P1000 2017 Pioneer 1000 Electric Fan causing overheat

CoachRoss07

CoachRoss07

Aug 13, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am currently an owner of a 2018 P1K with no issues but i also only have a whopping 191 miles on mine. However, i have a buddy that has a 2017 MY. He has taken it to the dealer a couple times to no avail. They have replaced the module and i want to say something else but not sure. I guess what i want to know is if it is a pcm issue what was corrected from the 17 to 18 MY because it worries me to no end. Especially considering the dealer pretty much has summed it up to "honda is working on a fix" and the dealers response is there isn't anything were gonna do about it.

Kinda scary....

My buddy is to his witts end with honda because in his mind he's paying for a 17K vehicle and no one is standing behind it. Honda tells them to shut it off then restart it and the fan then engages but that kinda would get old after awhile.

Btw he also had to have the injector wires replaced after they burned up. Honda replaced them no question....

Anyone else found any concrete solutions for this problem?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Few solutions in the works for a manual fan override.
If he is having the fan control module problem then the manual override will be the best fix.
But if it has air in the system nothing is going to fix it until its out.

Here is a post thrown together with the helpful info on this topic. P1000 - Overheating Hot Topic! - Issues, Problems, Solutions and more problems.
Check out post #8. I was with Hazard and confirmed it worked.

H

HondaTech

An easy way to determine if trapped air is the problem:

If your temperature light is on and the fan is running after only a short while, especially if the unit is idling, feel the radiator cap. Make sure and check that its not burning hot first. If the radiator cap is cold or not at all warm then air is trapped and not allowing the hot coolant to be pushed through to radiator.
I've had this happen on a couple units when doing a repair that needed the coolant drained. The bleed bolt on the t-stat housing is the best way to bleed these.
What seems to be the issue here is the aforementioned fan control fault in the pcm. I'd say its not been corrected on the '18 yet since their just now acknowledging that an issue exist. If they had a fix that was applied to the '18 and '19 models then they'd release that fix for the '16 and '17 models.
We have the equipment to update ECM/PCMs now, so I see that being a quick easy fix if that is an option.

CoachRoss07

CoachRoss07

Aug 13, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really appreciate you guys responses. Its been a way better response than what he has gotten from Honda. I just hate to see him cross the road to go Polaris and he is seriously thinking about it. I bleed honda red and i honestly don't wanna see no one leave Honda. Hurts me...bad! Lol

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Burp it burp it again and add a manual over ride for the fan. If he has a big winch bumper cut some vent holes in it. I have had overheating problems for the first year plus that I owned mine. And I’m talking bad overheating

I replaced, hoses, temp sensors, thermostats and hung it straight up and down in my lift while I cussed at it. Then I cute a big vent in the aftermarket bumper and cleaned the radiator with a tractor genie wand and the stuff you use on ac coils and I haven’t had a problem.

I can tell you if that didn’t work there is a griffin radiator and electric fan combo that is about twice as thick as the current Honda one but thankfully the above mentioned steps worked

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Burp it burp it again and add a manual over ride for the fan. If he has a big winch bumper cut some vent holes in it. I have had overheating problems for the first year plus that I owned mine. And I’m talking bad overheating

I replaced, hoses, temp sensors, thermostats and hung it straight up and down in my lift while I cussed at it. Then I cute a big vent in the aftermarket bumper and cleaned the radiator with a tractor genie wand and the stuff you use on ac coils and I haven’t had a problem.

I can tell you if that didn’t work there is a griffin radiator and electric fan combo that is about twice as thick as the current Honda one but thankfully the above mentioned steps worked
Do you know which griffin radiator is a direct fit?

Reactions: TimG
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
you would probably have to do a bit of fabing to get it mounted in there but its a similar size

CoachRoss07

CoachRoss07

Aug 13, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you would probably have to do a bit of fabing to get it mounted in there but its a similar size

Well he hates to tear into something that still has a warranty on it. I mean i would too, honestly. Were hoping for a Genuine Honda fix i guess....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!