P1000 Cherry Red Exhaust

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Plugged as in the tip (NoHomo) in the tail pipe. There are some bolts that hold it in, if u remove it there is a spark arrester screen
guessing here, would suggest spark arrestor screen out and muffler off to check screen and for blockage - who knows

it appears to be very lean, should be a timing check procedure in service manual

B

beholdthefield

Lifetime Member
Aug 26, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like a question for @HondaTech? Just from listening to all the posts and being out in Colorado in 18 riding over the passes at almost 13,000 ft. I'm wondering if it needs the fuel air mixture need to be recalibrated for that altitude if it can be done. In those cold temps the engine may have never gotten hot, even not pulling high RPMS your tracks are working the fuel system pretty hard. My fuel consumption suffered at those high elevations. The air / fuel ratio was off?
I would love to hear from @HondaTech regarding the fuel mix that's best for my elevation at 11,000+ feet. I am also suspicious that the fan is not coming on to help cool the system. Wonder if @HondaTech has any advice on what might be causing that?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would love to hear from @HondaTech regarding the fuel mix that's best for my elevation at 11,000+ feet. I am also suspicious that the fan is not coming on to help cool the system. Wonder if @HondaTech has any advice on what might be causing that?
If you’re staying at 2 bars the fan is probably working properly

H

HondaTech

I cant say I've ever measured header temperature on a 1000 series engine. I do know that if held around 3-4k rpm sitting still in neutral (for instance trying to heat the engine up to get the fan to operate) the headers will glow cherry red, even in warmer temperatures. This happens on any of our units, I just had an atv do it while trying to get the fan on (by the way that temperature for that unit is 220 degrees Fahrenheit).

The higher elevation (and subsequent lower leaner air) coupled with lower outside temperatures and possibly higher rpm due to the tracks changing the final ratio could lead to this condition. I dont think your unit has anything actually wrong with it that any dealer is going to be able to repair.

P1Ks usually turn the fan on around the 220 degrees Fahrenheit as well. If your fan wasn't working, it would get hot quickly at those rpm and speeds. Holding 2 bars tells me the cooling system is working properly.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I cant say I've ever measured header temperature on a 1000 series engine. I do know that if held around 3-4k rpm sitting still in neutral (for instance trying to heat the engine up to get the fan to operate) the headers will glow cherry red, even in warmer temperatures. This happens on any of our units, I just had an atv do it while trying to get the fan on (by the way that temperature for that unit is 220 degrees Fahrenheit).

The higher elevation (and subsequent lower leaner air) coupled with lower outside temperatures and possibly higher rpm due to the tracks changing the final ratio could lead to this condition. I dont think your unit has anything actually wrong with it that any dealer is going to be able to repair.

P1Ks usually turn the fan on around the 220 degrees Fahrenheit as well. If your fan wasn't working, it would get hot quickly at those rpm and speeds. Holding 2 bars tells me the cooling system is working properly.
Can the air / fuel ratio be adjusted?

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Fuel injection (however crude) takes care the fuel/air ratio at varying altitudes and most modern engines are fired by a crank sensor and timed by the computer. IOW - there probably aren't any adjustments.

My Talon's fan will come on if I leave it idling for any period of time once warmed up. As an experiment, especially in cold temps, you can block the radiator to confirm the fan's operation. They're pretty loud and if you aren't wearing hearing protection you should be able to hear it runnning.

H

HondaTech

Fuel injection (however crude) takes care the fuel/air ratio at varying altitudes and most modern engines are fired by a crank sensor and timed by the computer. IOW - there probably aren't any adjustments.

My Talon's fan will come on if I leave it idling for any period of time once warmed up. As an experiment, especially in cold temps, you can block the radiator to confirm the fan's operation. They're pretty loud and if you aren't wearing hearing protection you should be able to hear it runnning.

The Honda system doesn't have anyway to read outside barometric pressure while running. It samples the pressure on start up and cant change until the key is cycled.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I think turning the engine off then turn the key on but don't start it for about a minute. If its running rich at the high elevation the key on engine off may help the ECU reduce the rich condition. A couple of the guys were talking about this reducing a rich condition.

B

beholdthefield

Lifetime Member
Aug 26, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think turning the engine off then turn the key on but don't start it for about a minute. If its running rich at the high elevation the key on engine off may help the ECU reduce the rich condition. A couple of the guys were talking about this reducing a rich condition.
Will try this tomorrow morning. A fix this simple would be ideal!

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did that a few times when new.I dont know about the the pipes but the muffler was red.On a diesel 1000-1100 exhaust temp on a hard pull is pretty normal.I would drop back on your octane some.At your outside temps i dont think you have a cooling problem at a mile or two from the house your cooling system is not even up to operating temp i know you have 2 bars but your rad could be stone cold.And not needing the fan yet at 3 bars your fan should be running

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine did that a few times when new. I don't know about the pipes but the muffler was red. On a diesel 1000-1100 exhaust temp on a hard pull is pretty normal. I would drop back on your octane some. At your outside temps I don't think you have a cooling problem at a mile or two from the house your cooling system is not even up to operating temp I know you have 2 bars but your rad could be stone cold. And not needing the fan yet at 3 bars your fan should be running.
I vaguely remember something about using 'too much' octane not being a good thing and it was heat related, something to do with burn rate. The Talon is rated at 86 and that's all I put in it. Add the OP's extreme elevation and there's no need for 91. Try a tank or two of your lowest pump grade and see if that makes a difference.

I haven't used an IR thermometer to read temps at the head so I can't comment on those numbers. Glowing exhausts aren't all that uncommon because our OHV's have single wall construction but I'd want to make sure the fan is cycling normally.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!