P1000m5 2019 HP1K5 overheat issue

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never really had a problem with my buggy overheating, mostly because we don’t ride long distances, but after the ‘23 TO, and a more recent ride locally, it’s got me thinking.
After the ‘23 TO I installed a Radiator Fan override switch hoping it would help and it hasn’t, now I can just have the fan running non stop, but she still runs 3 bars and eventually 4 bars with the red light on the dash. While on our way back to camp, I removed the bumper bash plate, and hood to allow more airflow to sufficiently cool it down, it helped a little, but it was still at 3 bars on the temp gauge. I with help, flushed the radiator cooling fins from behind with a radiator cleaner nozzle. it seemed to have helped a little bit, but still runs hot. My next few steps are to flush the coolant, refill, burp and bleed the cooling system.
I wound up creating some airflow holes in my Slasher bumper bash plate, hoping it'd help, I also plan to cut out where it says slasher allowing for more airflow and also to make it easier to spray the radiator fins.
Any thoughts, or recommendations are appreciated. B4309b57c3bca4ea64483cee49d7850a
. 92b571536e8bc9d0b90e52aa0ac5793b

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What year is yours?
My similar setup has been through it all, I have never overheated and even have the "slasher" covered on mine.

Have you done the steep incline burp?
Run it up a hill or winch the front up very high and let it idle for a bit. Leave the radiator cap on as it needs pressure to not boil over at temp.

I still find it odd that some will overheat quickly while others are fine.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
cooling fins from behind with a radiator cleaner nozzle.
Do it from front and rear with a power washer preferably hot water.

Side note, on some older threads there were folks over heating. Turned out to be that bumper and winch, not getting enough air flow especially once u get mud/muck in there. Just for $hits and giggles, Take it off and wash the radiator real good then dive it and see what happens.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
what he said above....

also - I would take the garden hose, a few beers and stand there and clean the fins front and back until the water runs clear, then do it again for another hour

what is behind the radiator under the hood? - you need to move air across the radiator - its just a heat exchanger - how much mud is caked around the coolant lines that run to the back of the machine

if every little bit helps you are answering your own question

next step is id take the thing on the front that seems like an overly complicated heavy winch mounting plate off 🤟 :cool:

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What year is yours?
My similar setup has been through it all, I have never overheated and even have the "slasher" covered on mine.

Have you done the steep incline burp?
Run it up a hill or winch the front up very high and let it idle for a bit. Leave the radiator cap on as it needs pressure to not boil over at temp.

I still find it odd that some will overheat quickly while others are fine.
It’s a 2019. I have not done the steep incline burp yet.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what is behind the radiator under the hood? - you need to move air across the radiator - its just a heat exchanger - how much mud is caked around the coolant lines that run to the back of the machine
As far as I know; stock components behind the radiator/under the hood. It’s pretty clean, just dust mostly. I deep clean after every wet ride with purple degreaser and a 1500psi pressure washer. Should I use a cleaner on the radiator itself? The coolant lines appear to be clean from the radiator to the firewall (front footwell steering console area) I haven’t dropped my skid plate yet, but the last time I had it off, it was fairly clean.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s a 2019. I have not done the steep incline burp yet.
I think this is ultimately going to resolve your issue. Trapped air will definitely cause coolant system issues. If you’ve added water due to boil overs you should check the remaining fluids temp rating. I can’t think of the proper name of the tool but every auto parts store I’ve been in sells them. You might want to flush and fill the system if it is way off.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just picked up a Radiator Genie spray wand set off the tool truck, I’m going to re-flush out the radiator, clean all the cooling hoses, and burp the tank.
I haven’t added any other fluids to the radiator or overflow bottle, but last time it got hot, the overflow bottle was 1” over the high mark.
Anytime the buggy would get to 4 bars, I’d use a water bottle and some cooler water to spray onto the radiator to cool the buggy down while it was still running.

My next long ride is new years weekend. We’re gonna ride the sugar sand trails of the Ocala National Forest in central Florida. That should work the buggy enough for me to really test the cooling system, and see if it’s fixed.

Reactions: ChadD and NTCPrezJB
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think this is ultimately going to resolve your issue. Trapped air will definitely cause coolant system issues. If you’ve added water due to boil overs you should check the remaining fluids temp rating. I can’t think of the proper name of the tool but every auto parts store I’ve been in sells them. You might want to flush and fill the system if it is way off.
I just drained my coolant by removing the two plugs in the lower metal coolant hoses. Used an automotive vacuum assisted adder. Refilled with Honda 50/50 coolant, ran it, let it sit overnight and topped it off. Loaded it up and took it to TO 2022. Never been over two bars and it gets hot in Mississippi.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Should I use a cleaner on the radiator itself?
Yes. Commercial foaming coil cleaner. or the best degreaser u can get. Spray the F out out it on all areas you can get to and let it set on There for an hr. Then pressure wash it preferably with hot water.

Your issue is not flushing the inners. You've done that. And if it was that, you would have other problems than over heat. You got to burp it tho. Do all that, check it then remove that winch bumper and check it then report back. Work smarter not harder.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Two more cents. How long does in take to overheat? If it over heats in like ten minutes or less then I say you need to burp it. As far as cleaning, I would never use a pressure washer on a radiator. You can damage the fins. Coil cleaner works good. I was alway tought to spray the water hose from the back side of the radiator. I also spray the front but only after I get most of the crap out from spraying from the back side.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two more cents. How long does in take to overheat? If it over heats in like ten minutes or less then I say you need to burp it. As far as cleaning, I would never use a pressure washer on a radiator. You can damage the fins. Coil cleaner works good. I was alway tought to spray the water hose from the back side of the radiator. I also spray the front but only after I get most of the crap out from spraying from the back side.
It takes about 30-45 minutes of steady driving. The last time it overheated I was driving in sugar sand, I had the buggy in 4wd for better traction, and carry some extra weight in the back. (Spare tire, cooler, toolbox, and kids)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The last time it overheated I was driving in sugar sand,
Take that bumper and winch off and try it. Get it more air. I know your hating the idea and your fishing. But Ive seen this more than once with that set up, and one time in person. Just do it and check it off your list. For your sake, I hope Im wrong!
I would never use a pressure washer on a radiator. You can damage the fins.
So says you! 🤣
Being an HVAC tech, fo sho not on those fins cuz they are soft aluminum. Auto and sxs fins are much more firm ridged (NoHmo) kind cuz of the debris, heavy rain, snow, rocks and hail @60-80+ mph. That being said, I wouldnt stand there 2” away for 15min in one spot. I would think @FL_CrackerLife has enough sense not to do that? Lol. Ive use one on both my P1K5 and Talon countless times to get that crap out of the nick and crannies you can’t see. Run into this $hit on AC’s every summer. Looks good form my Yard! Then they have issues, then we separate the 2 sections and well…… customers says! I didnt know that cottonwood could pack itself in there like that? The outside washing i did looked ok to me!
$95 service fee sir! Thank you very much! 🤣

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn’t plan on using a pressure washer to clean it out. I have decent water pressure at home, and compressed air. I really don’t want to have to remove the radiator, but time will tell.
Do y’all think it could be an over weight issue that is making the buggy over work itself?

• Haha
Reactions: ChadD and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I didn’t plan on using a pressure washer to clean it out. I have decent water pressure at home, and compressed air. I really don’t want to have to remove the radiator, but time will tell.
Do y’all think it could be an over weight issue that is making the buggy over work itself?
Knowbody said to remove the radiator! :eek:
Nope, weight wont have anything to do with it unless your over the recommended limit, going uphill hundred plus degree heat.
Your fishin! Lol
Im out

Reactions: ChadD
FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was trying to get away from disconnecting the wires I have in the bumper, I have some rock lights, side lights and my winch remote wired into it. But, that can all be disconnected or cut. Haha.

IMG 7362

Reactions: ChadD
FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Knowbody said to remove the radiator! :eek:
Nope, weight wont have anything to do with it unless your over the recommended limit, going uphill hundred plus degree heat.
Your fishin! Lol
Im out
Not sure what you mean by fishin? I haven’t had an opportunity to work on y’all’s suggestions yet, but hopefully with some pto during the holiday I can get some work done on it and report back. And living in FL the heat can be up there.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not sure what you mean by fishin? I haven’t had an opportunity to work on y’all’s suggestions yet, but hopefully with some pto during the holiday I can get some work done on it and report back. And living in FL the heat can be up there.
By fishin, i mean looking for more options than doing the simple things first.
Ive said this many times on threads. Like I tell my apprentices, dont go in to a no heat or no cool thinking its the most difficult complex thing causing your problem before you check off all the “easy stupid couldnt possibly be” stuff or you will kick yourself in the ass when u waisted all that time just to find out it was a simple 15-30 min job thats commonly overlooked.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would take the radiator right out and clean it. Then burp it after reinstalling. I had to do that yearly on machines with winches and bumpers in front of the radiator.

Another way would be a-arms, portals, and at least 36” tires. Get above the dirt clogging your radiator

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have you ever had the coolant boil out of the reservoir or have you ever had an overheating issue prior to this? If the answer is no, 100 bucks says it's mud you can't see inside the fins. I ran that same bumper for years, and I'm always riding with a heavy load lol. Every single time that my machine was starting to run above 2 bars, it was mud in the radiator. You have to have clean water going through the fins when washing it out or its not actually clean. The only time I had to burp mine was after my first overheating issue due to the fan not coming on and it boiled out coolant.

Last edited:
Reactions: toddvdh

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!