P1000 2017 blown head gaskets

D

dgeagle78

Jul 6, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took this unit in to dealership with clutch issues and a overheating problem. Honda dealership "adjusted clutch" and replaced a thermostat gasket which they said was bad even though I seen the old gasket and still have it and it's clear nothing is wrong with it. I guide hunts in New Mexico long story short machine kept overheating and tranny/clutch would slip only in reverse. Before I could get it back to load on trailer gaskets blow scared cylinder needs major tranny work. Dealership where I bought unit used with no warranty says over 8k to fix. Spoke with lawyers to no avail. I have a case# with Honda but not getting much help from them. Is this common? I mean when it overheated bad enough in the past it would say on display to pull over and let idle till cool but not this time.

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the first blown head gasket I've read about on a Pioneer 1000.

When the dealer replaced the thermostat gasket, did they make any remarks about coolant levels or air in the system?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Took this unit in to dealership with clutch issues and a overheating problem. Honda dealership "adjusted clutch" and replaced a thermostat gasket which they said was bad even though I seen the old gasket and still have it and it's clear nothing is wrong with it. I guide hunts in New Mexico long story short machine kept overheating and tranny/clutch would slip only in reverse. Before I could get it back to load on trailer gaskets blow scared cylinder needs major tranny work. Dealership where I bought unit used with no warranty says over 8k to fix. Spoke with lawyers to no avail. I have a case# with Honda but not getting much help from them. Is this common? I mean when it overheated bad enough in the past it would say on display to pull over and let idle till cool but not this time.
Thats weird! Sounds like they missed something? You have a 17’ in reguards to your clutch situation. did u have or was the “clutch update” done on the machine Do u know?
And welcome to the forum.
post some pics of the machine when u get a chance! before after or both. We like visuals!

Reactions: Lady01
H

HondaTech

Sounds to me like it needed the ECM fan update for the overheating and something else was up with the cltuch.

I've never seen any head gasket issues on any Honda utv except our turbo Talon.

Wonder if it was damaged from previous overheating.

D

dgeagle78

Jul 6, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the first blown head gasket I've read about on a Pioneer 1000.

When the dealer replaced the thermostat gasket, did they make any remarks about coolant levels or air in the system?
Yea dealership burped it after I read on here it's common and suggested it to them.

Reactions: Lady01
D

dgeagle78

Jul 6, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats weird! Sounds like they missed something? You have a 17’ in reguards to your clutch situation. did u have or was the “clutch update” done on the machine Do u know?
And welcome to the forum.
post some pics of the machine when u get a chance! before after or both. We like visuals!
Awesome I will get some pics uploaded. Yea I'm not sure if they did the clutch update or just the clutch relearn procedure. I know they adjusted it something manually as far as the clutch goes.

D

dgeagle78

Jul 6, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds to me like it needed the ECM fan update for the overheating and something else was up with the cltuch.

I've never seen any head gasket issues on any Honda utv except our turbo Talon.

Wonder if it was damaged from previous overheating.
That's what I was thinking, unless it having a heater is causing there to be an air pocket that just won't burp properly.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
How many miles on odometer?

How many miles when you bought it?

When did you buy it?

How many miles have you put on it since purchase?

It's very possible that someone traded it in because the prior owner knew it has issues.

The DCT transmission in our Hondas is the best available in any atv/utv but to own and use one successfully owners must understand how it works and the driving techniques required.

Starting from a stop should be crisp. Using engine power as a hill holder or lugging the buggy against a load while the clutch slips is destructive.

$8000 for head gaskets and new clutches sounds excessive to me.

Your DCT probably needs clutch replacement. I'm guessing here but dealer parts and labor charges for clutches should range from a few hundred dollars to perhaps around $1000. Someone please correct me if I'm too low.

I don't think head gasket replacement should exceed another $1000. If cylinder head or heads (?) are warped and must be replaced perhaps $2000 - $3000. Again, someone please correct me if I'm too low. (I'm old school)

My recommendation is first find a better dealer. Some car/truck/utv/atv dealerships employ parts changers not. Real mechanics are hard to find and demand good wages.

When you reported you took your Honda to a dealership asking for a head gasket and you got a thermostat gasket instead I suspect you visited a dealer with parts changers.

Hiring a lawyer in this matter will mean two people taking advantage of you not just one.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!