P500 2017 P500 Trans Kicks out of gear under load

P

Pioneer 5hundo

May 4, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Hello Everyone,

I have a Pioneer 500 2017 model with less than a 1,000 miles in it. For some reason while driving under load the transmission will kick out of gear and free rev. I can reach up and hit the paddle shifter and up shift or down shift and it will re-engage to a gear. It will do this in automatic mode or manual shift. It doesn’t happen all the time, probably 15% of the time. It’s annoying as hell. Honda local dealer checked clutch adjustment and advised it was in spec.

The advised they hadn’t seen this problem before and called a regional rep and same there. Overall I wasn’t confident in their trouble shooting and estimate for repairs. I can get a shop manual and I am not afraid to tear into it. If anyone has any experience on a common area for failure to look at that would be great. I can shoot a quick video and upload on youtube if that helps.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Will

Reactions: TxDoc
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello Everyone,

I have a Pioneer 500 2017 model with less than a 1,000 miles in it. For some reason while driving under load the transmission will kick out of gear and free rev. I can reach up and hit the paddle shifter and up shift or down shift and it will re-engage to a gear. It will do this in automatic mode or manual shift. It doesn’t happen all the time, probably 15% of the time. It’s annoying as hell. Honda local dealer checked clutch adjustment and advised it was in spec.

The advised they hadn’t seen this problem before and called a regional rep and same there. Overall I wasn’t confident in their trouble shooting and estimate for repairs. I can get a shop manual and I am not afraid to tear into it. If anyone has any experience on a common area for failure to look at that would be great. I can shoot a quick video and upload on youtube if that helps.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Will

Clutch adjustment can be very sensitive regardless of being in spec. Do it yourself, it's really easy.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Agree with Trigger, its a fine tuning effort with the adjustment crew, slight 1/8 turn and trial ride, repeat. Make sure oil level is good and engine up to riding temps. Worth the first effort with fingers crossed thats it not something worst.

Reactions: trigger
P

Pioneer 5hundo

May 4, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies.

Got the honda manual out and did the clutch adjustment, tried several adjustments as recommended. Unfortunately the same problem is there. It seems to be worse when running partial throttle say 25%. Typically right at the up shift it misses the next gear and free revs. Click the paddle shift up or down and it recovers. Not sure if its some sort of synchro or what it might be? Not sure if there is a common part that fails in these transmission?

Its frustrating because its one heck of a small trail rig.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: Mudder and trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!