P1000 Self-Levelling suspension

D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Morning everyone,
After reading through my owners manual I have found very little info on how the rear suspension self levels.
Can someone on here please explain to me how the self levelling suspension system works on the 2023 P1K-5?
I am getting some really strange wear on my right rear tire compared to the left rear, I had it in to the dealership and they say everything checks out as normal. I feel like the rear end is sagging a bit, but there are no adjustments on the shocks to raise the pre-load on the springs. This would lead me to believe that I have the self-levelling shocks but I just can't seem to figure out how they work. I will get some pics of tire wear and camber today.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Morning everyone,
After reading through my owners manual I have found very little info on how the rear suspension self levels.
Can someone on here please explain to me how the self levelling suspension system works on the 2023 P1K-5?
I am getting some really strange wear on my right rear tire compared to the left rear, I had it in to the dealership and they say everything checks out as normal. I feel like the rear end is sagging a bit, but there are no adjustments on the shocks to raise the pre-load on the springs. This would lead me to believe that I have the self-levelling shocks but I just can't seem to figure out how they work. I will get some pics of tire wear and camber today.
There was a good video posted on here a couple of years ago about how they work. You might be able to find it in the search. It wasn’t specific to Honda IIRC but it was the same concept that Honda’s use.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Morning everyone,
The camber on the stock A arms suck.
There is no adjustment. A top toe in camber on a stock machine is very normal and some $hitty tire ware can occur depending on where your riding particularly on pavement. The best way to fix that is aftermarket arms that you can adjust the camber.

The self leveling shock is just that. Its for when u have a load in the back. Not to help for cornering or fixing camber.
I haul split logs in mine and thats alot of weight. When I swaped out those stock shock teeth filling looseners with a Fox qs3 upgrade and are NOT self leveling, honestly never noticed the difference when hauling.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is no adjustment. A top toe in camber on a stock machine is very normal and some $hitty tire ware can occur depending on where your riding particularly on pavement. The best way to fix that is aftermarket arms that you can adjust the camber.

The self leveling shock is just that. Its for when u have a load in the back. Not to help for cornering or fixing camber.
I haul split logs in mine and thats alot of weight. When I swaped out those stock shock teeth filling looseners with a Fox qs3 upgrade and are NOT self leveling, honestly never noticed the difference when hauling.
I'm in North western Ontario, I haul firewood with this machine several times a week Both in the bed and in a trailer. 80% of its life has been off road use including trails and even the ice of lake superior. The other 20% is a mix of rural roads that are either chip sealed or gravel.

D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think that I will be putting some cash away towards the SATV control arms front and rear as well as going to an Elka stage 3 all the way around.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that I will be putting some cash away towards the SATV control arms front and rear as well as going to an Elka stage 3 all the way around.
You won't believe how much better it rides when you change out those shocks.

If you're not going with bigger tires, do the shocks first. You'll be able to get your camber where you want it with preload.

D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You won't believe how much better it rides when you change out those shocks.

If you're not going with bigger tires, do the shocks first. You'll be able to get your camber where you want it with preload.
I do want to be able to clear a 30" tire at some point, a lot of the trails around here require more than 12" of ground clearance to navigate. *Without dragging your frame over each obstacle. I will likely order the arms first, then shocks, and finally tires (maybe rims too but I like the Honda ones) and do a complete suspension overhaul all at once.

Reactions: Rayger143 and TxDoc
D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok I know it has been more than a couple days but I finally got the Pioneer in the garage to take some measurements. As promised here are some detailed pictures of the tires to show the odd wear. Like I said before the normal wear is rear left, abnormal wear is rear right.

PXL 20240307 204946738 PXL 20240307 204956661

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
ok I know it has been more than a couple days but I finally got the Pioneer in the garage to take some measurements. As promised here are some detailed pictures of the tires to show the odd wear. Like I said before the normal wear is rear left, abnormal wear is rear right.

View attachment 420513 View attachment 420514
What tire pressure u runnin?
Still looks like a product of the stock camber and them tires they were puttin on over the Bighorns during the scamdemic

Reactions: TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
16PSI in the tires, well within the acceptable range.
Negative there ghost rider!
Id be running 12-13 max and thats a generous max!
Most of us are at 10psi max. Drop one side down to 10 and look at the difference in where your tread lays compared to the 16psi tire. Might answer your own question

Reactions: TxDoc and trigger
D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5
depending on the tire I have run anywhere from 6psi up to 20psi on ATV tires
the max inflation pressure is listed at 35PSI which I realize is for seating the bead.
I had the tires at 10 and when it went into the dealer for this issue told me it was waaay too low and inflated the tires to 16.
tire pressure isn't going to change the fact that I have a wheel that is misaligned to the point that it is dragging all the time.
I'm new-ish to Hondas but I ran the parts and service departments for a BRP dealer for 3 years, not new to the industry

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
depending on the tire I have run anywhere from 6psi up to 20psi on ATV tires
the max inflation pressure is listed at 35PSI which I realize is for seating the bead.
I had the tires at 10 and when it went into the dealer for this issue told me it was waaay too low and inflated the tires to 16.
tire pressure isn't going to change the fact that I have a wheel that is misaligned to the point that it is dragging all the time.
I'm new-ish to Hondas but I ran the parts and service departments for a BRP dealer for 3 years, not new to the industry
You might have a slightly bent a-arm. That or possibly a warped wheel.....(But I think you'd notice the wobble if so)

If it's still under warranty I'd say bring it in and let them find the issue(s) if not under warranty, I'd try to find a buddy that could lend you a spare rear a-arm just to rule that out as a possibility. I'd say swap wheels to opposite side but your tires are directional so you'd have to unmount/mount them 2x

As far as your original question: I don't think the shocks are the issue 🤷‍♂️

D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might have a slightly bent a-arm. That or possibly a warped wheel.....(But I think you'd notice the wobble if so)

If it's still under warranty I'd say bring it in and let them find the issue(s) if not under warranty, I'd try to find a buddy that could lend you a spare rear a-arm just to rule that out as a possibility. I'd say swap wheels to opposite side but your tires are directional so you'd have to unmount/mount them 2x

As far as your original question: I don't think the shocks are the issue 🤷‍♂️

the wheel runs true on the machine no wobble at all... and it's already been into the dealer for this under warranty. I was told the tire pressure was too low and sent on my way.

I measures the distance between the center of the bolt on the frame out to the center of the bolts at the wheel hub everything matches compared to the opposite side within <1/16"

Originally I was concerned that maybe one shock wasn't developing pressure as it should under load, which is why I was asking the question. After further inspection the shocks are fine.

The only remaining thoughts I have are that the ears could be welded onto the frame in the wrong location or that the wheel hub casting is off somehow? I will tear into it more tomorrow

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!