P1000m5 HP1K5 stalled when put in reverse.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Figured I’d share some headaches I had run into. Hopefully the information helps others with a similar or exact situation.

Over the course of the last few weeks, when ever I’d shift into reverse the engine rpm’s would drop, and eventually causing the engine to stall. Which became a huge pain in the backside, especially while loading or unloading the buggy in the toyhauler.
I’m not very skilled in electrical work but I know enough to keep me out of trouble. But after going thru everything I thought might be contributing to the issue (checked all the fluids, replaced the spark plugs, changed the air filter and pulled a fuel sample) it turned out that my backup lights were drawing more power than normal, causing a drop in power and eventually causing the engine to stall. FML. After a few beers, cuss words and talking to a few guys, I unplugged the backup beeper/light plug and all the issues are no longer a problem.
After further diagnosis of the lights, I have noticed that there is evidence of muddy water inside the light housing. It’s odd that it didn’t pop the fuse that controls that accessory, but I will be going thru and making sure that there are no breaks in the wires on the way to the lights, and if all is well I’ll just replace the lights, hoping the new lights will work again.
But for now, I’ll run the weekend with no backup lights. Lol.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad you got the source of the problem found and fixed .

What kind of lights are these? Design and wattage?

The information on them is in the link below.

Operating Voltage: 10-30V
Current Draw(per light): 2.50A*12V
Brightness(per light): 3250lm
Waterproof rate: IP68
Housing Color: Black
Color Temperature: 6000K/3000K
Housing Material: Die Cast Aluminum
Beam pattern Options: Spot beam/Flood beam
Lens: Corrugated Lens/Concave Lens/Convex Lens
Lens material: Polycarbonate
Mounting Bracket: Stainless Steel Side Brackets
Operating temperature: -40℃ - +80℃
Size: 4*2.6*2.48 inch

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Instead of pulling the fuel sample from the fuel pickup tube, I lifted the rear end and siphoned fuel from one of the front corners of the tank thru the fuel fill cap into a glass jar.

Reactions: Remington
FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you Fl_CrackerLife

Your welcome, just trying to keep y’all informed. I couldn’t find any other information on that particular problem, and everyone I talked to didn’t seem to exactly know either.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found the light that was causing the problem. Turns out it had water in it.
Which I can only imagine that it was back feeding or sucking up more power. But I’m no electrician.

IMG 9445 IMG 9446

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ChiCom made?
Yep, I wound up getting a set from the HondaSxS store. They appear to be of the same origin, but they were a helluvalot cheaper.
6 inch LED. 170 degree wide view spot/flood combo.

I’ll try em out and see how they do. The others lasted about 2 years.

IMG 9448 IMG 9449

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the new lights installed this afternoon, and they are Bright! They seem to be better quality than the others I had.
Installed with heat shrink connectors, to ensure that they are waterproof. Tried with just the key on to make sure I had the plug and wires correct. And ran the motor for the final test and shifted into Reverse, the lights came on; and no stall occurred.
Awesome. Can’t wait to get back out on the trails.
IMG 9486

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!