P1000 2017' 1000-5 Essential Mods?

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Guys,

I should be picking up my 2017 1000-5 the 18th of this month. This is my first UTV and I'd like to hear what mods you guys with experience would deem essential for this thing? Most of the trails are rocky with open areas of packed dirt. There's very little mud and sand to worry about. I'll be riding from the valley floor up to the glaciers at 7000+ feet in the West Kootenays of British Columbia. Some of the areas are 40-50 miles back from the staging spot.

I've already ordered the Trail Armor UHMW skid plate, not the A-Arms, and a dual battery kit. As I mentioned in my first ever post here, I will be installing a Cooper Bussman system to have ready for accessories added later on. My Pioneer is coming with the factory roof and the Warn winch. I've been looking at the EMP rear bumper and Tough Country front bumper but I'm not sure if it's worth it? I'm not super concerned with bling but would rather build a bombproof rig I don't have to worry about 50 miles back in Grizz country.

Please let me know what you think is essential for protection/durability first?

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)

etc........

Thanks,

SikorskyGramps

Reactions: AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You've got a nice start. For what you asked in order off top of head Snorkel,windshield,tire patch kit/mini compressor,back up lighting,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You've got a nice start. For what you asked in order off top of head Snorkel,windshield,tire patch kit/mini compressor,back up lighting,

Excellent........thanks CumminsPusher

I wasn't even thinking about the snorkel or mini compressor! I think ARB makes a pretty nice compact unit. How's the visibility out of the factory windshield with the wiper on? I held off on that accessory because I wasn't sure if the aftermarket was going to come up with something where the glass extended a little deeper similar to the Polaris Rangers. I just started researching led lightbars and cube lights............talk about choices! I'd like to make all of my own wiring harnesses and use the Bussman setup. Do you know of any LED companies that just sell the lights without the relay, plugs, switches and wiring harness?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Excellent........thanks CumminsPusher

I wasn't even thinking about the snorkel or mini compressor! I think ARB makes a pretty nice compact unit. How's the visibility out of the factory windshield with the wiper on? I held off on that accessory because I wasn't sure if the aftermarket was going to come up with something where the glass extended a little deeper similar to the Polaris Rangers. I just started researching led lightbars and cube lights............talk about choices! I'd like to make all of my own wiring harnesses and use the Bussman setup. Do you know of any LED companies that just sell the lights without the relay, plugs, switches and wiring harness?
I really prefer glass as I just hate looking through scratches. That's not for everyone but I use it when crappy and switch to partial when nice. I understand the use of the splits and if they had a glass one I'd have that. I did opt for a pair of hand wipers rather then power this time and have been happy. Don't get all brand crazy on the lighting it doesn't matter we've owned them all with excellent luck. Try to buy Cree,Phillips or Osram but not necessarily in that order all are good,get what's cheap with one of this led's inside. I think most lightbars will come with the harness but personally I just don't use that. The best way is to really go over your machine and look at others to figure out what you're going to run for the most part and build a harness for that regardless if you have the stuff upfront. The bussmann is a great start.

J

JTW

Dad just put on a tough country bumper and ordered from here..
Tough Country Standard UTV Front Bumper, Honda (2016-17) Pioneer

If I had seen this price before I bought the Honda brush guard and added d rings I would have just gone that route. It's nice!! We also have the EMP rear bumpers.. they're fine for what they're for. And they tilt with the bed.

You may want to consider a spare tire.. or even a change of wheels and tires all together.

@Moses on here makes a nice rear carrier!!

CP already mentioned the snorkel.. check all your hose clamps on the intake all the way back!!! I had a couple loose! Cheap amazon leds is what most run for lights.. stereo maybe?.. gps.. handheld CB radio.

I'm trying to think what all I have piled up.. equipment to take is subjective. But there are a lot of guys on here that helped guide me in the right direction.

Oh oh oh.. the famous line lock parking brake!

J

JTW

Great suggestions all around. But I'll add some sort of rear panel if you're running a full top and windscreen. Without it all the dust, snow and dirt gets sucked inside.
Yeah.. good one. I ordered a mid soft panel last week after running a wet gravel road with a windshield at 65mph.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great suggestions all around. But I'll add some sort of rear panel if you're running a full top and windscreen. Without it all the dust, snow and dirt gets sucked inside.

Agreed. Great for the money!

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@SikorskyGramps I can tell right away you are going to love this forum. Good luck keeping up with all the info and ideas here!

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really prefer glass as I just hate looking through scratches. That's not for everyone but I use it when crappy and switch to partial when nice. I understand the use of the splits and if they had a glass one I'd have that. I did opt for a pair of hand wipers rather then power this time and have been happy. Don't get all brand crazy on the lighting it doesn't matter we've owned them all with excellent luck. Try to buy Cree,Phillips or Osram but not necessarily in that order all are good,get what's cheap with one of this led's inside. I think most lightbars will come with the harness but personally I just don't use that. The best way is to really go over your machine and look at others to figure out what you're going to run for the most part and build a harness for that regardless if you have the stuff upfront. The bussmann is a great start.

Excellent advice CP. Thanks

Reactions: CumminsPusher
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@SikorskyGramps I can tell right away you are going to love this forum. Good luck keeping up with all the info and ideas here!

I'm already overwhelmed by the support AKRider! I'm turning 68 this March and I'm not quite up to speed on forums. Actually, this is the first one I've ever joined. My 41 year old son recommended it was the best place to start before I even paid for the machine! Kinda feels like a big extended family.......I like it :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm already overwhelmed by the support AKRider! I'm turning 68 this March and I'm not quite up to speed on forums. Actually, this is the first one I've ever joined. My 41 year old son recommended it was the best place to start before I even paid for the machine! Kinda feels like a big extended family.......I like it :)
It's like that. You chose well it's the best forum and btw congratulations on the Pioneer! Send in some pics along the way

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!