P700 2017 P700-2 Antifreeze leaks around head gaskets.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well several folks have been asking me about this...so I am going to try and do a write up.. I actually found the "old" gasket that came out, and then I started remembering what the issue really was and the steps I did to fix it...This is for a coolant leak at the thermostat housing leaking down by the cylinder...
PICTURE OF THE GASKET BELOW. YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE MISSING RUBBER..THIS IS WHAT CAUSES THE LEAK. -- I think it is a defect from the factory. The missing piece is cut out so precise..not like it was pinched or something.
So here goes my best at the write up:
1. Cold engine
2. Remove radiator cap (not sure if this is necessary, but I did)
3. Remove the air intake from the airbox so that it is out of your way.
4. Remove the black plastic left hand side cover so you can get to the thermostat housing on top of the engine.
5. Get rags and stuff down around the bottom of the cylinder and anywhere you can get them to catch the fluid.
6. Remove the 8mm bolts that hold on the t-stat housing ( be careful not to drop). Coolant will begin to leak out as you are removing.
7. Move the top part of the housing out of your way.
8. Now you can see the t-stat and gasket. Remove the t-stat. Notice how it is sitting in there with the bleed hole lined up with the notch or hump on the outside of the housing. You will see what I'm talking about when you open it up.
9. There may be some residue so, Clean the top of the housing where the gasket sits and the bottom housing where the gasket sits.
10. Remove the old gasket from the t-stat. The gasket has a grove and slides into the t-stat.
11. Pour some coolant on the new gasket and slide it on the t-stat
12. Gasket part number for a 2017 P700 (probably same for other years, but check): HONDA OEM 19305-KV3-010
13. Replace t-stat in housing making SURE to LINE UP THE BLEED HOLE WITH THE NOTCH ON THE HOUSING. Make sure the gasket sits flush with the housing base.
14. Replace the housing bolts and tighten to 9 ft lbs. Go easy remember its aluminum.
15. Replace lost coolant. Fill radiator to the top and put rad cap on.
16. On top of the t-stat housing is the "bleed" screw 10mm. Loosen this up. If you have a new copper sealing washer then put a new washer on it and screw it back in a little, but not all the way.
17. Start engine and watch the bleed screw. Rev it up a few times during this warm up period. Keep watching the screw. You will see bubbles
18. When you see a steady stream of coolant, then screw the bolt in and tighten to 9 ft lbs.
19. Wipe up all the spilled coolant and let it continue to warm up. Watch for any leaks...You should not have any.
20. You are done and your problem is solved.

IMG 0656

Last edited:
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well several folks have been asking me about this...so I am going to try and do a write up.. I actually found the "old" gasket that came out, and then I started remembering what the issue really was and the steps I did to fix it...This is for a coolant leak at the thermostat housing leaking down by the cylinder...
PICTURE OF THE GASKET BELOW. YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE MISSING RUBBER..THIS IS WHAT CAUSES THE LEAK. -- I think it is a defect from the factory. The missing piece is cut out so precise..not like it was pinched or something.
1. Cold engine
4. Remove the black plastic left hand side cover so you can get to the thermostat housing on top of the engine.
5. Get rags and stuff down around the bottom of the cylinder and anywhere you can get them to catch the fluid.
6. Remove the 8mm bolts that hold on the t-stat housing ( be careful not to drop). Coolant will begin to leak out as you are removing.
8. Now you can see the t-stat and gasket. Remove the t-stat. Notice how it is sitting in there with the bleed hole lined up with the notch or hump on the outside of the housing. You will see what I'm talking about when you open it up.
9. There may be some residue so, Clean the top of the housing where the gasket sits and the bottom housing where the gasket sits.
10. Remove the old gasket from the t-stat. The gasket has a grove and slides into the t-stat.
12. Gasket part number for a 2017 P700 (probably same for other years, but check): HONDA OEM 19305-KV3-010
13. Replace t-stat in housing making SURE to LINE UP THE BLEED HOLE WITH THE NOTCH ON THE HOUSING. Make sure the gasket sits flush with the housing base.
14. Replace the housing bolts and tighten to 9 ft lbs. Go easy remember its aluminum.
16. On top of the t-stat housing is the "bleed" screw 10mm. Loosen this up. If you have a new copper sealing washer then put a new washer on it and screw it back in a little, but not all the way.
17. Start engine and watch the bleed screw. Rev it up a few times during this warm up period. Keep watching the screw. You will see bubbles
18. When you see a steady stream of coolant, then screw the bolt in and tighten to 9 ft lbs.
19. Wipe up all the spilled coolant and let it continue to warm up. Watch for any leaks...You should not have any.

View attachment 62612

Glad this write up helped to all the folks that PM'ed me...Glad to help !!

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
We have a 700 as well. Haven't had this issue so far but now have a good explanation of how to fix if/when we do.
Thanks for taking the time to write it up

Reactions: Deluxe700
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Deluxe700, how much coolant did you use to fill after the repair?

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Deluxe700, how much coolant did you use to fill after the repair?
Not sure exactly in ounces...I know it was less than a quart of the Pro Honda HP Coolant... Once I got the "fix" done...I just went up front and filled up the radiator...then bled the system....then topped off...but I know it was less than a bottle of the Honda HP Coolant, quart.

Reactions: Mudwing
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This thread has really kicked my ocd into high gear! I have checked every hose on my bike... no leaks...

Reactions: Deluxe700
E

Elitebowman

Jan 3, 2019
New York
Ownership

1. 700-2
1. Cold engine

View attachment 62612
Hi, I just bought a Honda Pioneer 700. It is a 2018. It only has around 300 miles on it. I smelled anti-freeze last week one day, and today I did too. I noticed I am low. So I will be looking my machine over tomorrow. Honestly, I have no clue about this machine. I have only owned a Honda 1991 Fourtrax 300. So I will have to look this over. Thank you for writing this, something for me to look into.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi, I just bought a Honda Pioneer 700. It is a 2018. It only has around 300 miles on it. I smelled anti-freeze last week one day, and today I did too. I noticed I am low. So I will be looking my machine over tomorrow. Honestly, I have no clue about this machine. I have only owned a Honda 1991 Fourtrax 300. So I will have to look this over. Thank you for writing this, something for me to look into.

Before you tear into it, try and locate the leak. Check all hoses for tightness. I noticed dried antifreeze on the block when mine leaked.

Reactions: swsebek

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!