P1000 Dreaded Exhaust Chirp Question

bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hey all, at about 300 miles on my brand new 21 P1k5-d, the little bird started in the exhaust. after enough "dad what's that noise?" questions from my kids, i'm motivated to kill the bird once and for all!

i've read just about every post on this forum about the repair and ordered some graphite exhaust tape to wrap the front pipe with at the joint. going to try that first - others posted anti-seize (not sure what that even is) - i assume some sort of high-temp grease?

others mentioned installing 1-3/4" clamp with some automotive style clamp to keep the movement down. so questions are:
1. where do i get this clamp?
2. where do i install it exactly? some posts mention installing it on the "over the metal ring on the front half of the exhaust". not sure if that's a P700 thing but I don't see where it could go on mine. (pic of the front/rear exhaust joint (front to the right) - just so i dont get any "it didnt happen" comments 😂 )

There was another post (i can't find it now) where someone said to do the following - i might try this while the graphite tape is in transit:
1. drive until the chirp starts
2. loosen the exhaust clamp
3. drive a little more until chirp is gone
4. stop and retighten the bolts
5. drive some more
6. repeat 1-4 above only if the chirp returns
(the post mentioned something about front clamp bolt and rear clamp bolt - not sure where another one is)

Any comments/answers/experience/jokes appreciated! Thanks all!

6HomClugT i bbmXGi7M1g

rubyred16

rubyred16

Aug 24, 2018
troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm all ears I think mine started after a cat delete. I can put my foot on the pipe and it goes away so some alignment issue or movement must be happening. Not the end of the world but annoying!!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm all ears I think mine started after a cat delete. I can put my foot on the pipe and it goes away so some alignment issue or movement must be happening. Not the end of the world but annoying!!
Try tightening some clamps/bolts in the system

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I do know they are snug at the muffler flange those are the only ones I touched.
Try backing them all the way out a little bit of anti seize on the threads and the Springs then tighten it back up. The heat from exhaust tends to dry out bolts and springs and stuff allows things to squeak

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That's enough to do 11dy million sxs's. They make it is a small tube also! 🤣
I know right 😂
I've had a container like that for probably about 7 years lol that was awful it came up for a good picture though. At least they got their attention to LOL

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know right 😂
I've had a container like that for probably about 7 years lol that was awful it came up for a good picture though. At least they got their attention to LOL
I had one so long that the brush came loose from the cap. That stuff gets everywhere, a little dab will do. To the original poster, they make anti-seize in a small tube and you can find it at most auto parts stores. Fortunately I have never had an exhaust chirp on my P1000. I would look at that springloaded flange on the exhaust. You might need to disassemble it and coat the bolts,mating flanges and springs with antiseize if that's where the chirp is coming from.

bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks @Remington and @rubyred16 ! i saw the pic and was like "wait i've seen that before...off to the junk pile on the shelf next to my tool bench!!" hopefully i can find it...i don't need another 25 year supply!! 😂

stay tuned! the tape is still on order (already shipped and can't cancel - f@&K) but hey if the grease (i mean ANTI SIEZE LUBRICANT) doesn't work i'll try that next!

bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok so fix is done...pics or it didn't happen ya ya ya!
those bolts have way more thread than they need!!
got them out, then the pipes didnt move much (even with the hangers), so i used a ratched strap to pull the rear exhaust back and spread that baby apart like a...you know what!
greased her up, then also pasted the bolts and springs. silver surfer juice everywhere!
that heat shield fit my guns nicely...breast, i mean arm plate of righteousness!
we'll see how it works..ran out of time today to take it for a spin but tomorrow we'll find out the verdict!
thanks as always y'all!!!

1 2 3 4

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
ok so fix is done...pics or it didn't happen ya ya ya!
those bolts have way more thread than they need!!
got them out, then the pipes didnt move much (even with the hangers), so i used a ratched strap to pull the rear exhaust back and spread that baby apart like a...you know what!
greased her up, then also pasted the bolts and springs. silver surfer juice everywhere!
that heat shield fit my guns nicely...breast, i mean arm plate of righteousness!
we'll see how it works..ran out of time today to take it for a spin but tomorrow we'll find out the verdict!
thanks as always y'all!!!

View attachment 326202 View attachment 326203 View attachment 326204 View attachment 326205
Looks good! That cap gets all over.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!