WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 Pioneer 1000-5
Well last Friday while riding in WV the exhaust on my pioneer broke. Didn't know what it was but I knew it sounded like it was closer to the engine. Looked into it today and found one of the exhaust pipe gaskets at the engine blew (circled in pic).

I'm just looking for some advice on replacing the gasket. I'm thinking I need to take the exhaust apart first at the rear flange where the spring bolts are and then remove the end where it bolts to the engine. Any thoughts? I'm going to replace both gaskets while I'm doing it.

Also is there any routine maintenance or something I should replace while I have the rear floor board removed?

Thanks
20230325 115709
20230325 115728

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
2018 Pioneer 1000-5
Well last Friday while riding in WV the exhaust on my pioneer broke. Didn't know what it was but I knew it sounded like it was closer to the engine. Looked into it today and found one of the exhaust pipe gaskets at the engine blew (circled in pic).

I'm just looking for some advice on replacing the gasket. I'm thinking I need to take the exhaust apart first at the rear flange where the spring bolts are and then remove the end where it bolts to the engine. Any thoughts? I'm going to replace both gaskets while I'm doing it.

Also is there any routine maintenance or something I should replace while I have the rear floor board removed?

Thanks
View attachment 380372View attachment 380373
Looks like that's about it for taking it off, 6 bolts and that section will come right out 👍

🤔....now would be a good time for the CAT delete 😉

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm just looking for some advice on replacing the gasket.
Yeah wash that puppy first! 😂
will be alot easier. Then put some penetrating oil on any nuts and bolts and let it sit a bit. Usually the best way to do that type of repair on exhaust is to remove the whole thing or you will just be fighting it the whole time

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah wash that puppy first! 😂
will be alot easier. Then put some penetrating oil on any nuts and bolts and let it sit a bit. Usually the best way to do that type of repair on exhaust is to remove the whole thing or you will just be fighting it the whole time
Yea I just washed it. So you think I should remove the actual muffler also? Start at the back and work my way forward?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yea I just washed it. So you think I should remove the actual muffler also? Start at the back and work my way forward?
Youll have to look at it and asses what u think is best for you to work. But in 99% of the cases Ive had with working with exhausts, cuz the joints are like a “compression” style fitting and usually spring loaded at the bolts and stuff. This is all for a leak proof exhaust system, its easier to deal with repairs when its all removed or your gonna learn a new volger language many havent heard before;)

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
pics of washed area or it didn't happen, lol

agree with Remington, liberal amounts of Kroil, pbblaster, wd40, etc.

if it was me - id soak em for days and always tighten before loosen - exhaust studs and exhaust hardware can be maddening - like "snap" :eek:

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Some people cut it open and cut out the cat and replace it with a straight pipe. It sounds a little better and helps get rid of some of the heat held up by the cat in the rear. I don't have many more details as I haven't done it my self (yet).......soon as I get on my feet again will probly be the first thing I work on now that summer is coming up.

There's a thread or two on the subject buried here somewhere 👍

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
pics of washed area or it didn't happen, lol

agree with Remington, liberal amounts of Kroil, pbblaster, wd40, etc.

if it was me - id soak em for days and always tighten before loosen - exhaust studs and exhaust hardware can be maddening - like "snap" :eek:
Much better
20230325 143903

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't seen the gasket fail as it's a copper crush washer. I have seen header pipes crack on both talons and pioneers. I personally have had 2 of those little header heatshields crack next to the hose clamp and rattle like crazy.

I don't see any sooty black like you'd expect from an exhaust leak in your photo. Inspect the pipe for additional damage while you're in there

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't seen the gasket fail as it's a copper crush washer. I have seen header pipes crack on both talons and pioneers. I personally have had 2 of those little header heatshields crack next to the hose clamp and rattle like crazy.

I don't see any sooty black like you'd expect from an exhaust leak in your photo. Inspect the pipe for additional damage while you're in there
Yea I haven't read about the gasket failing either. I can feel it coming out around that gasket. I was expecting a cracked pipe

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm still kind of hoping for a cracked pipe. Would be a good excuse to get the HMF exhaust. Not really wanting to pay $600 but that's cheaper than stock exhaust.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some people cut it open and cut out the cat and replace it with a straight pipe. It sounds a little better and helps get rid of some of the heat held up by the cat in the rear. I don't have many more details as I haven't done it my self (yet).......soon as I get on my feet again will probly be the first thing I work on now that summer is coming up.

There's a thread or two on the subject buried here somewhere 👍
You don't have under seat fan and trigger shield? That solved the heat issue for me

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
full disclosure - I was losing my mind thinking work was gonna get done with that much yuck - lol
I know y'all don't know me but I defintely like my stuff clean. No way I'd take that exhaust out before pressure washing.
It bothers me that I don't take off the skid plate after each ride to clean underneath it. Ain't got time for that anymore though.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You don't have under seat fan and trigger shield? That solved the heat issue for me
Yeah, but I can't leave shît alone 😂 I think it'll be a good cheap mod that'll also do away with some more heat. Down in south FL any amount of less heat is always welcomed

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!