P1000 Cherry Red Exhaust

B

beholdthefield

Lifetime Member
Aug 26, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Problem: Both exhaust pipes are glowing red after driving for 10-15 minutes. My infrared thermometer reads that the temperature near the head is 730°F to 750°F (387°C to 398°C). The temperature gauge on the dash reads C █ █ _ _ H and I have never even seen it go any higher than that. I have also never seen a warning light come on.
Model: 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000-3 Deluxe
Mileage: 15 - That's it. This is a brand new machine that I purchased from a dealer
Modifications: Camso 4S1 tracks, Hard Roof, Hard Doors, Hard Rear Panel, Glass Windshield, Windshield Wiper Kit, Side Mirrors, Heater, Front Fender Flares, Dual Battery System (Odyssey Main Battery, Odyssey Auxiliary Battery, Stringer Battery Relay, True Isolator, 12-Way Marine Fuse Box)
Driving Conditions: My house is 2 miles from my garage. There is 1.500' of elevation gain from the garage to the house. In summer, I park at the garage (elevation is 9,500') and drive the SXS up a 4x4 dirt road to my house (elevation is 11,000') using wheels. In winter, I make the same drive over snow using Camso 4S1 tracks. It is still very much winter at my house. Air temps have been between 0°F and 20°F (-17°C and -6°C) each time I have seen the glowing red pipes.
What I Have Tried, So Far: The factory HP Coolant has been drained, bled, and topped off twice following the method in the Honda Service Manual. The radiator is full of HP Coolant and the overflow tank is at the 'max' line. I saw this post by doug224 that sounded like my exact issue, so I tired replacing both OEM spark plugs and saw no improvement. I am at a complete loss where to go from here and a Honda dealer is not close to help.

001 002 003 004 005 006

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thats pretty hot! My conclusion is you have a new rig with factory oils on the parts that will burn off and tracs. You run insane RPMs for tracs that will get your machine hot and i would imagine your exhaust as well.
Nice rig BTW

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Problem: Both exhaust pipes are glowing red after driving for 10-15 minutes. My infrared thermometer reads that the temperature near the head is 730°F to 750°F (387°C to 398°C). The temperature gauge on the dash reads C █ █ _ _ H and I have never even seen it go any higher than that. I have also never seen a warning light come on.
Model: 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000-3 Deluxe
Mileage: 15 - That's it. This is a brand new machine that I purchased from a dealer
Modifications: Camso 4S1 tracks, Hard Roof, Hard Doors, Hard Rear Panel, Glass Windshield, Windshield Wiper Kit, Side Mirrors, Heater, Front Fender Flares, Dual Battery System (Odyssey Main Battery, Odyssey Auxiliary Battery, Stringer Battery Relay, True Isolator, 12-Way Marine Fuse Box)
Driving Conditions: My house is 2 miles from my garage. There is 1.500' of elevation gain from the garage to the house. In summer, I park at the garage (elevation is 9,500') and drive the SXS up a 4x4 dirt road to my house (elevation is 11,000') using wheels. In winter, I make the same drive over snow using Camso 4S1 tracks. It is still very much winter at my house. Air temps have been between 0°F and 20°F (-17°C and -6°C) each time I have seen the glowing red pipes.
What I Have Tried, So Far: The factory HP Coolant has been drained, bled, and topped off twice following the method in the Honda Service Manual. The radiator is full of HP Coolant and the overflow tank is at the 'max' line. I saw this post by doug224 that sounded like my exact issue, so I tired replacing both OEM spark plugs and saw no improvement. I am at a complete loss where to go from here and a Honda dealer is not close to help.

View attachment 382338 View attachment 382339 View attachment 382340 View attachment 382341 View attachment 382342 View attachment 382343
Did you by any chance put to much fuel stabilizer in the fuel, that will cherry exhaust headers?

B

beholdthefield

Lifetime Member
Aug 26, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thats pretty hot! My conclusion is you have a new rig with factory oils on the parts that will burn off and tracs. You run insane RPMs for tracs that will get your machine hot and i would imagine your exhaust as well.
Nice rig BTW
I should have add that I am keeping the RPMs between 3 and 4 MOST of the time. Rarely need to go higher than that to make it home.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
exhaust isn’t plugged anywhere?

check timing?

I get its new...but you asked

btw = outstanding pics and data - nice rig

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I can't find anything blocking the exhaust, and the muffler seems normal.

"Check timing?" - Not sure I follow you here...
Plugged as in the tip (NoHomo) in the tail pipe. There are some bolts that hold it in, if u remove it there is a spark arrester screen

B

beholdthefield

Lifetime Member
Aug 26, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
stupid question, your running the tracks in 4x4 and in low range? or high? first thing that comes to mind is elevation and working the snot out of it.
4x4 with the transmission in high. I am all ears if you have suggestions that will improve how the machine works at elevation. The garage (9500') to the house (11,000') is about 2 miles. I have been taking it easy with the new machine, so RPMs have been ~4 almost the entire trip up/down.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The idle temperature of the exhaust is ~450°F near the cylinders where I took the 730°F-750°F readings.
Sounds like a question for @HondaTech? Just from listening to all the posts and being out in Colorado in 18 riding over the passes at almost 13,000 ft. I'm wondering if it needs the fuel air mixture need to be recalibrated for that altitude if it can be done. In those cold temps the engine may have never gotten hot, even not pulling high RPMS your tracks are working the fuel system pretty hard. My fuel consumption suffered at those high elevations. The air / fuel ratio was off?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sounds like a question for @HondaTech? Just from listening to all the posts and being out in Colorado in 18 riding over the passes at almost 13,000 ft. I'm wondering if it needs the fuel air mixture need to be recalibrated for that altitude if it can be done. In those cold temps the engine may have never gotten hot, even not pulling high RPMS your tracks are working the fuel system pretty hard. My fuel consumption suffered at those high elevations. The air / fuel ratio was off?
A combustion analyzer would tell you?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!