
Richland, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So its not the injector wires or the injectors. I am at a complete loss
I fixed mine yesterday. Turns out I had a bad spark plug. I swapped the coil packs and then the spark plugs. The problem followed the spark plug. I got 2 new ones from O'Reilly's for $32.00, put them in and it runs like a champ. FYI... the spark plug wrench you need is in the tool pack that comes with your buggy .

Last edited:
MSPioneer1000

MSPioneer1000

May 31, 2019
Richland, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Swapped the injectors no luck. I dont know maybe change the coil packs next
Pull your plug wires while it's running and see if you notice a change in sound. I could pull the back plug wire and nothing happened. When I pulled the front one it died. I swapped plugs and the problem followed the plugs. You've got a spark plug wrench in the toolkit that came with your buggy.

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement