P700 2017 P700-2 Antifreeze leaks around head gaskets.

Thedirkster

Thedirkster

Nov 4, 2017
Ceres, Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
I JUST purchased a 2017 P700-2 2 weeks back. Since then it has been sitting in garage as haven't had time to ride. When purchased it had 5 miles on it, now it has 7. Basically to and from mail box. Upon return from mail box this morning I decided to check the oil and look around to more familiarize myself with the machine as I was thinking on adding accessories.

What I found was what appears to be antifreeze leaking out of all the head gaskets (see pictures). Are you kidding me? Is this normal? I keep trying dealer but nothing from Salesman as of yet. I have a feel I'm going to get stuck with a problem prone lemon. Out of ALL of my Hondas this is the first time I've ever had an issue.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts ???

The Dirkster...

Antifreeze1 Antifreeze2

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm not sure about that. Give it a good lick and see if it's sweet. Looks more like somekind of cleaner or something else they didn't clean off. That was antifreeze you would taste it in the air when warmed up.

Last edited:
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
It looks like it's dried up. I'd try to get dealer to look at it, in order to document it. I'd also check my coolant level so I don't cause more damage. I'd also keep driving to shake loose any problems, it's still under warranty. And last thing, how far is your mailbox from your house?!

Thedirkster

Thedirkster

Nov 4, 2017
Ceres, Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
1) Coolant level is within range in reservoir.
2) Mailbox is 600 feet from garage.
3) Pictures don't do it must justice, but all places where gaskets are have the blueish "stuff".

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The seam below the lower plug and the coolant temp sensor is the head gasket. It's leaking from above that. That's good.

If I had to guess, either the o ring in the t-stat or where the hose attaches to the t- stat housing. Could also be that someone left the bleeder screw not quite tight as well. Simple fixes that your dealer will have no problem with when you make them fix it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The seam below the lower plug and the coolant temp sensor is the head gasket. It's leaking from above that. That's good.

If I had to guess, either the o ring in the t-stat or where the hose attaches to the t- stat housing. Could also be that someone left the bleeder screw not quite tight as well. Simple fixes that your dealer will have no problem with when you make them fix it.
There is residue on the thermostat housing. If its dry, I would document and clean it up.
Could be as simple as them not cleaning up when after a coolant air bleed.

Thedirkster

Thedirkster

Nov 4, 2017
Ceres, Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
PROBLEM RESOLVED - I took the buggy into the dealer. They discovered the leak was indeed coming from the T-stat housing. Apparently the t-stat has an oval offset about it, and if it isn't seated "just so" - to spec it causes a leak. Dealership called around nationally and this problem has been 'registered' before. The anomaly comes when tightening things down to the oval shaped T-stat can turn and end up not seating itself correctly - causing the leak. Please DO NOT quote me hear but I do believe this issue is unique to the 2017's from what I gathered from the dealership......Which by the way was awesome.

I'd like to thank EVERYONE for their input in helping me resolve this issue....Now back at looking for accessories to add on......:)

The Dirkster...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
PROBLEM RESOLVED - I took the buggy into the dealer. They discovered the leak was indeed coming from the T-stat housing. Apparently the t-stat has an oval offset about it, and if it isn't seated "just so" - to spec it causes a leak. Dealership called around nationally and this problem has been 'registered' before. The anomaly comes when tightening things down to the oval shaped T-stat can turn and end up not seating itself correctly - causing the leak. Please DO NOT quote me hear but I do believe this issue is unique to the 2017's from what I gathered from the dealership......Which by the way was awesome.

I'd like to thank EVERYONE for their input in helping me resolve this issue....Now back at looking for accessories to add on......:)

The Dirkster...
I was going to mention in my 1st post that someone on FB a few days ago had mentioned a tstat housing leak. I believe it was also a 2017.

Glad they got it fixed for you.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info... I have not noticed anything on mine, but I will keep a sharp eye out...

Reactions: Mudwing
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine developed this issue .. Mine is a 2017.

T-stat housing... I went ahead and put in a new o-ring gasket as well.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did it myself....could have taken in under warranty...but it is really not that big of a deal to fix yourself. If it had still leaked, I would have taken it in..

Reactions: swsebek and Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’d hate to say but mine has a leak too. Did you need to purchase coolant, also? I think I’m going to take care of it myself after it warms up a bit.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Don't sweat it...once you take off enough stuff to be able to get in there and see it..and get to it...better -- It will make sense how to fix it. You have to line up the the "bleed hole" with the "lug" or raised nipple on the housing. You will see the lug on the side of the housing. I don't think I used much anti-freeze. Just take the radiator cap off before you start so there is not pressure on the system. You can always bleed the system using the bolt on top of the housing once you have it all back together if you think there may be air in there.
9 ft pounds is all you need to tighten the t-stat housing bolts (2) up to.. Don't get too heavy with them. check the rubber o-ring when you are in there and make sure it looks good. If your not sure if it is good...replace...it's only a couple dollars for a new one.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Don't sweat it...once you take off enough stuff to be able to get in there and see it..and get to it...better -- It will make sense how to fix it. You have to line up the the "bleed hole" with the "lug" or raised nipple on the housing. You will see the lug on the side of the housing. I don't think I used much anti-freeze. Just take the radiator cap off before you start so there is not pressure on the system. You can always bleed the system using the bolt on top of the housing once you have it all back together if you think there may be air in there.
9 ft pounds is all you need to tighten the t-stat housing bolts (2) up to.. Don't get too heavy with them. check the rubber o-ring when you are in there and make sure it looks good. If your not sure if it is good...replace...it's only a couple dollars for a new one.
So the t-stat housing isn't clocked right and thats causing it? Not a pinched O-ring?

Seems like about 1 a week pops up on FB with this...

Reactions: Mudwing
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think that is it..the alignment is not correct. The O ring looked OK, but I replaced it anyway. You have line up the bleed hole with the lug on the housing...and...make sure the o ring is seated correctly.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4

Thanks! I’m gonna grab the o ring and coolant soon. I’ll update soon!

Reactions: Deluxe700

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!